Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of spider is this ?

Options
  • 01-12-2019 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

Just found this on my attic while looking for the Christmas decorations
    Haven't seen one like it before.

In the shots with the black bin bag, it looks reddish but in reality it doesn't look that red - I had the flash on and it came up looking red...

Mod: Your name was visible on that link, so I've removed the URL and I've pasted some of the individual URLs instead.

IMG-20191201-190101.jpg

IMG-20191201-190713.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Oh ! Thanks for that @Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Never saw one like that. But I can still see the photo owner name

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Very unusual spider all right
    Reckon could be some breed of false widow though but the distinctive red is off putting

The red is not really visible under normal lighting - looks mostly shiny black - the red was under the flash

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Then I’d say a false widow but could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

False widow to me, but really needs a better shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

If it's a False Widow, be careful when handling it - they can have a nasty bite.

Here's a better shot (click the pic for even larger):

IMG-20191201-204852.jpg

What should I do with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

That's a False Widow spider. I'd kill it lest it lays eggs. Or you could trap it and release it outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

That's a False Widow spider. I'd kill it lest it lays eggs. Or you could trap it and release it outside.

.........20 miles down the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Have these always been resident in Ireland or just last few years? Just wondering why theyre so prevelant now

khalessi wrote: »
    Have these always been resident in Ireland or just last few years? Just wondering why theyre so prevelant now

Arrived in the 90s and starting to become more widespread.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Had a friend bitten by one ended up in hospital for 3 days nasty little fekrs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

You'll have to burn your house down and move to a different county, sorry OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I would get the house checked for more of them, I wouldn't fancy that thing in my house anywhere. If there is one, there is probably more.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

It's a false widow. We have lots of them around the house and shed and have never had any problem with them. My only concern about them is the damage they are doing to out native spiders. I've often seen remnants house spiders under their webs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bizidea wrote: »
    Had a friend bitten by one ended up in hospital for 3 days nasty little fekrs
    that is an extremely bad - and very unusual - reaction. might they have already been ill? usually it's described as akin to a bee or wasp sting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

that is an extremely bad - and very unusual - reaction. might they have already been ill? usually it's described as akin to a bee or wasp sting.

I ended up having 2 courses of antibiotics and 2 courses of steroids after a bite from one of these.
    I have two scars on my leg where the venom left a hole the size of a euro coin and then traveled up the blood vessel.

For some it's described as a bad bee sting but for many it can cause severe reactions. They are not to be ignored and best removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

He had a bad reaction to the bite ended up on antibiotics as they were worried about septacaemia he was fairly ill.perfectly healthy before the bite in his mid 20s if it was an old person who had the reaction I'd say they might not be here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

Sorry to jump in OP but just found this little bugger in the kids play area
    (2x 1yr and 2.5 yr old so a little concerned)

Is this a false widow

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Sorry to jump in OP but just found this little bugger in the kids play area
    (2x 1yr and 2.5 yr old so a little concerned)

Is this a false widow

Looks like one alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Looks like one alright.

Oh great - now I’m wondering do I torch the Christmas tree that went up last night right beside it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We have them all over the eves, They only tend to stay just outside the attic in the eves space. Never come into the attic space and never once in the house.

No idea why, perhaps they like the space there, ample food or not too warm but they stay there. I must have killed about 30 of them when i had to change the Fascia boards and soffits last year. They needed to go during the works.

But them came back again. Never had any trouble from them. But would share the concern on native species being pushed out. Our house would be rural near forests and farmlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

listermint wrote: »
    We have them all over the eves, They only tend to stay just outside the attic in the eves space. Never come into the attic space and never once in the house.

No idea why, perhaps they like the space there, ample food or not too warm
    Watching. Waiting. Planning. Rustle rustle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

while we're at it whats this....

spider.jpg

found several of them under the old decking back in sept

fryup wrote: »
    while we're at it whats this....

spider.jpg

found several of them under the old decking back in sept

That's how I was bitten. I was resurfacing my decking. When I pulled up the old one there was loads of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

It's not a false widow. It's a Giant house spider. False widow spider has, relative to its head, a large bulbous abdomen.

Advertisement