Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducato (2003) steering boots - why can't I find the third one?

Options
  • 22-11-2019 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭

During a recent oil change, I saw that one of the "vertical" steering boots had split - the one enclosing the bottom end of the steering shaft, where it meets the joint.

No matter how many places I look online, I can't find any site that sells this as a replacement part! All I'm getting are suggestions for boots for the tie-rods (which I will replace too), but they're not the same size. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

During a recent oil change, I saw that one of the "vertical" steering boots had split - the one enclosing the bottom end of the steering shaft, where it meets the joint.

No matter how many places I look online, I can't find any site that sells this as a replacement part! All I'm getting are suggestions for boots for the tie-rods (which I will replace too), but they're not the same size. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

I found this one which is a universal fit, you cut to the size you need and cable tie it in place.

https://www.euspares.co.uk/parts/skf/7614714

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

It doesn't come as separate parts from Fiat or Citroen so you'll have to go with a stretchy version or spray it with wd40 and pretend you didn't see it and carry on for another 10 years :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

It doesn't come as separate parts from Fiat or Citroen ...

Seriously??? :confused:

I tried finding a boot of any kind for any other vehicle, but there didn't seem to be anything of a wide enough diameter that I could use instead. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Seriously??? :confused:

I tried finding a boot of any kind for any other vehicle, but there didn't seem to be anything of a wide enough diameter that I could use instead. :(

Measure the diameter Bailcast do a wide range of sizes I think the biggest is DBSRPS300 which goes to about 70mm.

Thanks for that. It looks like that one is designed to be cut at the "small" end, to leave a bigger opening which would be about right. Will need to recheck all my measurements, though - it's not the easiest place to get to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Have you tried EPER online for part number(you need your VIN)

Didn't know that was available online (my dad bought a download copy years ago, but it would only run under IE6, already obsolete at the time, and I haven't yet got around to hacking it in a reliable fashion ... :rolleyes: )

Anyway:

f2e.na&type=N&key=4120100002

It's the un-labelled boot, to the right and below the bolt & washer marked 4 & 6. All that stuff 9-13 pointing straight at it ... but no part number for the boot itself, which seems to confirm autumnalcore's statement. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Didn't know that was available online (my dad bought a download copy years ago, but it would only run under IE6, already obsolete at the time, and I haven't yet got around to hacking it in a reliable fashion ... :rolleyes: )

Anyway:

f2e.na&type=N&key=4120100002

It's the un-labelled boot, to the right and below the bolt & washer marked 4 & 6. All that stuff 9-13 pointing straight at it ... but no part number for the boot itself, which seems to confirm autumnalcore's statement. :(

Ok ...measure it up do and buy a one that needs to be cut down.
    Not knowing what access is like (sold my Ducato a few years back :( ) I wouldn’t rule out using a split boot. I’ve used them on CV joints and if you do them right they are damn good.
    The trick to using the split boot is to clean the joint as good ash you can then wrap it in cling film so no grease can get near the surfaces to be glued.
    Marty.

Advertisement