Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seiko SBDX023 Marinemaster

Options
  • 05-03-2019 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Tried this on while in Budapest last weekend.

For such an iconic watch, I was very underwhelmed.
    It sits way too high on the wrist and the diameter to me looks out of proportion.
    Then there is the price, it just doesn't seem worth it.

Obviously the fit, finish and feel of the watch is fantastic, but I could never see myself aspiring to owning one.

ddWUMv1h.jpg

a4JHeXAh.jpg

I also tried the black and blue versions of the Sumo.
    The blue version, SBDC003 aka the 'Blumo' is very nice in hand.
    Great fit and finish and, to me, a more pleasing watch on wrist.

GYdOZPfh.jpg

QEHpOqoh.jpg

But having just bought a SRPC23J1 to go with my SRPA21, I don't foresee any new purchases in the near future!

O56sdmCh.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

great thread. ive got the sumo, and i think its probably the best value for money watch, bar none. id love a MM but hdmi warned me off it for the reasons you mentioned. but i have a DWP, and thats high, and it wears comfortable, with no issues. how much was the MM cmar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

The MM300 was HUF 1050000, with works of at around €3330

The sumos were €600 for either the black or blue versions.

I think the MM300 was the SLA021J1 version, although it's identical to the SBDX023 (different market designations only afaik)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

serious amount of money for a MM. id only buy one secondhand. its on the list. but i doubt i could afford one! sumos though, id buy multiples of them in different colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Three grand is crazy money for a MM300 auto. I'm looking at the quartz myself (the blue SBBN037 in particular) they are about a grand RRP. I'm a bit concerned about how it wears too as they are very deep. Would like to try one on first.

Any shop in Ireland have any of these? Either auto or quartz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭55Percent

The braclet doesnt look like it was made for the watch.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Three grand is crazy money for a MM300 auto. I'm looking at the quartz myself (the blue SBBN037 in particular) they are about a grand RRP. I'm a bit concerned about how it wears too as they are very deep. Would like to try one on first.

Any shop in Ireland have any of these? Either auto or quartz.

The MM300 is definitely not one that would fit under a shirt cuff.

I had the SBBN015 years ago, and sold it for the same reason. It felt it was too tall and small diameter. The lack of protruding lugs made it feel small.
    Certainly not the wrist monster that some articles would lead you to believe!

The MM200 (SPB077 and SPB079) are much more elegant and better fitting on the wrist. Maybe another to consider?

Case diameter of the MM300 is 48mm. Hardly too small? :D

I know it's thick alright. I'd like to try it on first.

It's the proportions that make it look off IMO.
    Too tall for the diameter. I'm glad I got a chance to try it on, at least I know I can knock it off my wish-list !

Here's the MM200 I tried on in Dundrum,
    Really nice watch, definitely a step up from the turtles...

QzG5GUwh.jpg

And the blue version (that is way duller in person than online photos would suggest)

al8SFCzh.jpg

• Advertisement

They're all a bit dull compared to this (And I know the picture is 'shopped. Couldn't possibly be that bright :D)

1dd3fbcee449690fe9b817a6388338a4.jpg

But you have me a bit worried, I kinda reckon you have a good point about the watch being very thick. If it was a few hundred quid, I'd take the risk and flip it if I didn't like it. But we are talking a small 4 figure sum even for the quartz here...

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭davmigil

Here's the MM200 I tried on in Dundrum,
    Really nice watch, definitely a step up from the turtles...

Which shop did you see them in, would love to try them on?

davmigil wrote: »
    Which shop did you see them in, would love to try them on?

I think it was Ernest Jones, but can't be sure. It was a good while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭saccades

Tbf, the mm300 is seikos uncompromising tool divers watch, not aimed at desk divers.

It`s a bit like slagging the mercedes unimog for it`s lack of road manners.

Advertisement