Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I bet you didnt know that

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Quazzie wrote: »
    I think you misunderstood my post

Nah I was just being a smartass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,069 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Oldtree wrote: »
    In ye olden days soft silver and gold coins would be clipped (a bit cut off the edge) or shaken in a bag to get silver/gold dust off them. The clippings or dust would be melted and sold on in bars or used to make counterfeit coins.

I have one like the below, Edward the 1st, you can see the clipping clearly. But my coin also has an additional method of cunning silver extraction on it. A small hole in one quadrant where a small bit of silver was punched out.

edward1stclass1alondongvfvf130.jpg

That was why they began putting ridges along the edge. If it was clipped you could tell instantly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Quazzie wrote: »
    90%+ of the worlds population could be hit. Surely they can narrow it down a bit more than that

Yeah they probably just didn't bother their holes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Park ranger Roy C. Sullivan holds the record for being struck the most times by lightening and surviving. He was struck a total of seven times in a 35 year period between 1942 and 1977.

According to wiki:
    The odds of being struck by lightning for a person over the period of 80 years have been roughly estimated as 1:10000. If the lightning strikes were independent events, the probability of being hit seven times would be 1:100007 = 1:1028. These numbers do not quite apply to Sullivan, however, who by the nature of his work was more exposed to storms than the average person. Virginia, where he lived, averages 35 to 45 thunderstorm days per year, most of which fall in June, July, and August.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Sullivan
    He died of a self inflicted gunshot wound in 1977.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Statistics wouldn't be my strong point - but I have to question this maths.

How the hell could you be statistically 10 times more likely to get hit 7 times, than to get hit once?
    By those calculations you're guaranteed to be struck by lightening 10,000 times!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Irish freestate passport. (You’ll never guess what colour :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Statistics wouldn't be my strong point - but I have to question this maths.

How the hell could you be statistically 10 times more likely to get hit 7 times, than to get hit once?
    By those calculations you're guaranteed to be struck by lightening 10,000 times!

It is just the way that the numbers have been copied and pasted. the odds of being struck once are 1:10000. the odds of being struck seven times are 1:10000 to the power of 7 not 1:100007. this is the equivalent of 1:10 to the power of 28 not 1:1028.

To be fair it’s crashing not landing.

I understand that....but still we're talking about a roughly 10,000km band around the equator, over a 4 day time frame. As predictions go, it's pretty much "something is going to happen, somewhere, sometime"

It is just the way that the numbers have been copied and pasted. the odds of being struck once are 1:10000. the odds of being struck seven times are 1:10000 to the power of 7 not 1:100007. this is the equivalent of 1:10 to the power of 28 not 1:1028.

That makes much more sense!:D

• Advertisement

That makes much more sense!:D

Of course if the boards software allowed the use of TeX then this misunderstanding would never have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

white-tires.jpg

Car tyres are naturally white and have to be dyed black.

The song "I dont like mondays" by the boomtown rats was inspired by a real event. In 1979 a 16 year old called Brenda Ann Spencer killed 2 people in an elementary school in San Diego. When a reporter asked her why she did it she answered: "I don't like Mondays. This livens up the day,". She is still in prison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

Human babies are blind for approx. 20 minutes after birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

They're not, they are however extremely short sighted and basically colour blind.

More baby facts https://www.factretriever.com/baby-facts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

mzungu wrote: »
    Park ranger Roy C. Sullivan holds the record for being struck the most times by lightening and surviving. He was struck a total of seven times in a 35 year period between 1942 and 1977.

According to wiki:

If you enjoy stories like this, find yourself the book of narrow escapes

• Advertisement

Not true, babies can see when they're just born but their vision is blurry and while they can differentiate colors, it's easier for them to focus on starkly contrasting images using very dark and very light colors.

They can focus best on objects held about a foot from their faces - where they usually find a parents face. Over the first three months of life their visual acuity improves enormously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Human Infants actually have "better" sight than adults in some ways. Studies have found they have the ability to distinguish ape faces better than adults:

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/296/5571/1321

This is because their visual system has yet to "learn" to concentrate on human faces in particular and not perform a detailed analysis on other animals features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

New Home wrote: »
    And the chap that survived the sinking of three submarines, or something.

Do all submarines not sink??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Battle of Texel was when the cavalry of the French Revolutionary Army captured the Dutch fleet by using the simple tactic of covering the horses hooves with cloth ... to keep the noise down.

The horses were able to get to the ships because the Zuiderzee was frozen over.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

636558412544868810-bowser-map.jpg

Flight record for a blimp being airborne , without refuelling, was 246.2 hours in 1957.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

According to wiki:

I knew a guy that died from being struck by lightning.
    Been terrified of it ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,405 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

4.5 million African slaves were taken to Brazil. This is ten times as many as North America.

https://exoduscry.com/blog/general/history-of-slavery-and-abolition-in-brazil/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Do all submarines not sink??

Usually, they prefer to have a saying in the when and how. But yes, you do have a point, or they'd be.... sub-standard. :pac:

Vikings did not drink out of the skulls of vanquished enemies. This was based on a mistranslation of the skaldic poetic use of ór bjúgviðum hausa (branches of skulls) to refer to drinking horns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Usually, they prefer to have a saying in the when and how. But yes, you do have a point, or they'd be.... sub-standard. :pac:

As opposed to being sub-merged.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Finally, someone gets my sub-liminal messages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

New Home wrote:
    Finally, someone gets my sub-liminal messages!

Sub-standard attempt at a joke.

:p

No, that would have been the submarine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Sub-standard attempt at a joke.

Subtle attempt at humour :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Leonid Rogozov was the only doctor in a Soviet expedition to set up a research base in Antartica. He developed appendicitis in 1961, and being the only doctor, he had but one choice...

https://i.redd.it/jfyh9rxl7mo01.jpg (link slightly NSFW)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Leonid Rogozov was the only doctor in a Soviet expedition to set up a research base in Antartica. He developed appendicitis in 1961, and being the only doctor, he had but one choice...

https://i.redd.it/jfyh9rxl7mo01.jpg (link slightly NSFW)

Fair play to him, he sure was a cut above the rest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Fair play to him, he sure was a cut above the rest!

Or a cut below the vest?

:o

1242.-Rosa-Parks-Freeway.jpg?resize=500%2C500&ssl=1

27.-J.K.-Rowling.jpg?resize=500%2C500

12.-9th-Planet.jpg?resize=500%2C500

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

4.5 million African slaves were taken to Brazil. This is ten times as many as North America.

https://exoduscry.com/blog/general/history-of-slavery-and-abolition-in-brazil/

Slavery was also abolished in Brazil much later than in the US.

Most Latin American nations abolished it at least ten years before the US though.

27.-J.K.-Rowling.jpg?resize=500%2C500

Didn't Chuck Feeney have a net worth in the multiples of billions and gave it all away bar a couple of million?

Just looked it up, snopes have a thing about it:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/j-k-rowling-drops-off-forbes-billionaires-list/

She did fall off the Forbes list partly due to charitable giving but partly due to tax. Also she wasn't the first to fall off the list due to charity, they say that was John Huntsman Sr. in 2010.

Snopes don't mention Feeney but by any measure he was a prolific giver. Dunno if he ceased to be a billionaire before 2010 but he had certainly given away many billions of dollars by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Fact Republic got real old after about 10 seconds.

(I bet you DID know that!)

• Advertisement

47.-Tylenol.jpg?resize=500%2C500

49.-Tic-tacs.jpg

Only in the US, I presume.

Heard that on QI, one serving is deemed to be 1 tictac. 0.0001g sugar per serving (or whatever weight they are)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Heard that on QI, one serving is deemed to be 1 tictac. 0.0001g sugar per serving (or whatever weight they are)

From Tic Tacs own website...

Tic Tac® mints do contain sugar as listed in the ingredient statement. However, since the amount of sugar per serving (1 mint) is less than 0.5 grams, FDA labeling requirements permit the Nutrition Facts to state that there are 0 grams of sugar per serving.

Seems the weight is rounded up or down to the nearest gram so that's how it passes.
    https://www.tictacusa.com/en/faq

My phone can't do multiple app's all that well, I was round down as well.

This is cool and clever!

70.-Soviet-Song-Contest.jpg?resize=500%2C500

It's a bit like that story (I don't know if it's true or not) about the Americans spending millions to develop a pen that would write in zero gravity, whereas the Russians used pencils. :)

• Advertisement

Americans did not need to worry about pencil shavings getting into workings of space craft when pencil needed to be sharpened.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Americans did not need to worry about pencil shavings getting into workings of space craft when pencil needed to be sharpened.

;)

:pac::D

mvku1030631_x.jpg

This is cool and clever!

70.-Soviet-Song-Contest.jpg?resize=500%2C500

It's a bit like that story (I don't know if it's true or not) about the Americans spending million to develop a pen that would write in zero gravity, whereas the Russians used pencils. :)
    Apparently the space pen story is apocryphal. NASA used pencils in space for years but they sometimes break while writing and that's pretty dangerous in micro gravity. But the anti gravity open wasn't developed by NASA but by Fisher pen company, who offered it to NASA for use (developing it didn't cost millions or anything). The Russians also adopted the same pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

Apparently the space pen story is apocryphal. NASA used pencils in space for years but they sometimes break while writing and that's pretty dangerous in micro gravity. But the anti gravity open wasn't developed by NASA but by Fisher pen company, who offered it to NASA for use (developing it didn't cost millions or anything). The Russians also adopted the same pen.

Sell me this Pen

sell_me_this_pen.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars <-- last song played on TOTP

(I didn't read the previous 5k posts :))

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement