Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shows like Game of Thrones

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Well yeah, thats one of the funnier episodes, but a lot more happens in it than just the stuff with Chris and Paulie.. Tony has a lot of **** with his mistresses and the one hes seeing has a melt down.. And her **** carries over into the next episode.. And then there's also the sessions with Dr Melfi, which are very important in the overall arc..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Blacksails

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Spartacus if you enjoy battle/duals.
    Bsg if you like the idea of space white walkers hunting down your heroes.
    gomorrah if you prefer scheming side with a plenty killings.
    Billions if you prefer scheming side with little killing.
    Walking dead if you enjoyed complaining about writing in season 8.
    Chernobyl if you want to see how close we came to a real winter is coming.

Rome is decent watch that doesnt take much investment.
    Last kingdom is meh enough and shouldn't be in the conversation unless all the above is watched Imo as it's fairly predictable. I'd have Vikings ahead of it but its lost it's way a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

The genre is totally different, but if you haven't seen The Americans, I'd definitely give that a watch. The writing and acting are absolutely top notch. Its best episodes are of the same quality as the best ones of GoT. The final season aired last year and it pretty much maintained its quality throughout the 6 seasons. I do remember one season (maybe 4 or 5) that was much slower than the others, but I wouldn't let that dissuade you.

There is one character death that is so sudden (even though you know it is a possibility) it was as surprising to me as the Ned Stark's death.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,854 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I would also recommend Spartacus. Watched the first episode when it first aired but the digital sets and all put me off. Heard later it was good so gave it a second chance and found it great. When the Andy Whitfield got cancer and was getting treatment, the makers didn't recast and made a prequel season which was also good, even though it wasn't originally planned, in order to give him time to be treated and get better. Sadly they had to recast anyway, with his blessing.
    Only about 39 episodes overall and wrapped up, so not a huge commitment.
    I do find it funny when I see so many Spartacus cast members in the Arrowverse shows.

And while not like Game of Thrones in most ways, if you want great hand to hand fights, Banshee is the way to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭eire4

Fontier is a good shout. I just finished all 3 seasons of that recently and really enjoyed it. I would give Black Sails another go. Maybe the last season got a bit dodgy towards the end but I loved all the other seasons. With you on Britannia as well. Dreadful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

Turn: washintons spies... was a decent show. Its about a local farmer who passes info to the revolutionary armies. 4 seasons i think wraps up nicely.

Agree on blacksails was a good watch. Would have loved more Rome. Wasn't a fan of spartacus, i think season 2 turned me off when it was just splashing blood for the sake of splashing blood. 300 cinematography.

Advertisement