Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Pixel 3a and 3a XL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

flugel wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm is 3a from Vodafone is unlocked?

My 3aXL was unlocked. I can only speak to the handset I have but it stands to reason they all are

Can anyone confirm is 3a from Vodafone is unlocked?

It is unlocked. I accidentally ordered 2, so have to return one. Have a 3 SIM in it atm.

Funny thing is that when it had a Vodafone SIM, it had an annoying nag notification to sign into the network that kept coming back. Couldn't get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Great

Ordered a Lyca SIM. Hope to avail of this offer. Seems like a no brainer for €250!

Great

Ordered a Lyca SIM. Hope to avail of this offer. Seems like a no brainer for €250!

Sure is.

I'm gonna use it as my daily driver for a while. Am impressed so far, coming from a Note 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Is the white one ever in stock on Vodafone?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Everyone update to Android 10?

Any issues to be concerned about the upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭micks_address

Question folks,
    Can I get a pixel 3a on Vodafone pay as you go for 250. Then use on different network and throw away the Vodafone Sim and cancel pay as you go?
    Thanks,
    Mick

Everyone update to Android 10?

Any issues to be concerned about the upgrade?

Android ten no issues.. go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

Looking for a new phone. Was thinking about a Xiaomi Mi 9T or 9T Pro. How would the 3a compare to these?
    Mainly would be using the phone for taking pictures and social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Question folks,
    Can I get a pixel 3a on Vodafone pay as you go for 250. Then use on different network and throw away the Vodafone Sim and cancel pay as you go?
    Thanks,
    Mick

Yes. But you need to port in a number to get the phone for 250 EUR. Eir do a sim card for 10 EUR.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is it unlocked?

S.G.M. wrote: »
    Looking for a new phone. Was thinking about a Xiaomi Mi 9T or 9T Pro. How would the 3a compare to these?
    Mainly would be using the phone for taking pictures and social media.

If it’s mainly for taking pictures then get the 3A.

JTMan wrote: »
    Yes. But you need to port in a number to get the phone for 250 EUR. Eir do a sim card for 10 EUR.

You'd have to pay 20 euro for the new number on Vodafone or is included in 250?

You'd have to pay 20 euro for the new number on Vodafone or is included in 250?

You only need to pay €250, nothing else

beauf wrote: »
    Is it unlocked?

Yes

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yes

Do Vodafone stores have stock? It's for inlaws in fermoy

Do Vodafone stores have stock? It's for inlaws in fermoy

None of the ones I asked, and they checked stock in other stores. They said they hadn't seen them in store for months.

You can just order online for delivery to home or a Vodafone store.

None of the ones I asked, and they checked stock in other stores. They said they hadn't seen them in store for months.

You can just order online for delivery to home or a Vodafone store.

When ordering online do you need to put in numbers your porting from?

When ordering online do you need to put in numbers your porting from?

Yes. You can get a sim from Eir for a tenner and port that across.

Yes. You can get a sim from Eir for a tenner and port that across.

Can you order the eir sim online and get the number etc so you can do the order to Vodafone same day or do you need the eir sim in a phone to authorize the port? Apologies I know this is the pixel thread..not the Vodafone support line

• Advertisement

Can you order the eir sim online and get the number etc so you can do the order to Vodafone same day or do you need the eir sim in a phone to authorize the port? Apologies I know this is the pixel thread..not the Vodafone support line

You need the Eir (or other) sim in the phone to authorize the port. You get a code sent to the phone.

Is Tesco a porting option? They are a cheap sim iirc

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Is Tesco a porting option? They are a cheap sim iirc

Of course. In theory you can port from any other operator but some people have reported problems with Vodafone accepting Lyca numbers.

Of course. In theory you can port from any other operator but some people have reported problems with Vodafone accepting Lyca numbers.

I think Lyca isn't in the drop-down options when choosing who you're porting from. I think somewhere in their T's and C's it says they don't accept Lyca as well.

I think Lyca isn't in the drop-down options when choosing who you're porting from. I think somewhere in their T's and C's it says they don't accept Lyca as well.

Ordered two Sims from 48 months...seems like they are free and are in the drop down list with Vodafone to port from..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭smallgarden

There's a detailed thread in bargain alerts how to get the vodafone offer

Ordered two Sims from 48 months...seems like they are free and are in the drop down list with Vodafone to port from..

48 take longer to deliver than eir. I had eir sim within 2 days, 48 4 days. I thought you'd have to activate a membership to get the verification code with 48 but you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The €250 price is online only and only if you're porting a number over to Vodafone, FYI

December patch is out which brings gesture support to third party launcher, along with live caption and live transcribe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Berberis

Would anyone be able to tell me if this phone would work in New York.

Tried looking at the specs on the Vodafone site, but couldn't see any mention of what bandwidths it is

Berberis wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to tell me if this phone would work in New York.

Tried looking at the specs on the Vodafone site, but couldn't see any mention of what bandwidths it is

it will for sure.

as it was released by google whose main market is the US so will have all the US spectrums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

Is it possible to change the up gesture from the bottom to bring up the app drawer straight away instead of the recents?

Italix wrote: »
    Is it possible to change the up gesture from the bottom to bring up the app drawer straight away instead of the recents?

Finally figured out how to change the launcher using the gesture settings.
    This new way Google is doing things is a mistake IMO.

You can move apps up to home screen by clicking and dragging if that helps

you get used to it and then it's better.

it's pushing 18 months old at this stage - hardly new.

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    you get used to it and then it's better.

it's pushing 18 months old at this stage - hardly new.

Cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My missus started using her 3a today, had a couple of questions. What colour setting are people finding the best? Natural, boosted or adaptive? She's not a big fan of Google photos, is anyone using a regular gallery app like default Gallery on Android phones or can that be downloaded from the app store?

Any other starter tips to get the most out of it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Just shoved the sim removal tool into the microphone hole on the top.
    Keep an eye out for that.
    Actual sim card slot is on the side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

'Leaked' Pixel 4A renders - https://www.androidauthority.com/this-is-the-google-pixel-4a-punch-hole-display-headphone-jack-and-a-single-camera-1069957/

Can't see the point of that large square camera module if there's only to be one camera. Will be interesting to see what SoC it launches with, a Snap 765 seems a little optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hi is 3A now readily in stock in Vodafone stores?

• Advertisement

I ran into a slight issue with the charging port, have to wiggle to get it charging. Anyone else come across this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I ran into a slight issue with the charging port, have to wiggle to get it charging. Anyone else come across this?

I'd RMA that with Google if I were you, they should sort it...

Fieldog wrote: »
    I'd RMA that with Google if I were you, they should sort it...

I bought it from Vodafone so I'd imagine I could go to them, but it is charging and it's not too far until May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

How are people getting on with this these days?

Is the battery holding up?

Managed to smash my other phone today and looking for a mid range with a good/great camera (Coming from a P20 Pro)

Very happy with my Pixel 3A.

Battery holding up well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Managed to smash my other phone today and looking for a mid range with a good/great camera (Coming from a P20 Pro)

Got one for the missus, she’s using it since Christmas. Good little phone and decent camera. Screen seems a little small these days at 5” vs 6” on your one. If you think you will get used to a 5” screen I would recommend it for the price (got it for €179). Battery seems okay but it’s only been 4.5 months of use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Keith186 wrote: »
    Got one for the missus, she’s using it since Christmas. Good little phone and decent camera. Screen seems a little small these days at 5” vs 6” on your one. If you think you will get used to a 5” screen I would recommend it for the price (got it for €179). Battery seems okay but it’s only been 4.5 months of use.

Where did you get it for that price? That's brilliant. Screen size is a bit of a worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Had the 3a XL since last June.

The battery is still great. (keep it charged between 20% & 80%)

When not using it at all, i get roughly 2-3 days battery life. (SOT about 7-8 hours)

Very happy with it for the 410 i paid for the XL.

Only thing is the 64GB is pretty small these days. I read the 4a will have a 128GB variant

The 4a will be out soon though. If it was me unless the deal was very good, i'd try and hang on for it.

Where did you get it for that price? That's brilliant. Screen size is a bit of a worry

vodafone if you port a number. that's gone now tho.

in fact you could it for 129 at one point with another 50 euro on a cashback from google (gone also)

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/google/pixel-3a.html?gallery=payg

289 now with a switch.

check adverts as a lot of punters bought them to try to turn a profit

it's a 5.6 inch screen

e.g.

https://www.adverts.ie/other-mobiles/google-pixel-3a/20143303

220 asking. you'd get it for 200

all google phones are unlocked so will work with any network

• Advertisement
Advertisement