Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 3a and 3a XL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Actually, maybe don't yet. Though I assume it'll still install 3.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/amp/2019/06/android-q-beta-4-paused-failure.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

What happens when the Beta program closes? Do they push out the official release to Beta candidates OTA, or do you need unenroll and revert to the public release yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

corwill wrote: »
    What happens when the Beta program closes? Do they push out the official release to Beta candidates OTA, or do you need unenroll and revert to the public release yourself?

You unenroll if you want to get it quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭wingnut

Have to say after using the 3a for a few weeks I am seriously disappointed with the camera performance. Maybe I am missing something.. I came from a Galaxy S7 which is pretty old at this stage. Camera means everything to me in a phone.

I find that the pixel 3a takes good photos but oftens times the focus is soft or there is motion blur. My S7 seems to nail photos everytime where the 3a is more hit and miss. I am regretting not sticking with Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭micks_address

wingnut wrote: »
    Have to say after using the 3a for a few weeks I am seriously disappointed with the camera performance. Maybe I am missing something.. I came from a Galaxy S7 which is pretty old at this stage. Camera means everything to me in a phone.

I find that the pixel 3a takes good photos but oftens times the focus is soft or there is motion blur. My S7 seems to nail photos everytime where the 3a is more hit and miss. I am regretting not sticking with Samsung.

are you using portrait mode or something? i have a 3a and 3xl and get pretty near flawless results.. used the pixel 3xl as camera for a recent family event and printed a bunch of 7 by 5 photos and they looked awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

The 3a and 3a XL are now listed on Vodafone as PAYG phones, though they're both showing as out of stock. As with the Pixel 3, they're cheaper than the Google Store.

Me included mucks_address my 3a is the best photo as well as filming smartphone ever owned by me.

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    The 3a and 3a XL are now listed on Vodafone as PAYG phones, though they're both showing as out of stock. As with the Pixel 3, they're cheaper than the Google Store.

Very attractive at that price.

Anyone looking for a good battery, I can heartily recommend the 3A XL, consistently getting 8.5+ hours screen on time. Took it off full charge on Tuesday evening, still on 18%, 8h15m screen on time. Had put GSAM on out of curiosity, might as well uninstall it, because there's nothing to worry about.

Performance has been just fine for my non-gamer needs. As slick or slicker than my OnePlus 5, which was like $h!the through a goose. Gorgeous screen, great camera, solid audio over Bluetooth. Great yoke altogether.

I currently have a Pixel XL and I'm torn between the 3a and the 3a XL. I'm slightly inclined towards the regular 3a because I'm not sure I want to go any bigger, though there's not too much of a size difference between the XL models. The smaller 3a also has a higher pixel density, so the drop in resolution coming from the Pixel XL might be less apparent. I could wait for the Pixel 4, but that will probably lack a headphone jack and be twice as expensive.

edit: Has anyone seen them on display in any stores other than the one in the airport?

edit: Has anyone seen them on display in any stores other than the one in the airport?

They had none in the city centre Vodafones 3 weeks ago, and I didn't notice any in Dixon's in Terminal 1 this day last week, either.

• Advertisement

Still none in city centre: Henry Street and Grafton Street checked the other day.
    I'm looking for a case for my unlocked 3a

Still none in city centre: Henry Street and Grafton Street checked the other day.
    I'm looking for a case for my unlocked 3a

If it's a wallet friendly tpu cover you're looking for, this is decent, have the XL version: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CruzerLite-Texture-Leather-Anti-Scratch-Absorption/dp/B07RNCT923

Reasonable trade-off between bulk and padding, a lip to keep screen off a flat surface, all cut outs correct and accounted for, and doesn't interfere with the TGSP I have on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Just ordered a 3AXL, hopefully have it some time next week.

One feature I'm missing from OxygenOS is the scrolling screenshot, it allowed you to get an entire webpage, for instance.

Probably a Longshot, given it's a system feature, but does anyone know of an app that would replicate it?

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a 3a. I'm sure I'll regret some part of the purchase, but hopefully I'll be satisfied enough with the phone to brush it off. :P

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a 3a. I'm sure I'll regret some part of the purchase, but hopefully I'll be satisfied enough with the phone to brush it off. :P

Have one myself. Great phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Have one myself. Great phone.

Same here, fantastic battery life and savage camera on it.

Argos have both the 3A and the 3A XL priced at €489.99. Bizarre.

corwill wrote: »
    Argos have both the 3A and the 3A XL priced at €489.99. Bizarre.

If you go into a certain large supermarket chain and ask a member of staff about a certain brand of earphones, or laptop case, they seem to give the standard reply, "try Argos.. Try argos!!?"

My Pixel 3a arrived today and I'm more than happy with it. I was worried about the screen quality, but I prefer it to my Pixel XL's, which I was not expecting. It's a nice size and the camera's fantastic. It's noticeably faster than my XL, too. Hopefully this range of cheaper Pixels continues because I'm very pleased with its first entry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

Is the Pixel 3a the best bang for the buck if camera is the 1st priority? Phone usage is phone calls, texting, email, music and browsing so I don´t think CPU or GPU performance will be an issue.

WEST wrote: »
    Is the Pixel 3a the best bang for the buck if camera is the 1st priority? Phone usage is phone calls, texting, email, music and browsing so I don´t CPU or GPU performance will be an issue.

The 3A will be plenty powerful enough for those uses, and the camera is untouchable at the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 moneyonmymind

Hi all, think I’m going to go for the 3a, from the google store. I saw that google had a promotion where they gave promo codes to people who bought the 3a. The codes provided both the person who gave and who used the code a 50 euro voucher. If anyone has one, I will gratefully use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Sorely tempted at the 3AXL from Google at €409. Would I be mad to go for one of these over an S10E?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭droidman123

rizzee wrote: »
    Sorely tempted at the 3AXL from Google at €409. Would I be mad to go for one of these over an S10E?

Where are you seeing the 3AXL for €409?

Where are you seeing the 3AXL for €409?

Direct from the Google Store Ireland, they have a sale on.

€349 for 3A, €409 for the 3A XL & free delivery on both.

https://store.google.com/ie/product/pixel_3a

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

rizzee wrote: »
    Direct from the Google Store Ireland, they have a sale on.

€349 for 3A, €409 for the 3A XL & free delivery on both.

https://store.google.com/ie/product/pixel_3a

Certainly tempted.

There are better spec'd phones out there for the money, but sometimes it is not about specs (that and i've never had a Pixel before, but if only it was 128Gb:p)

Few days to decide

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Certainly tempted.

There are better spec'd phones out there for the money, but sometimes it is not about specs (that and i've never had a Pixel before, but if only it was 128Gb:p)

Few days to decide

Ah sure you have the Drive and Photos as well :)

Exact same as myself, I'm trying to go for this as value over specs but I've the niggle in the back of my head that I'd get so much more out of an S10e for about 50 euro more than the XL!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Selling points for the Pixel 3a XL are Camera and good battery life and regular updates

They are using eMMC over UFS though and the glass is not Gorilla Glass (some glass tech that there is not much info on it seems) so a Screen protector is probably a must

• Advertisement

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Selling points for the Pixel 3a XL are Camera and good battery life and regular updates

They are using eMMC over UFS though and the glass is not Gorilla Glass (some glass tech that there is not much info on it seems) so a Screen protector is probably a must

I just use cheap skin-tight silicon cover and a flat glass protector on all my phone's anyway. I'm sure I will decide before payday next week :D

Advertisement