Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Pixel 3a and 3a XL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Never mind, resolved the virgin connection problem I was having by adding as new APN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Has anyone seen a display model of either in a Vodafone or other store anywhere in Dublin?

In two minds* as to whether to go for the 3a for handiness and being cheaper versus the 3a XL for screen real estate and the battery. Seeing them in the flesh would resolve my indecision fairly sharpish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭breeno

corwill wrote: »
    Has anyone seen a display model of either in a Vodafone or other store anywhere in Dublin?

In two minds* as to whether to go for the 3a for handiness and being cheaper versus the 3a XL for screen real estate and the battery. Seeing them in the flesh would resolve my indecision fairly sharpish.

I'd also love to know this as I'd like to use one before pulling the trigger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Only in the airport, but i found it to be fine.

I went for the 3A XL, happy enough with the size. Needed a phone straight away, having totalled my OnePlus 5, so I paid the extra tenner to get it from Argos rather than from Google.

Lovely device, can't point to single thing about it that I don't like. I haven't even had a chance to properly try out the camera yet. Silky smooth performance, hard to believe it's 'mid-range' SOC in there. The display is gorgeous, sound quality through bluetooth headphones and speakers very good. A couple of people I've spoken with have complimented call quality versus my old phone. Battery life is excellent, I'm on 6 hours 23 minutes screen on time since my last charge, with 32% remaining, and that's with a couple of hours of listening to podcasts with bluetooth buds today. Delighted with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

I went for the 3A XL, happy enough with the size. Needed a phone straight away, having totalled my OnePlus 5, so I paid the extra tenner to get it from Argos rather than from Google.

Lovely device, can't point to single thing about it that I don't like. I haven't even had a chance to properly try out the camera yet. Silky smooth performance, hard to believe it's 'mid-range' SOC in there. The display is gorgeous, sound quality through bluetooth headphones and speakers very good. A couple of people I've spoken with have complimented call quality versus my old phone. Battery life is excellent, I'm on 6 hours 23 minutes screen on time since my last charge, with 32% remaining, and that's with a couple of hours of listening to podcasts with bluetooth buds today. Delighted with it.

Really does make a mockery of the idea of flagship specs

Lovely device, can't point to single thing about it that I don't like...

Okay, a couple of minor quibbles!

So far, I'm finding that USB C Power Delivery isn't as fast as either OnePlus' Dash/Warp Charge or Qualcomm Quick charge. Also, less potential spare chargers to choose from on Amazon that I can see.

I'd prefer old school back/home/ recent app buttons to the current implementation of gestures, but I understand that Q might be giving us that option, as well as new gestures modelled on what a couple of other manufacturers have been doing on their skins.

Only performance stutter I've noticed is on Hitman Sniper, which I imagine is down to the mid-range GPU. Still playable on 'Medium' quality, just not as pretty. Given the price, I think they could have stretched to a Snap 710 on at least the 3A XL.

But yeah, minor, minor stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

If you opt into Q beta the beta 4 is out and supports the 3a - you'll get a choice of navigation gestures. None are as good as the one plus gestures but otherwise it's running very well on my 3XL.

If you opt into Q beta the beta 4 is out and supports the 3a - you'll get a choice of navigation gestures. None are as good as the one plus gestures but otherwise it's running very well on my 3XL.

Was thinking of that, but I see reports of the latest beta causing issues, and coverage always insists it's not ready for daily driving.

I have the hang of Pie gestures for now, it's not really an issue, just a taste/preference thing, really. Was just pointing out such minor quibbles as I could think of in the interests of balance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I used Beta 3 on my Pixel 3XL with no issues and the gestures were a great addition, couldn't go back after using them. I've stuck Beta 4 on a Pixel 2 since yesterday but haven't seen any issues either.

Actually, maybe don't yet. Though I assume it'll still install 3.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/amp/2019/06/android-q-beta-4-paused-failure.html

What happens when the Beta program closes? Do they push out the official release to Beta candidates OTA, or do you need unenroll and revert to the public release yourself?

What happens when the Beta program closes? Do they push out the official release to Beta candidates OTA, or do you need unenroll and revert to the public release yourself?

You unenroll if you want to get it quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Have to say after using the 3a for a few weeks I am seriously disappointed with the camera performance. Maybe I am missing something.. I came from a Galaxy S7 which is pretty old at this stage. Camera means everything to me in a phone.

I find that the pixel 3a takes good photos but oftens times the focus is soft or there is motion blur. My S7 seems to nail photos everytime where the 3a is more hit and miss. I am regretting not sticking with Samsung.

wingnut wrote: »
    Have to say after using the 3a for a few weeks I am seriously disappointed with the camera performance. Maybe I am missing something.. I came from a Galaxy S7 which is pretty old at this stage. Camera means everything to me in a phone.

I find that the pixel 3a takes good photos but oftens times the focus is soft or there is motion blur. My S7 seems to nail photos everytime where the 3a is more hit and miss. I am regretting not sticking with Samsung.

are you using portrait mode or something? i have a 3a and 3xl and get pretty near flawless results.. used the pixel 3xl as camera for a recent family event and printed a bunch of 7 by 5 photos and they looked awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

The 3a and 3a XL are now listed on Vodafone as PAYG phones, though they're both showing as out of stock. As with the Pixel 3, they're cheaper than the Google Store.

Me included mucks_address my 3a is the best photo as well as filming smartphone ever owned by me.

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    The 3a and 3a XL are now listed on Vodafone as PAYG phones, though they're both showing as out of stock. As with the Pixel 3, they're cheaper than the Google Store.

Very attractive at that price.

Anyone looking for a good battery, I can heartily recommend the 3A XL, consistently getting 8.5+ hours screen on time. Took it off full charge on Tuesday evening, still on 18%, 8h15m screen on time. Had put GSAM on out of curiosity, might as well uninstall it, because there's nothing to worry about.

Performance has been just fine for my non-gamer needs. As slick or slicker than my OnePlus 5, which was like $h!the through a goose. Gorgeous screen, great camera, solid audio over Bluetooth. Great yoke altogether.

I currently have a Pixel XL and I'm torn between the 3a and the 3a XL. I'm slightly inclined towards the regular 3a because I'm not sure I want to go any bigger, though there's not too much of a size difference between the XL models. The smaller 3a also has a higher pixel density, so the drop in resolution coming from the Pixel XL might be less apparent. I could wait for the Pixel 4, but that will probably lack a headphone jack and be twice as expensive.

edit: Has anyone seen them on display in any stores other than the one in the airport?

edit: Has anyone seen them on display in any stores other than the one in the airport?

They had none in the city centre Vodafones 3 weeks ago, and I didn't notice any in Dixon's in Terminal 1 this day last week, either.

• Advertisement

Still none in city centre: Henry Street and Grafton Street checked the other day.
    I'm looking for a case for my unlocked 3a

Still none in city centre: Henry Street and Grafton Street checked the other day.
    I'm looking for a case for my unlocked 3a

If it's a wallet friendly tpu cover you're looking for, this is decent, have the XL version: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CruzerLite-Texture-Leather-Anti-Scratch-Absorption/dp/B07RNCT923

Reasonable trade-off between bulk and padding, a lip to keep screen off a flat surface, all cut outs correct and accounted for, and doesn't interfere with the TGSP I have on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Just ordered a 3AXL, hopefully have it some time next week.

One feature I'm missing from OxygenOS is the scrolling screenshot, it allowed you to get an entire webpage, for instance.

Probably a Longshot, given it's a system feature, but does anyone know of an app that would replicate it?

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a 3a. I'm sure I'll regret some part of the purchase, but hopefully I'll be satisfied enough with the phone to brush it off. :P

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a 3a. I'm sure I'll regret some part of the purchase, but hopefully I'll be satisfied enough with the phone to brush it off. :P

Have one myself. Great phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Have one myself. Great phone.

Same here, fantastic battery life and savage camera on it.

Argos have both the 3A and the 3A XL priced at €489.99. Bizarre.

Argos have both the 3A and the 3A XL priced at €489.99. Bizarre.

If you go into a certain large supermarket chain and ask a member of staff about a certain brand of earphones, or laptop case, they seem to give the standard reply, "try Argos.. Try argos!!?"

My Pixel 3a arrived today and I'm more than happy with it. I was worried about the screen quality, but I prefer it to my Pixel XL's, which I was not expecting. It's a nice size and the camera's fantastic. It's noticeably faster than my XL, too. Hopefully this range of cheaper Pixels continues because I'm very pleased with its first entry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭WEST

Is the Pixel 3a the best bang for the buck if camera is the 1st priority? Phone usage is phone calls, texting, email, music and browsing so I don´t think CPU or GPU performance will be an issue.

WEST wrote: »
    Is the Pixel 3a the best bang for the buck if camera is the 1st priority? Phone usage is phone calls, texting, email, music and browsing so I don´t CPU or GPU performance will be an issue.

The 3A will be plenty powerful enough for those uses, and the camera is untouchable at the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 moneyonmymind

Hi all, think I’m going to go for the 3a, from the google store. I saw that google had a promotion where they gave promo codes to people who bought the 3a. The codes provided both the person who gave and who used the code a 50 euro voucher. If anyone has one, I will gratefully use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Sorely tempted at the 3AXL from Google at €409. Would I be mad to go for one of these over an S10E?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

rizzee wrote: »
    Sorely tempted at the 3AXL from Google at €409. Would I be mad to go for one of these over an S10E?

Where are you seeing the 3AXL for €409?

Where are you seeing the 3AXL for €409?

Direct from the Google Store Ireland, they have a sale on.

€349 for 3A, €409 for the 3A XL & free delivery on both.

https://store.google.com/ie/product/pixel_3a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

rizzee wrote: »
    Direct from the Google Store Ireland, they have a sale on.

€349 for 3A, €409 for the 3A XL & free delivery on both.

Certainly tempted.

There are better spec'd phones out there for the money, but sometimes it is not about specs (that and i've never had a Pixel before, but if only it was 128Gb:p)

Few days to decide

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Certainly tempted.

There are better spec'd phones out there for the money, but sometimes it is not about specs (that and i've never had a Pixel before, but if only it was 128Gb:p)

Few days to decide

Ah sure you have the Drive and Photos as well :)

Exact same as myself, I'm trying to go for this as value over specs but I've the niggle in the back of my head that I'd get so much more out of an S10e for about 50 euro more than the XL!

Selling points for the Pixel 3a XL are Camera and good battery life and regular updates

They are using eMMC over UFS though and the glass is not Gorilla Glass (some glass tech that there is not much info on it seems) so a Screen protector is probably a must

• Advertisement

Selling points for the Pixel 3a XL are Camera and good battery life and regular updates

They are using eMMC over UFS though and the glass is not Gorilla Glass (some glass tech that there is not much info on it seems) so a Screen protector is probably a must

I just use cheap skin-tight silicon cover and a flat glass protector on all my phone's anyway. I'm sure I will decide before payday next week :D

... and the glass is not Gorilla Glass (some glass tech that there is not much info on it seems) so a Screen protector is probably a must

The glass is Dragontrail, Xiaomi use it on some of their handsets, so do Sony, iirc.

https://www.androidauthority.com/gorilla-glass-comparison-886866/

With a tempered glass screen protector on, I doubt there's any material difference.

Am bitter about that sale price! Must have another go at talking my wife into a 3A.

The glass is Dragontrail.

Really appreciate the information corwill

DXOMark have given the 3A's camera a score of 100 - https://www.dxomark.com/google-pixel-3a-camera-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tedcrilly

Hi ...following up on this thread - any updates on how 3a has performed for ye all?
    I missed out on the discount period. Did anyone get a promo code that they are not using by any chance , would be most grateful (PM me ?)
    Thx TC

tedcrilly wrote: »
    Hi ...following up on this thread - any updates on how 3a has performed for ye all?
    I missed out on the discount period. Did anyone get a promo code that they are not using by any chance , would be most grateful (PM me ?)
    Thx TC

i have mine since release day in US and I have no complaints... its relegated my pixel 3xl to hardly any use... ill be selling the 3xl when i get back to dublin mid august.. the xl is faster, has bigger screen, mine is 128gb but honestly ive grown to prefer the 3as size and have had no speed issues at all. I can see myself using a tablet to do web browsing as the 3a screen is a bit small for a lot of that.. but the camera is identical apart from a little slower at hdr processing... nothing that would stop me from using. Its really a sweet spot in terms of performance and value for money..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

I'm thinking about getting the 3a or 3a XL to replace my Nokia 7 Plus. I was just wondering is the price difference between the 3a and 3a XL justified? I'm used to devices with 6 inch screens now but the XL in around €90 more on Vodafone so without being able to compare them in the flesh is the XL worth a punt over its smaller brother?

Phat Cat wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting the 3a or 3a XL to replace my Nokia 7 Plus. I was just wondering is the price difference between the 3a and 3a XL justified? I'm used to devices with 6 inch screens now but the XL in around €90 more on Vodafone so without being able to compare them in the flesh is the XL worth a punt over its smaller brother?

only difference is screen size... if you want or are comfortable with the bigger size then 90 euro is small price to pay.. i actually quite like the smaller size of on the 3a.. having used the 3xl for nearly a year it feels like a tablet in comparison.. ill be putting my 3xl up on adverts next week when i get back from the US as i havent used it in 3 months here

I'm going to bite the bullet on the XL but Vodafone only seem to have it on their online store.
    I'm a 3 billpay customer and was wondering will there be any hassle getting it on Vodafone Pay As You Go, then discarding their SIM, and continuing using my 3 SIM?
    I'd obviously prefer to get it in store with no questions asked without giving them all of my details online.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Phat Cat wrote: »
    I'm going to bite the bullet on the XL but Vodafone only seem to have it on their online store.
    I'm a 3 billpay customer and was wondering will there be any hassle getting it on Vodafone Pay As You Go, then discarding their SIM, and continuing using my 3 SIM?
    I'd obviously prefer to get it in store with no questions asked without giving them all of my details online.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Check with a store and if they don't have it in stock ask them to check which stores do

There is €50 off both the Pixal 3a & 3a XL on the Google Store

• Advertisement
Advertisement