Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Christmas Trend you wish would go away?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yeah f*ck Brenda.

Also miserable bint is quite possibly my new most favourite thing ever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

One trend I could do without is the inevitable weight gain. :pac:

6cdf099b8e7266321c7284d959adeaf1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I also feel The Late Late Toy Show should be a bit more Christmassy. It looks more like a musical than a show associated with Christmas.

Completely agree. Instead of a Disney theme they could just sing lots of Christmas songs instead of the token one song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Definitely fed up of Christmas ending on Dec 25th.  In my world, Christmas doesn't end until midnight on Jan 6th. 
    Shops should be closed on St Stephens Day in general.  I know one of the local small garage shops opened last couple of years on Christmas Day for the batteries etc, but they are not Christians, so they don't celebrate Christmas - fine if individuals make that decision.  But the big dept stores/supermarkets etc should remain closed and not expect staff who are dead on their feet from the mad rush up to Christmas to be in work at stupid o'clock on Stephens Day.  Personally, it would be the 28th/29th before I even want to leave the house, never mind go shopping.  In fact maybe move the January sales back to January altogether and let Christmas extend to what it should be!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭DvB

This thread may as well be written just for me....

I am incredibly old fashioned/old school/whatever about Christmas and the modern day evolution of christmas is in the vast majority of instances not good... most of the follwoing items I'll have mentioned on here previously as little things that bug me, generally I accept them as simply being thats the way it is nowadays & get over yourself but I still bemoan the fact they're not what they used to be.... hope that makes sense & I dont sound too grinchy!!

Anyway, my gripes...

1. Christmas music stopping at midnight on the 25th.... why? When I were a kid it was christmas tunes & jolly stuff right up until Jan 2nd... why has this stopped? Why have such a build up to chuck it all the bin the minute the clock hits midnight!?

2. Shops opening on Christmas day... no, no, no, no, no!!! People have 364/365 days to prepare for one day without the luxury of havuing somewhere spending more money... One of the greatest things in my memories of christmas growing up was the fact the whole country came to stop & allowed families spend time together, in todays world were we rush around constantly its never been more important to acknowledge family & friends IMO & not just 'head to the shops'

3. 12 pubs.... no! I'm at an age where I want to find one nice pub, cosy corner & chat with my mates. Partaking in such an event involving the chugging of large quantities of alcohol in a rammed sweltering hot pub whilst wearing an outrageous wooly jumper and then moving to another 11 just like it... no, just no! Having my quiet chat & pint ruined by an endless stream of these people is also less than enjoyable.... and fighting my way to the bar through them & their 'its all bants innit' is just, well, no!

4. New age christmas jumpers... no. Either retro or not at all IMO, the link between the newer outrageous (& tacky) ones worn as outlined in 3. above is no.

5. Christmas being 'earlier every year' ... eh, no! Its the same every year for as long as I can remember & I'll start talking about it when I want to. I listen to you talk cr*p about all sorts all year so I'll talk about crimbo from September if i want to. And maybe if you planned for it better you wouldnt be whinging about the having to go to the shops on christmas day to pick up batteries or suchlike (I'll refer you back to 2. above for that one)

6. The reference to christmas as 'the holidays' & 'happy holidays' & suchlike & the removal of the use of the word christmas...NO!!! Its christmas in this part of the world, always was & always will be, its not some heathen, muslim or jewish festival, & thats fine, but the country you live in (ireland) is predominantly christian and likes to refer to the festival at that time of year as christmas... so we'll actually use the name christmas if thats okay with you, so deal with it!

7... I'll need to continue this in another post, have to do some work!!:D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

The now annual social media moaners who have to post about BT's Christmas Shop :mad:

1. Some people love it.
    2. BT is a big shop with several other departments.
    3. No-one is forcing you to look at the decorations and trees, so kindly..
    4. Bore Off!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

This will make me sound like the Grinch but I wish that Christmas only happened every second year.
    The years roll round so fast now that it only feels like six months between each Christmas.
    There's too much expense and effort for it to happen every year.
    I vote for a Christmas on even years only.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I think its all been said, shops closed, silly Christmas jumpers, blue lights.

I didnt think anyone over about 28 did the 12 pubs thing? I agree with DvB, cosy corner and not having to move constantly.

I live in a muslim country and wish people a happy eid or ramadan in their native tongue so we should still to Merry Christmas not water it down to holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Elf on the shelf and the whole "santa is watching" crap annoys me. To us it's all a bit of fun but some kids get genuinely anxious over it and it's just not fair. Using something joyous and loving and turning it into a tool to manipulate kids.
    (I know some of you do the elf but it seems to be all fun and mischief which is cute, I mean the elf who reports back and spies on the kids)

SANTA CAM is another example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ohh that is a good one, hate that stupid ELF and his friends. I just think they take all the imagination out of Christmas and the wonder. Before you just saw the main man in the shopping centre and that was it, now you can watch him everywhere or his stupid Elf is watching you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

Milly33 wrote:
    Ohh that is a good one, hate that stupid ELF and his friends. I just think they take all the imagination out of Christmas and the wonder. Before you just saw the main man in the shopping centre and that was it, now you can watch him everywhere or his stupid Elf is watching you.

In a way I agree with you , no elf in my time , but ... My three love it . Seriously they live for the elf arriving and then every morning running downstairs to see where he is . Kinda makes me wish I had one but in another one glad I didn't, if you know what I mean !!!!

I get you, still though he annoys the crap out of me what happened to the good old robin

Milly33 wrote:
    I get you, still though he annoys the crap out of me what happened to the good old robin

ya I get you too . there's too much for kids nowadays it's kind of overwhelming, but a bit of me still wishes I was young enough to revel in it ! just to see it all through their eyes .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,272 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Somebody got me an elf on the shelf when I was about 24 so when they were at work I plagued them with pictures.

Somebody got me an elf on the shelf when I was about 24 so when they were at work I plagued them with pictures.

Love it ! I love doing mad things with elf for when they come downstairs in the morning . Ah feck it it's our kids generation's nostalgia isn't it ?? it's gonna be different to ours whatever way we look at it .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,272 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I like the Christmas RTE Guide but I prefer when the cover is an actually photo shoot and everybody is dressed Christmassy in a Christmas environment than this drawing the last years.(l know some love it)
    You can look at where it is and everything is bought/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I like the Christmas RTE Guide but I prefer when the cover is an actually photo shoot and everybody is dressed Christmassy in a Christmas environment than this drawing the last years.(l know some love it)
    You can look at where it is and everything is bought/etc.

The cheesey looking 80's style Christmas RTE guides were the best...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

This will make me sound like the Grinch but I wish that Christmas only happened every second year.
    The years roll round so fast now that it only feels like six months between each Christmas.
    There's too much expense and effort for it to happen every year.
    I vote for a Christmas on even years only.

Think you’re posting in the wrong forum😀

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Toots wrote: »

Elf on the shelf. It's creepy as all get out and I'm under serious pressure from the little dude to get one.

Totally with you on this one. A massive marketing ploy that just adds more pressure to parents. Made worse by people sticking their noses in about how naughty their elf is and the mischief he gets up to...
    Isn't the elf supposed to be good? Just like Santa would want?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Totally with you on this one. A massive marketing ploy that just adds more pressure to parents. Made worse by people sticking their noses in about how naughty their elf is and the mischief he gets up to...
    Isn't the elf supposed to be good? Just like Santa would want?

The elf is posessed by the divil! God, everything about it just creeps me out and I know for sure that at some stage my husband would think it was absolutely hilarious to stick it on my pillow in the middle of the night, and I'd wake to see it's creepy dead eyes staring at me and scream the place down. :o My SIL does daily facebook posts about where their elf ended up every morning. I nearly unfriended her for the duration!

I agree the "santa is watching" thing can be a bit much, however last year it was like someone flipped a switch on December 1st and turned my normally-well-behaved 6 year old into the antichrist. I got an app on my phone where Santa rings the child and talks to them using their real name. You can pick why he's calling so say I could get him to call to warn my little dude about the naughty list because he wouldn't eat his dinner. Conversely, he also called to say well done to him for being brave at the doctor and getting his flu jab, so it worked both ways.

Another "trend" I wish would go away is the utter un-preparedness of the likes of Parcel Motel for the Christmas shopping season. It's not like they don't know it's coming - it's the same date every year! Yet every year it's utter mayhem if you order anything online after mid november.

• Advertisement

haha laughing at you text " It's not like they don't know it's coming - it's the same date every year!" that was my rant in hospital last year after waiting hours to be discharged with our little miss.. I was going whether they liked it or not..

Must read through more of these, I am trying to think of some nice Christmas tradition to do this year for herself..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Milly33 wrote: »
    haha laughing at you text " It's not like they don't know it's coming - it's the same date every year!" that was my rant in hospital last year after waiting hours to be discharged with our little miss.. I was going whether they liked it or not..

Must read through more of these, I am trying to think of some nice Christmas tradition to do this year for herself..

Hey Milly!! :)

How is the little one?

Hello Hello!! Oh the little miss is a dream, weak for her

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

Very interesting thread.

Hmmm... what trend would I pick? Ah. Twelve pubs.

Spoken like a true consummate lightweight. That's not saying I don't enjoy the closeness with friends that you really get at Christmas though. ;)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

KevW24601 wrote: »
    Very interesting thread.

Hmmm... what trend would I pick? Ah. Twelve pubs.

Spoken like a true consummate lightweight. That's not saying I don't enjoy the closeness with friends that you really get at Christmas though. ;)

12 pubs for me consisted of 12 glasses of diet coke. SO much caffeine! I'd say I was worse than the drunks :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Toots wrote: »
    12 pubs for me consisted of 12 glasses of diet coke. SO much caffeine! I'd say I was worse than the drunks :o

Well at least you didn't have the sugar hangover I get! It's worse than the booze!! :pac::pac::pac:

Haha I think she might be a bit young yet for the 12pubs, but maybe we could.. I wish they done that properly too and it wasn't just a mad binge.. Like it should be maybe visit 12 festive pubs and have a festive drink in each, rather than what goes on...

Getting all excited now last year we started Christmas mid novemeber just so we could relax and enjoy it more, made a huge difference.. Planning the same this year now thanks thread you have got me thinking already

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Whispered wrote: »
    Elf on the shelf and the whole "santa is watching" crap annoys me. To us it's all a bit of fun but some kids get genuinely anxious over it and it's just not fair. Using something joyous and loving and turning it into a tool to manipulate kids.
    (I know some of you do the elf but it seems to be all fun and mischief which is cute, I mean the elf who reports back and spies on the kids)

SANTA CAM is another example.

I agree completely. I have never, ever, ever told S that Santa's coming and gift giving would be conditional on his behaviour. I've told him that he comes to all kids who love him and celebrate Christmas. But last year he picked the 'Santa won't come if you are naughty' thing up from somewhere and the stress it caused him was utterly unbelievable. He was crying at night with the stress of it and just couldn't take my word for it that Santa comes to all children who love him and understands that we're not all perfect all the time. I ended up having to go on a website that showed him as being on the 'nice list' and show it to him every time he got stressed. And even that was just a temporary relief of stress as it was like he knew he was ok, but feared he could still mess up before the big day. It's a horrendous aspect of the myth.

We do have a Tomte (a Swedish Christmas gnome) who does silly things at night and Marshmelfie, the marshmallow elf, who always fills the marshmallow bowl with tiny white marshmallows whenever we need them for hot chocolate. And last year we got a Santa Cam as they are actually the only cameras fast enough to take a photo of Santa when he's at your house. So we hung that up on Christmas eve and caught a snap of Santa, though he obviously knew what we were up to and was ok with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah iguana that's terrible. Poor chap. They tried to tell the babies (1-3yr olds) in my little fellas last playschool that santa wouldn't come, that they'd call santa etc. Even when I went up about it they continued. He's starting a new school this year and it doesn't seem to be the type of place. Much more into child development and actual causes of behaviour (as opposed to just behaviour management).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I hate christmas ads. The way some soulless multinational tugs at your heartstrings to pretend it's all about family feels obviously manipulative, and insulting that the makers of the Ad think you're stupid enough to fall for it.

Advertisement