Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just done grade 2, nerve wrecking

Options
  • 24-04-2013 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

hi guys just done my grade 2 piano exam earlier today. was confident enough the night before but on the day just didnt feel good. i blurred some of the scales and for my first piece i was 3 bars from the end and i had a complete blank couldnt continue. the examiner asked me would i like to start again and i did. second time round i done it perfectly. will i still loose lots of marks because i had a second attempt? the next 2 pieces had a couple of wrong notes, second piece i started on the wrong notes and forgot to use the pedal here an there. does anyone really know how the examiner marks you up or down? what causes you to lose the most marks and what do they overlook in the exam and dont dock too many marks?

i know i really shouldnt be doing the post mortem and just wait for my results but really hoped to do well. i'm pretty sure i past it but was wondering how they mark you, anyone know?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Honestly, rarely is it as bad as you think it is. Especially in the early grades. They're looking for reasons to throw good results at you.

Funny story - my cousin was doing a piano exam years ago (can't remember which grade, might have been 5 or 6). She messed up the page turn for her first piece and somehow flung herself sideways off the stool mid-piece. She still came out of it with an honours grade ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Danny don't worry, I know that some of my students have got comments such as "recovered well after little mishap" after making mistakes in exams. Like fluorescence said, it's rarely as bad as you think. Nothing you can do now only relax and get cracking on grade 3. Some lovely pieces on that for 2013 if you're intending on doing it this year.

And LOL at Fluorescence cousin! Gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭dannyc31

thanks guys. hopefully i done well so ;) i found grade 2 intense enough as i really only started learning the pieces start of January so only had 4 months. dont think i'd like to try do my grade3 in such a short space of time again. what way does it work, how many exam times a year is there? like if i went onto grade 3 now when is the first time i could enter into exam and when is the last time i could enter for the same exam being tested before the sylabus changes? do they change every January?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

For most exam boards, there are exam sessions 3 times a year (spring, summer and winter). For the early grades, RIAM change the syllabus once a year but you can still do the pieces in the spring session the following year) and with ABRSM the syllabus is 2 years. The current syllabus for ABRSM is 2013-14, and the last exam session will be march 2015 for the current pieces

Advertisement