Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convert DVD to VCD here...or other questions..

• 09-11-2003 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Here's a free package to do the whole lot, from start to finish, with VERY comprehensive and simple instructions. I wrote the instructions up myself a few years back.
    You can download it from my site here:
    http://www.dudemasters.com/software.html
    It's called "DVD Ripper"

Also, if anyone has any questions about video editing, feel free to ask - I have years of experience with linear and non-linear systems, especially Adobe and Avid software. Also, any questions about format conversions and compression (audio & video).

TBH, I never saw what the big deal was with DivX. MPEG1 is just as good, and WMV files are far better.

e.g.
    DIV X File:
    Res: 320x240
    Framerate: 25fps
    Duration: 1min 39sec
    Filesize: 12.7MB

WMV File:
    Res: 384x288
    Framerate: 25fps
    Duration: 2min 22sec
    Filesize: 5.41MB

See - the "WMV" file is half the size, and a longer duration - and better resolution.
    These are just examples of files from my PC that I've created.

Good idea for a board BTW.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Any helpful guides on how to rip subtitles? I've just made my first backup of a DVD with the provided info, so cheers for that...

I did have to play around with the aspect ratio though, just a case of setting it to 16:9 before using the mpeg encoder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Haven't clue about ripping subtitles from a DVD - never needed to before. There's probably a setting in the "Smartripper" or "DVD2AVI" programmes.

Is it is the complete DVD Ripper from my website that you tried?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Yeah, that's the one I used. There was mention of subtitles after I copied the DVD files across, but I thought you had to copy the subtitles afterwards and place them over the Mpeg... I'll go do some of my own research on that.

Anyway... thanks again for the guide and software recomendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Originally posted by Lodgepole
    Any helpful guides on how to rip subtitles? I've just made my first backup of a DVD with the provided info, so cheers for that...

Use either Subrip or Vobsub
    Subrip uses OCR to rip subs so is a bit time consuming while Vobsub preserves them as original. Vobsub will also install the needed playback filter for subs. Here's an auld guide.

Originally posted by Lodgepole
    I did have to play around with the aspect ratio though, just a case of setting it to 16:9 before using the mpeg encoder.

The aspect is set in the video header so there should be an option in most MPEG encoders to set the AR before you hit encode. Don't worry as this can be modifed later with certain mpg patches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

But that comparison between mpg and wmv is as valid as the 'my piece of string is longer than your piece of string' one. Each have compression settings which you can't do a comparison without.

I recently saved an 11mb video. I wanted it smaller, so by adjusting the kbps and sacrificing a little more quality, I got it down to 3mb at the same res and fps. Still an mpg file of 352x288 and same duration in both cases.

Personally I think the way wmvs compress looks really ugly compared to mpgs (mpeg1). But that's subjective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

When it's ultra low bitrate then any MPEG-4 based codec will destroy Mpeg1 or 2.
    Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

I was comparing DivX and WMV - not DivX and MPEG1.

I know the settings can be changed for exporting using the DivX codec, but the main point I was getting at was that I don't see all the fuss about DivX movies. Some people cream themselves at how good DivX is, but IMO there are better methods of compression out there. Namely nerds who download "DivX" movies before they are released here.
    e.g.
    "I downloaded the Matrix on DivX - the quality is AMAZING. DivX is such a revolutionary breakthrough in video compression". :rolleyes:
    I'm just saying I don't see the big deal about it.

The best way to compress at full broadcast resolution is definately multiplexed MPEG2. (BTW ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

I know you were, but I still wanted to point out that you need to take compression into account to make a fairer judgement. I happened to use mpg's in the example because I'd actually just saved one at 2 different sizes.

Advertisement