Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digital Camcorder advice

• 23-11-2003 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good digital camcorder? Which is better, dv or memory stick?

I know f**k all about camcorders, so some basic advice required please...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Check out this recent thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=123777
    Answers a lot of questions.
    Which is better, dv or memory stick?
    Hmm, not sure how to answer that one really.
    Most digital camcorders will use Digital8 tapes, I think you'd be paying through the nose if you wanted a solid-state memory solution with large enough capacity to hold a decent length of full quality PAL video.
    :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

Those camcorders that come with memory sticks still use dv tape. The memory stick is more of a gimicky extra for storing photos and mpeg video clips.
    The video size is so large that you have to either use tape, or some bulk storage and a lot of extras. The latter is out of reach of almost everyone except those in film.

Most digi camcorders use mini-dv tapes over digi8 these days. There's still plenty of digi8's though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

I'm looking for advice on getting theCanon ZR60 MiniDV Digital Camcorder. Also amazon is the cheapest place I could find for this spec digital camcorder. Does anyone know of any cheaper places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Ok, i've found a great camcorder JVC GRDV500 Mini DV Cybercam NIB. I can get it for €455. There are pics of it here . By the specs it is excellent and by the customer reviews it seems to be a great camcorder. Looks great, great price. What ye think?

• Advertisement

This camera, the JVC GR-DV500 Camcorder, can be bought at ebay here . And they say it comes with $905 worth of extras. The price is only US $549.99 and i've seen it in most places for $800 at least. Do you think the company are credible?? They are called ShopSunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

JVC are meant to be kind of **** for support/technical problems, according to some of the other guys on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

NEVER buy a JVC camera. They are all blurry and take ages to auto focus. Terrible, terrible cameras.

We filmed a sports event before with 2 Sony cameras, and 1 JVC. We couldn't even USE the JVC footage afterwards at all because the shots looked so bad.

I strongly advise you NOT to buy JVC.

Buy a Sony DCR-TRV50E.

They cost less than that camera you are looking at.

Oh yeah, don't buy one from the US unless you are 100% sure it is PAL. An NTSC camera will be useless to you, unless you have NTSC tapes you want to import...

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?query=sony+trv&socurrencydisplay=2&maxrecordsreturned=300&salocatedincountry=3&ht=1&sosortproperty=1&from=R10&sorecordsperpage=50&BasicSearch=

Surely ALL JVC's cant be bad. Maybe the one your were using wasnt a good make. If ALL JVC cameras are all blurry and take ages to auto focus then nobody would by them and they'd go out of business. Has the Sony DCR-TRV50E more or less the specs as the JVC i mentioned?

Look at the reviews of the JVC GR-DV500. They are all positive responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Hmmmmm what are you doing using auto focus?! For an outdoor even with lots of light, there should be a rather large field of focus.... I'm assuming it was out doors. Get an eye sharp on a player at the far side of the pitch. Do this by zooming in, focusing, zooming out and everything should remain in focus..... Using a sign would probably be a better idea, less movement ;)

Autofocus....... Auto anything stinks of píss.

John

• Advertisement
Advertisement