Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording from my TV on to my PC

Options
  • 30-10-2003 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm able to record visuals off my PC on to my TV using N-View with my GeForce 4. I'm just wondering how I reverse this and record my TV stuff on to my PC. Is there a way I can just use some option on the GeForce card or do I have to buy a special video capture card? I haven't managed to work out the sound yet but that's for another day and another thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

That depends entirely on the card, but usually you have to buy a seperate video tuner card. I have a geforce 4 TI4800se and it has an input on the card but unless you see in the graphics card manual that it supports video capture you're gonna have to buy a seperate card. Sound is usually supported by a good card direct into the card itself but on cheaper versions you connect the sound with whatever adapter needed to your line in port on your soundcard.

Personally I would love to buy the ATI radeon 9800 All in Wonder PRO which has way more power that a GF4[if you have the money] and the ability to record video as well as display your desktop on your TV.

Hope I was of some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

It's only the GeForce4 Ti4200 which is a bit of a budget card really. Looks like I'll have to splash out on a video input card, how much would that set me back and could I maybe pick up that old Voodoo PCI TV card cheap and use that?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

I'm not sure. You should pick one up for less than €100.

Check for a price on www.komplett.ie under graphics cards\tv tuner pci [the usb one is €238 and for that price you could get a new graphics card]

Or if you don't have access to a credit card you can check out www.peats.ie and then head to Parnell street if you're in or near Dublin (but you'll pay nearly twice as much in a shop)

Actually, I just saw a PCI card on komplett just there for €55. so there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I sold my TI4200 and bought an ATI radeon all in wonder card (9000 I think) . The ATI is a capture card/tuner card/graphics card in 1. It comes with software which will allow you to record from it's tuner software. It's software even had a VCR which will allow you to program the channels you want to record from. Fantastic card in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

i will probably be gettin a new card in a couple of weeks, so ill happilly sell you my old card [radeon 9200 i think, ill check when i get home] for a knock down price. tv in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Thanks Jim, sounds like a great deal. Will I have to swap between the 9200 and the Ti4200 when I want to record stuff though? Also is the 9200 more powerful than the Ti4200?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

If you want to use your graphics card in tandom with your capture card you might be better off buying a seperate tuner card.

Advertisement