Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Prime time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the only important question is;

are we going to repeat the mistakes made in other western EU countries in relation to immigration? are we going to allow parallel societies to develop? ghettoisation? lack of integration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

mynamejeff wrote: »
    it came on when i turned the tv on and the first thing i saw was the horrible populist liberal fcuktard brid smith so i immediately turned it off again

i dont need that sort of stupid in my life

:confused: Had to google brid smith. I miss out on all the fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Yurt! wrote: »
    I suspect, and I don't have any data to back this up, that the numbers are quite a bit in excess of the CSO reported figures.

I would be inclined to think that inward migration from non-EU countries are far more in excess than the numbers provided by the CSO. These are numbers impossible to obtain obviously, but looking at nearby towns and cities, the dramatic population change in the last couple of year can be easily seen. This is a taboo subject, so no sitting politician would risk popping their head over the parapet to ask for a discussion about it.

Is it causing issues?
    Most definitely it is.
    In crowded GP offices, in overstretched hospitals where we already have people suffering the indignity of trolly-care, in the availability of affordable homes for people who are already living here. And if you look at homelessness (and I use that word loosely), the Dublin Region Homeless Executive says 21% of the new families presenting as homeless last year were non-EU citizens.
    You could also talk about the impact on school places, cost to the exchequer on welfare provisions etc. etc.

So definitely, non-EU migration is causing issues.
    And it is a subject that should be discussed openly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Kivaro wrote: »
    I would be inclined to think that inward migration from non-EU countries are far more in excess than the numbers provided by the CSO. These are numbers impossible to obtain obviously, but looking at nearby towns and cities, the dramatic population change in the last couple of year can be easily seen. This is a taboo subject, so no sitting politician would risk popping their head over the parapet to ask for a discussion about it.

Is it causing issues?
    Most definitely it is.
    In crowded GP offices, in overstretched hospitals where we already have people suffering the indignity of trolly-care, in the availability of affordable homes for people who are already living here. And if you look at homelessness (and I use that word loosely), the Dublin Region Homeless Executive says 21% of the new families presenting as homeless last year were non-EU citizens.
    You could also talk about the impact on school places, cost to the exchequer on welfare provisions etc. etc.

Are any of them working and paying taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I doubt anybody has a clue how many people are in the country illegally, its bound to be far higher than reported.

I shared with quite a few foreigners and none ever filled in the census and they were here legally. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

mariaalice wrote: »
    Are any of them working and paying taxes?

You would think ones that were issued with PPSN numbers while students in English language centres or whatever are likely to yes. There will be many who work in the black economy off the books though.

Jayyysussss the Longford GP.

"Longford is oversaturated"

"Any immigrant coming to this country should know english and they have to have some education"

I find his lack of "wokeness" disturbing. :D

Was this show a bit of a pushback from "official ireland" because the numbers of asylum seekers coming in are getting larger and they dont know where to put them. 26% increase last year.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/number-of-new-asylum-seekers-up-26-911311.html

If we only deported 160 people last year it must be near impossible to get deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Anyone else uncomfortable about the skin colour reference?

"white Irish" - what a stupid label.

I'm Irish and I'm not defined by my skin colour, though it happens to be white, any more than I am defined by what cereal I eat for breakfast.

This seems like a daft attempt to ape other parts of the English speaking world, places that were saturated with racism and skin colour obsession.

All the same, I'm glad the whole thing is finally being discussed openly on the national broadcaster. I echo Wibbs' warning about the next crash and how we would cope welfare-wise.

Our politicians need to start explaining their plans to us, and soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Just watched it there (player detects AdBlock Plus but not uBlock thankfully) and as said above, fair amount of nonsense on it, but at least they (RTE) are at least showing that they are now willing to air views which don't see the level of influx as all positive for Ireland and that's something.

Half expected them to have someone like that Grand Tourino chap on or Justin Barrett, so they could link those who feel the level of immigration has been too much with the extreme right wing, something RTE has done in the past.

Not that I feel they shouldn't be given airtime, but just that they shouldn't be only ones given airtime to represent the opposition on the issue as it just suggests that those who would like to see the numbers coming in slowing are a small number on the extremes, when that's not the case at all, the view is much more mainstream than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Is it causing issues?
    Most definitely it is.

One thing I don't understand, if someone from the EU comes here and can't support themselves after 3 months they can be sent back to their home country. Why can't we do this with non-EU people? If someone is non-EU, they should 100% not be receiving state housing if they cannot afford to be here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

the only important question is;

are we going to repeat the mistakes made in other western EU countries in relation to immigration? are we going to allow parallel societies to develop? ghettoisation? lack of integration?

Yes. Yes we are.
    We don't have a political party with the stones to grasp that nettle.

One thing I don't understand, if someone from the EU comes here and can't support themselves after 3 months they can be sent back to their home country. Why can't we do this with non-EU people? If someone is non-EU, they should 100% not be receiving state housing if they cannot afford to be here.

I doubt that power has ever been used by the Irish gov. Pre-Brexit the UK started doing just that, and they upset a lot of European partners, mostly the likes of Poland / Romania / Hungary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭baldbear

Jayyysussss the Longford GP.

"Longford is oversaturated"

"Any immigrant coming to this country should know english and they have to have some education"

I find his lack of "wokeness" disturbing. :D

Was this show a bit of a pushback from "official ireland" because the numbers of asylum seekers coming in are getting larger and they dont know where to put them. 26% increase last year.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/number-of-new-asylum-seekers-up-26-911311.html

If we only deported 160 people last year it must be near impossible to get deported.

Longford is a dumping ground. There was/is a direct provision centre there, The Richmond court, owned by a local politician a few years back. He was making good money off the taxpayer. It was depressing seeing these guys tramping the streets with nothing to do all day.

I would like to see the figures on rejected applications from direct provision centres? 2 or more they should be ejected ASAP & not allowed to remain in the country for years appealing the decision.

And if you look at homelessness (and I use that word loosely), the Dublin Region Homeless Executive says 21% of the new families presenting as homeless last year were non-EU citizens.

FG/FF/SF/SD can't, won't and in SF and SD case, wouldn't kick out failed asylum seekers - what chance would we have of those parties proposing that Non-EU nationals who aren't self-sufficient here return home?

I doubt that power has ever been used by the Irish gov. Pre-Brexit the UK started doing just that, and they upset a lot of European partners, mostly the likes of Poland / Romania / Hungary.

I think Germany use it quite a lot and have for a long time. The thing is that if it was used here, we'd have SF and all the alphabet soup parties going tonto. Everything has to be a drama in Ireland. We seem very immature as a nation.

baldbear wrote: »
    I would like to see the figures on rejected applications from direct provision centres? 2 or more they should be ejected ASAP & not allowed to remain in the country for years appealing the decision.

Not sure if this answers your question but the last 'rejection' figure I have seen in relation to Asylum applications was ~92 or 94%.

This would be going back as far as Michael McDowells time.

EDIT: Our rejection rate seems to be sitting around 70% for 2018 - here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Humongous

Bobblehats wrote: »

“Irish people are in the minority. And we would see that as a positive”

When people feel the freedom to go on national television and casually trot out self depracating crap like that like that you just know we’ve lost the run of ourselves. Fist trumps mouth forget politics; it’s all bollox we should have taken action a long time ago.

2018, Number of migrants coming from the EU: 31,000
    From outside the EU: 30,900

Asylum seekers arrived in Ireland: 3673
    Number of deportations: 163

joke country....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I think Germany use it quite a lot and have for a long time. The thing is that if it was used here, we'd have SF and all the alphabet soup parties going tonto. Everything has to be a drama in Ireland. We seem very immature as a nation.

Screw them. They are not in government. Things like this always make me recall that a certain former chancellor of Germany was made so when his party only had 1/3 of the vote. Must Ireland of 2019 suffer under the tyranny of the minority?

Humongous wrote: »

joke country....

There are 3,673 Asylum seeker in Ireland The population of Ireland is 4.8 million and you think its a massive issue?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Humongous

There are 3,673 Asylum seeker in Ireland The population of Ireland is 4.8 million and you think its a massive issue?

it is when 92% of them are not genuine asylum seekers, they are con artists

• Advertisement

Its a big enough issue actually. How many millions are we spending on direct provision again?
    How much do we spend processing applications both bogus and non?
    Well in 2002 we spent €340,000,000.
    the Minister drew attention to the increased burden on the Exchequer of the cost of processing such unfounded applications and providing support services to claimants which was in the region of €340 million in 2002.

Source

That is not my point and it well may be true however its a tiny presentage of our population yet its being present as a massive issue and the language of those who believed its a massive is always same the politicians are clowns and the contry is a joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I doubt anybody has a clue how many people are in the country illegally, its bound to be far higher than reported.

I shared with quite a few foreigners and none ever filled in the census and they were here legally. :pac:

The total number of mobile phone numbers in use would offer an indication of the true population here. I know a lot of people have an additional work/extra-marital affair number etc but that segment would be filtered by usage patterns, business packages offered by the telecom companies, and vat returns. I read a few years ago that data prepared by UK supermarkets and utility companies indicated that there was about 6 million more people living there than the official figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

joke country....

This country's been f@cked since the boom kid.

Diceicle wrote: »
    Its a big enough issue actually. How many millions are we spending on direct provision again?
    How much do we spend processing applications both bogus and non?
    Well in 2002 we spent €340,000,000.

Source

And in 2002 we only had 956 asylum applications. So we must be paying multiples of that by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

It was funny when David McCullough asked yerwan ranting about Trump if she protested the visit of Xi Jinping when he came.

"Eh er uhm, I wasn't aware he was here"

Despite it being all over the fcuking media at the time. Christ they even named a cow after him down the country ffs! :D

That was glorious, she didnt know what to say. Utter welp.

Family reunification schemes. If an individual gets permission to reside here they are often able to bring over their parents, spouses, children and sometimes siblings. An Irish NGO were recently lobbying the DOJ to allow grandparents as part of family reunification. This is, to my mind, crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Patty Hearst

Family reunification schemes. If an individual gets permission to reside here they are often able to bring over their parents, spouses, children and sometimes siblings. An Irish NGO were recently lobbying the DOJ to allow grandparents as part of family reunification. This is, to my mind, crazy.

The average number of family members applied for per person is 20.

One person recently applied for 70 family members.

The average number of family members applied for per person is 20.

One person recently applied for 70 family members.

Ah here... this has got to be a piss take.... How would they fund this? where would they house them?

Any proof?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and how about the undocumented irish in america??? we want special status for them??

typical irish hypocrisy

Advertisement