Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey case: Our civil liberties threatened

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭BetterLisbon

prinz wrote: »

How is mutual recognition going to help him if he is shipped?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It's irrelevant. Why should it help him?

Get to the nub of the matter: if there are reasonable grounds for believing that he might have committed a crime, then it is also reasonable that he be tried. He has not been tried in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Why does he need help? You can't keep banging on about common law blah blah. We have recognised other legal systems as acceptable. You strike out again I'm afraid. Claiming your rights are infringed because you won't have the protection of our legal system is redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

It's irrelevant. Why should it help him?

Get to the nub of the matter: if there are reasonable grounds for believing that he might have committed a crime, then it is also reasonable that he be tried. He has not been tried in Ireland.

Yes, but, you see, Irish grounds for trial are good, French grounds for trial are bad, because the Irish system is good, the French system is bad. The Irish system is good because it's Irish*, and the French system is bad because it's not Irish**.

As far as I can make out the reasoning***, anyway. Not in any sense xenophobic****, though.

amused,
    Scofflaw

*|oh, alright, British, but that's not important
    **|alright, British again, but it's still not important
    ***|the term is used very loosely
    ****|as defined by BetterLisbon's personal dictionary - xenophobia is unjustified fear of foreigners, whereas this is entirely justified distrust of foreigners and their funny so-called legal systems*****
    *****|reference intentional

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Yes, but, you see, Irish grounds for trial are good, French grounds for trial are bad, because the Irish system is good, the French system is bad. The Irish system is good because it's Irish*, and the French system is bad because it's not Irish**.

I'm curious now...

BetterLisbon likes the American system (or, at least, parts thereof).

The Americans, if memory serves, can apply for extradition from Ireland.

So...if this case was a situation where it was the Americans rather then the French...would that make it more acceptable / less outrageous?

• Advertisement

As far as I can make out the reasoning***, anyway. Not in any sense xenophobic****, though.

amused,
    Scofflaw

*|oh, alright, British, but that's not important
    **|alright, British again, but it's still not important
    ***|the term is used very loosely
    ****|as defined by BetterLisbon's personal dictionary - xenophobia is unjustified fear of foreigners, whereas this is entirely justified distrust of foreigners and their funny so-called legal systems*****
    *****|reference intentional

Well we can see who has lost the argument by who has to resort to ridicule and cheap personalised attacks rather than address the points.

bonkey wrote: »
    I'm curious now...

BetterLisbon likes the American system (or, at least, parts thereof).

The Americans, if memory serves, can apply for extradition from Ireland.

So...if this case was a situation where it was the Americans rather then the French...would that make it more acceptable / less outrageous?

Er, no i like aspects of the american system such as the right to appeal on the grounds that the jury convicted against the weight of the evidence. The 5th and 6th amendments too are very admirable.

Well we can see who has lost the argument by who has to resort to ridicule and cheap personalised attacks rather than address the points.

:pac: You lost it a long time ago.

It is not for participants in an argument to decide the winner. As you claim to believe in the application of legal principles, I remind you of another: nemo iudex in causa sua.

It is not for participants in an argument to decide the winner. As you claim to believe in the application of legal principles, I remind you of another: nemo iudex in causa sua.

Resorting to argumentum ad hominem is essentially the admission of defeat.

• Advertisement

Resorting to argumentum ad hominem is essentially the admission of defeat.

That post wasn't an argument against your points. It was light relief after the two points you raised had been comprehensively dealt with. The thread had run it's course, unless you want to raise a new objection?

This whole discussion has been largely pointless. BetterLisbon bases a case on an interpretation of law that is questionable (that consideration of a case by the DPP is effectively a judicial procedure) and rejects any challenge to that dodgy claim.

Ir's time to walk away from this exercise in time-wasting.

This whole discussion has been largely pointless. BetterLisbon bases a case on an interpretation of law that is questionable (that consideration of a case by the DPP is effectively a judicial procedure) and rejects any challenge to that dodgy claim.

Ir's time to walk away from this exercise in time-wasting.

I conceded sometime back that legally double jeopardy is not breached but the principle (i.e not moving the goalposts to get a result) has been.
    Still waiting for someone to declare they would happily face serious charges without the protections of common law.

Still waiting for someone to declare they would happily face serious charges without the protections of common law.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65753586&postcount=57

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

I conceded sometime back that legally double jeopardy is not breached but the principle (i.e not moving the goalposts to get a result) has been.

There is no such principle. It does not exist. How hard is that to understand?

Count me as one (although I would prefer not to face serious charges under any legal system!)

Given that:
    a) The Civil law countries seem to operate legal systems quite safely, and,

b) These legal systems are - like our the common law systems - subject to the common rulings of the ECHR,

There is little reason to believe that the verdict in a court case is likely to be substantially different from legal system to legal system - I have yet to see evidence that proves you are more likely to be convicted in one system than the other. Or indeed more likely to be acquitted.

Lastly, do I really need to point out the serious miscarriages of justice that have taken place on occasion under the common law system?

View wrote: »
    There is no such principle. It does not exist. How hard is that to understand?

Count me as one (although I would prefer not to face serious charges under any legal system!)

Given that:
    a) The Civil law countries seem to operate legal systems quite safely, and,

b) These legal systems are - like our the common law systems - subject to the common rulings of the ECHR,

There is little reason to believe that the verdict in a court case is likely to be substantially different from legal system to legal system - I have yet to see evidence that proves you are more likely to be convicted in one system than the other. Or indeed more likely to be acquitted.

Lastly, do I really need to point out the serious miscarriages of justice that have taken place on occasion under the common law system?

But the fact remains defendants have less protection under the civil code than under common law. If i were falsely accused of a crime i know what legal system i would prefer to be tried under.
    I do concede that there have been bad miscarridges of justice under common law. The birmingham 6 and guildford 4 immediatly spring to mind. That is why i like the american idea of an appeal on the grounds that the jury convicted against the weight of the evidence.

But the fact remains defendants have less protection under the civil code than under common law.

Could you provide examples?

Could you provide examples?

This wikipedia summarises common law quite well. These protections would be absent if you were tried in France.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_law

This bit is quite succinct.
    "Adversarial system vs. inquisitorial system
    Common law courts tend to use an adversarial system, in which two sides present their cases to a neutral judge. In contrast, in civil law systems, inquisitorial system proceedings, where an examining magistrate serves two roles by developing the evidence and arguments for one and the other side during the investigation phase.
    The examining magistrate then presents the dossier detailing his or her findings to the president of the bench that will adjudicate on the case where it has been decided that a trial shall be conducted. Therefore the president of the bench's view of the case is not neutral and may be biaised while conducting the trial after the reading of the dossier. Unlike the common law proceedings, the president of the bench in the inquisitorial system is not merely an umpire and is entitled to directly interview the witnesses or express comments during the trial, as long as he or she does not express his or her view on the guilt of the accused.
    The proceeding in the inquisitorial system is essentially by writing. Most of the witnesses would have given evidence in the investigation phase and such evidence will be contained in the dossier under the form of police reports. In the same way, the accused would have already put his or her case at the investigation phase but he or she will be free to change his evidence at trial. Whether the accused pleads guilty or not, a trial will be conducted. Unlike the adversarial system, the conviction and sentence to served (if any) will be released by the trial jury together with the president of the trial bench, following their common deliberation.
    There are many exceptions in both directions. For example, most proceedings before U.S. federal and state agencies are inquisitorial in nature, at least the initial stages (e.g., a patent examiner, a social security hearing officer, etc.) even though the law to be applied is developed through common law processes."

This wikipedia summarises common law quite well. These protections would be absent if you were tried in France.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_law

Six of one, half dozen of another. They are different systems. Is thre any reason to believe injustice is more frequent in one as opposed to the other?

Six of one, half dozen of another. They are different systems. Is thre any reason to believe injustice is more frequent in one as opposed to the other?

Then we will have to agree to disagree prinz. Well i am absolutely sure which system i would like to be tried under.

• Advertisement

Then we will have to agree to disagree prinz. Well i am absolutely sure which system i would like to be tried under.

Yes, but that's just a statement of preference, like saying that you prefer cheese to chocolate. Trying to erect it into some sort of principle argues a deep deficiency in your grasp of logic.

regards,
    Scofflaw

Yes, but that's just a statement of preference, like saying that you prefer cheese to chocolate...

I like both cheese and chocolate, and have a little of each after dinner. It's a calorific double jeopardy.

[No, I'm not derailing the discussion. That's long over and done with. We might as well move on to more interesting things.]

I like both cheese and chocolate, and have a little of each after dinner. It's a calorific double jeopardy.

Dinner at yours sounds very civil. I hope that's German chocolate and French cheese.. the stuff from over here is just so common.

Yes, but that's just a statement of preference, like saying that you prefer cheese to chocolate. Trying to erect it into some sort of principle argues a deep deficiency in your grasp of logic.

regards,
    Scofflaw

Well i would welcome anyone to show how they would feel equally or better protected without common law. I would consider that an interesting read to say the least.

Well i would welcome anyone to show how they would feel equally or better protected without common law. I would consider that an interesting read to say the least.

You would probably need to contact a eurosceptic from a civil law country, who could explain to you how the EAW exposes people from civilised legal systems to the appalling dangers of the common law system.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

You would probably need to contact a eurosceptic from a civil law country, who could explain to you how the EAW exposes people from civilised legal systems to the appalling dangers of the common law system.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

How about you go one better scoff and show us the colour of your money. Can you explain why you would be at least as comfortable if not more so facing a false charge without common law.

How about you go one better scoff and show us the colour of your money. Can you explain why you would be at least as comfortable if not more so facing a false charge without common law.

You ask somebody who posts under the moniker Scofflaw (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/scofflaw) to comment on this?

Why is this discussion in this forum? It's not particularly a EU issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Personally I see no advantage to common law.

The main distinction you've quoted is the difference between the adversarial and the inquisitorial.

Lets just look at that for a second.

The details that you quote make it clear that these are not features that define or are defined by common vs. civil law, but rather that one tends to find one more common in one, and the other more common in the other....but that there are numerous exceptions.

Thus, a preference for adversarial over inquisitorial is not, per se, a preference for common over civil law. Not only that, but there is no clear basis to say that one is superior to the other. Admittedly, the article you quote points out that in an inquisitorial system, the president of the bench may not be unbiased....but fails to note that people, by their nature are not unbiased. It also notes that the president of the bench can help progress the case...which can be either an advantage or a disadvantage.

Ultimately, in both adversarial and inquisition-based systems, my prime concern would be to have good, competent people involved. If there are, then the system is (mostly) of secondary importance. If there aren't..again, the system is mostly of secondary importance.

I live in a civil-law country. I have no qualms about the legal system here, nor about its fairness.

bonkey wrote: »
    Personally I see no advantage to common law.

The main distinction you've quoted is the difference between the adversarial and the inquisitorial.

Lets just look at that for a second.

The details that you quote make it clear that these are not features that define or are defined by common vs. civil law, but rather that one tends to find one more common in one, and the other more common in the other....but that there are numerous exceptions.

Thus, a preference for adversarial over inquisitorial is not, per se, a preference for common over civil law. Not only that, but there is no clear basis to say that one is superior to the other. Admittedly, the article you quote points out that in an inquisitorial system, the president of the bench may not be unbiased....but fails to note that people, by their nature are not unbiased. It also notes that the president of the bench can help progress the case...which can be either an advantage or a disadvantage.

Ultimately, in both adversarial and inquisition-based systems, my prime concern would be to have good, competent people involved. If there are, then the system is (mostly) of secondary importance. If there aren't..again, the system is mostly of secondary importance.

I live in a civil-law country. I have no qualms about the legal system here, nor about its fairness.

Fair play bonk you are willing to show the colour of your money and say you are happy with the civil law system. You make valid points about having "good" people at the helm but under common law the trial judge is at least on paper 100% neutral under civil law he/she cannot be and in France a jury of peers may not decide the facts of the case.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_trial

• Advertisement

Fair play bonk you are willing to show the colour of your money and say you are happy with the civil law system.

A number of other posters have done like wise, including myself. Funnily when asked to show the colour of your own money you seem shy to do so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement