Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving other cars, insurance question

Options
  • 07-08-2020 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I contacted my insurance provider this morning and asked about driving another car that has a valid nct and road tax but no owner insurance and their reply was

The Driving Other Cars benefit is a standard cover on your policy.

This benefit covers only the policy holder for Third Party insurance, provided:

The other car is owned by someone else.

It must be insured.

It has valid NCT and Tax.

Why must it be insured by the owner if my insurance covers me to drive it anyway? Is it simply to stop people owning more than one car and driving them under a single policy or is it just my insurance company that requires this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I assume it's to prove the car is "active" and not just sitting there waiting for various people to drive it on their own policies.
    Driving other cars is intended to be temporary, say I let you drive my car for a trip or a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Contacting your insurance company is pointless, as you'll get through to a script monkey in their call center.
    Review the terms of your policy document and detailed schedule. It will answer your questions as both the inclusiion of "driving other cars" as well as any prescribed exclusions/limitations of cover will be listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ELM327 wrote: »
    Contacting your insurance company is pointless, as you'll get through to a script monkey in their call center.
    Review the terms of your policy document and detailed schedule. It will answer your questions as both the inclusiion of "driving other cars" as well as any prescribed exclusions/limitations of cover will be listed.

+1 OP, above all else, the advice above rules. Do NOT rely on anything they tell you over the phone. Read your policy document.

A general comment in reply to your query ...
    Cucullan wrote: »
    I contacted my insurance provider this morning and asked about driving another car that has a valid nct and road tax but no owner insurance ....

At the moment, both Aviva and Liberty have the condition that in order to be covered to drive a borrowed car under your own policy (the 'driving other cars' clause), there must be an active policy in place for that car - whether it covers you to drive it nor not.

So if your policy is with either of those companies, you will not be covered to drive that car. If you are not insured with Aviva or Liberty, please name the company.

Advertisement