Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

There used be a great show on RTE with the hot one from Home and Away called Sophie.
    It was called Adventures on Kytheria.

The Paper Chase, god I used to love that program

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCkMDvikGNM

I'm with you there ;)

John Houseman was so watchable as Prof. Kingsfield, in which he won an Academy award for the 1973 film before it was turned into a TV series.

And while we're on that topic, here's Silver Spoons, children comedy again shown on RTE in the early 80s, but also starred John Houseman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

salmocab wrote: »
    I was in college in 1999 and one of the lads got the class hooked on that, presumably it was shown again purely because of the year it was.

Space 1999 -

I remember when the prog originally aired in 1975 and it was mind blowing stuff. The idea of having a base on the moon suddenly seemed possible, maybe even by 1999.

The original concept for the prog was that it would be the second series of Gerry Anderson's UFO, but the american market backers didn't like UFO and asked for a re-draft that then became Space 1999. They allowed Anderson to produce the first series and retain it's particular british flavour of stories and production, but for the second series the americans exerted their investment influence to revamp it with new set's, new characters and more bug eyed monsters. The biggest interference is that they dropped the music of Barry Gray who had provided the soundtrack for all of Anderson's iconic series up until that time. Gerry Anderson always reckoned the changes made by the americans resulted in the series coming to a premature end.

When the year 1999 came to pass, some of us older saddo's took Sept 13th off work, just in case.... if the moon was going to blast out of orbit, we were going to watch it from a pub :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭bluezulu49

You guys are all depressingly young! I remember Muffin the Mule, The Silver Sword and The Lone Ranger with Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels.
    All from the 1950's.

For some reason I also remember Captain Pugwash though he was much later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'm not sure if it was ever available in Ireland but does anyone remember Sara and Hoppity from 1962 very similar type of program as Torchy the Battery Boy. I remembered it again last week when they were showing the Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet puppets on Antiques Roadshow and mentioned Torchy.

Another I old one I remember is The Champions from 1969.

• Advertisement

gipi wrote: »
    My other half remembers Torchy the battery boy....now this is going way back! Nobody else has ever remembered it when he mentions it.
    bluezulu49 wrote: »
    You guys are all depressingly young! I remember Muffin the Mule, The Silver Sword and The Lone Ranger with Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels.
    All from the 1950's.

For some reason I also remember Captain Pugwash though he was much later.

If your going back to the 50's do you remember Casey Jones Edit> which now I come to mention it also brings back memories of the Lone Ranger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭bluezulu49

my3cents wrote: »
    If your going back to the 50's do you remember Casey Jones Edit> which now I come to mention it also brings back memories of the Lone Ranger.

Looking at Casey Jones ( whom I do remember) for some reason reminds me of Corky the Circus Boy.

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    Looking at Casey Jones ( whom I do remember) for some reason reminds me of Corky the Circus Boy.

Well if this is like a TV show tag then from Corky the Circus Boy you've got to follow up with the Monkeys. The link being Micky Dolenz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Another old SciFi 'classic'

Star Maidens - A british and german co-production from 1975 featuring a planet run by women. Very Space 1999 looking at the time.

This one was way ahead of it's time - an ITV series from 1970 called 'Timeslip' . It was a childrens prog, but it had some very dark and sinister tones.... that were even more frightening in black and white.

Who remembers "life goes on"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Might be of interest to anyone looking up old shows which were broadcast on BBC:

The BBC Genome site has searchable listings for all programmes scheduled on BBC Radio and Television from 1923-2009
    You can search by programme/ actor name etc or see the full schedules for every day

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/

I would love to see something similar for RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Bit of a weird one here. Can't remember the name of it, could be Engineering Studies or something. It was a BBC open university type thing shown back in the mid 80s on RTE1 on a Sunday morning sometime between 9.30 and 11.00 about 40 mins long. The theme tune was Popcorn AFAIK. All about mechanical engineering. Showed different machinery used in engineering shops , lathes milling machines rollers press brakes etc.
    It was very difficult to see an episode from start to finish as i would have to go to mass around that time but often would catch the last 5 or 10 mins after coming home. I was only in primary school at the time but that programme was fascinating to see.

Dizzy heights hotel
    Return of the antelope
    The haunted school
    Dr snuggles
    Dramarama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,156 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I remember being sick at home from school and actually watching some of the bbc schools programmes as it was the only semi interesting thing on...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Bit of a weird one here. Can't remember the name of it, could be Engineering Studies or something. It was a BBC open university type thing shown back in the mid 80s on RTE1 on a Sunday morning sometime between 9.30 and 11.00 about 40 mins long. The theme tune was Popcorn AFAIK. All about mechanical engineering. Showed different machinery used in engineering shops , lathes milling machines rollers press brakes etc.
    It was very difficult to see an episode from start to finish as i would have to go to mass around that time but often would catch the last 5 or 10 mins after coming home. I was only in primary school at the time but that programme was fascinating to see.

Was it The Great Egg Race?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Rte used to also show Rockschool on Sunday mornings. That was another BBC open university type programme.

Here's two more shown on RTE television in the 80's, both from Australia

Beyond 2000- science program for kids

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_Tomorrow_(TV_series)

Any fans of Chopper Squad here? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Any love for the Bearcats around here.
    I don't remember much about it now except I liked it. Think I recall they kept dynamite in a box on the running board of the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

^^^^

The car was the star

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I loved The Great Egg Race. Professor Heinz Wolff only died about a year ago. He was the very definition of a mad scientist!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Found it thanks to Skids and the BBC Genome site. It was called Technical Studies and it didn't have Popcorn as the intro but it was an electronic type tune. Spent last hour watching old episodes on You tube. Gone very dated but still nice to see if you're into that weird type of thing

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Any love for the Bearcats around here.
    I don't remember much about it now except I liked it. Think I recall they kept dynamite in a box on the running board of the car?

I remember that well. RTE used to show it saturday mornings in the late 70s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

A few cartoons very few people seem to remember

Skid X wrote: »
    Might be of interest to anyone looking up old shows which were broadcast on BBC:

The BBC Genome site has searchable listings for all programmes scheduled on BBC Radio and Television from 1923-2009
    You can search by programme/ actor name etc or see the full schedules for every day

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/

I would love to see something similar for RTE.

Indeed, so would I- wouldn't it make things sooooo much easier if you could check a website to see ALL of the programmes broadcast by RTE through the years- it would really really help this thread a lot....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programmes_broadcast_by_Telef%C3%ADs_Éireann

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but I loved Bravestar growing up

Speed of the puma!
    Strength of the bear!
    Eyes of the hawk!
    Ears of the wolf!

And his robo-horse Thirty Thirty

No one else my age seems to remember it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,867 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but I loved Bravestar growing up

Speed of the puma!
    Strength of the bear!
    Eyes of the hawk!
    Ears of the wolf!

And his robo-horse Thirty Thirty

No one else my age seems to remember it

Loved that theme tune. Used to listen to it on my walkman :)

I actually saw a few episodes a couple of months back. It holds up surprisingly well even to an aul wan like me.

BTW its Bravestarr ;)

Zaph wrote: »
    I loved The Great Egg Race. Professor Heinz Wolff only died about a year ago. He was the very definition of a mad scientist!

You probably watched 'How" also?

Since you know the Great Egg Race, here's a starter for 10 for you- can you remind me of the name of the kids/teens science TV show that was done like a lecture and the set was like a lecture theatre - nearly sure it was BBC. There was a famous scientist guy who presented it- he had a moustache if Im not mistaken- had a name that phonetically reminds me of the name malcolm muggeridge- but it wasn't Malcolm.
    The name and show will come to me eventually but it sounds like you might be able to help.
    Cheers.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

A few cartoons very few people seem to remember

Animals of Farthing Wood
    David the Gnome
    Noahs Island
    Around the world

You must be a similar age to me!
    I used to get up at 6am to watch those cartoons. I'd set my little woodpecker alarm clock, would get up, drag my duvet down to the couch and eat some cereal. Parents probably thought I was a nutcase of a child :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,867 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

...speaking of classic intros...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Tenko

Butterfly Island

Tenko was brilliant.
    It's available on Amazon now but the quality of dvds is poor, otherwise I'd consider buying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Dogtanian and the Three Muskethounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

branie2 wrote: »
    Dogtanian and the Three Muskethounds

Only watched a clip on YouTube yesterday of 80's cartoon intros with that in it.
    Serious nostalgia overload

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

You probably watched 'How" also?

Since you know the Great Egg Race, here's a starter for 10 for you- can you remind me of the name of the kids/teens science TV show that was done like a lecture and the set was like a lecture theatre - nearly sure it was BBC. There was a famous scientist guy who presented it- he had a moustache if Im not mistaken- had a name that phonetically reminds me of the name malcolm muggeridge- but it wasn't Malcolm.
    The name and show will come to me eventually but it sounds like you might be able to help.
    Cheers.:)

Was it at Christmas? Any chance it was one of the Royal Institute lectures? Lots of very famous lecturers on it one the past 60 years!
    http://www.rigb.org/christmas-lectures

Watch them back to 1968 here
    http://www.rigb.org/christmas-lectures/watch

Speedsie wrote: »
    Was it at Christmas? Any chance it was one of the Royal Institute lectures? Lots of very famous lecturers on it one the past 60 years!
    http://www.rigb.org/christmas-lectures

Watch them back to 1968 here
    http://www.rigb.org/christmas-lectures/watch

Yeah I remember the lecture series and yes, it's very similar to this format but nearly sure it was a programme as opposed to an annual lecture- If I can think of the name of that presenter as I described, I'd probably get it straightway.

The Houndcats and the Barkleys. I used to watch these cartoons a lot on video.

• Advertisement

Found it. Not BBC, it was UTV/ITV

MAGNUS PYKE was the name i was looking for. (well it had an "M" in it :P )

Think this is the show - Don't Ask Me. - unless there was a later one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45XtTEYqzHY&list=PLCQ7hJspkf9D0jDeKN-uIsBhuxTRuQ2cm&index=3

John Player Tops talent contest

Tenko was brilliant.
    It's available on Amazon now but the quality of dvds is poor, otherwise I'd consider buying it.

Tenko was on the Drama channel recently (last 6 months?) its certainly on their show guide https://drama.uktv.co.uk/shows/tenko/episodes/ so may be on again soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Anyone remember "The Girl From Tomorrow"?

Alana, a girl from the year 3000 when the world is an enlightened peaceful utopia, arrives back into the year 1990 in a time machine and meets these australian kids. Then they keep having run ins with these mad lads from the year 2500 when the world is a chaotic dystopian mess.
    A lot of zipping back and forth through time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzkh0d9ro54

Another Australian one we used have was a science and technology show called Beyond 2000.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

The Tommorow People.

Sort of creepy 1970s series about kids with weird powers.

There was also one called Sky about a creepy kid with weird powers but he may have been an alien..it was that long ago I can hardly remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

'Spellbinder' from the mid-1990s.

An Australian boy travels to a parallel world full of castles and magical powers.

He gets through via electrical surges in the outback.

Eventually the villains from the parallel world gain access to Australia.

Joint Australian-Polish production.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    'Spellbinder' from the mid-1990s.

An Australian boy travels to a parallel world full of castles and magical powers.

He gets through via electrical surges in the outback.

Eventually the villains from the parallel world gain access to Australia.

Joint Australian-Polish production.

Everything you have said about it makes me feel glad that I missed it :D

Seems to have got some good reviews though https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112174/ still only one season so I rest my case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Also remember Rround the Twist, another auzzie show.

We seemed to having loads of Australian childrens and teenagers shows. What was the deal with that? Had RTE some kind of deal with the Auzzie producers or what?

branie2 wrote: »
    John Player Tops talent contest

I'm still trying to forget that. It was still running up to about 2000-ish I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Misfits of Science.

Number 73.

Airwolf.

Record Breakers.

Tomorrow's World.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

Showing my age here.

The first TV program that I remember, in the late 60s, and in black and white.

Romper Room.:rolleyes:

I would cry if my name wasn't called out on through the magic mirror.:o

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Speedsie wrote: »
    With Zsa Zsa Gabor moving to live in the country? Sure do!

Her sister Eva. And Eddie Albert. And Arnold the pig!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Trumpton

Camberwick Green. Poor Windy Miller unconscious after drinking an entire flagon of cider again. When you look back on it now.... he was a terrible role model :)

Fingermouse

Mr. Benn

Button Moon

The Flumps

Pigeon Street

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭wiseoldelf

anyone remember Batfink?
    url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwir6oqj3u3fAhXNQhUIHQ9wAXYQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.retrotvmemories.com%2Fproducts%2Fbatfink-complete-100-episodes-cartoon-dvd-set-very-rare-1966-67&psig=AOvVaw2ydCLjEggesxNElVgTSEG2&ust=1547571241405212

wiseoldelf wrote: »
    anyone remember Batfink?
    url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwir6oqj3u3fAhXNQhUIHQ9wAXYQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.retrotvmemories.com%2Fproducts%2Fbatfink-complete-100-episodes-cartoon-dvd-set-very-rare-1966-67&psig=AOvVaw2ydCLjEggesxNElVgTSEG2&ust=1547571241405212

Searching for that, I did remember Batfink (your image didn't work?) I came across

Augie Doggie

Augie_Doggie.jpg?v=1546957503

I'd have never remembered the name over 50 years on but I can now remember seeing it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement