Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Providing documents to engineer

Options
  • 21-06-2018 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi all,

Can I provide the documents to my engineer (e.g. floor plans, fire cert, etc.) for him to develop the certificates of compliance with building regulations, planning permission etc. -- or does the engineer have to go and source the documents themselves?

I ask as I'm being billed by my engineer for procuring these documents and he seems to be saying that he's professionally obliged to source them rather than receive them from me. And the bill is considerable; which is quite frustrating as I provided precisely the same documents by email already.

Thanks,
    Con

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi all,

Can I provide the documents to my engineer (e.g. floor plans, fire cert, etc.) for him to develop the certificates of compliance with building regulations, planning permission etc. -- or does the engineer have to go and source the documents themselves?

I ask as I'm being billed by my engineer for procuring these documents and he seems to be saying that he's professionally obliged to source them rather than receive them from me. And the bill is considerable; which is quite frustrating as I provided precisely the same documents by email already.

Thanks,
    Con

The engineer has to satisfy himself that the documents are true and official.
    If you provide them, he still needs to go to the various offices to ensure that the copy you gave him are the most up to date and true copies.

He cannot provide an opinion on compliance if he is not 100% satisfied where the documents came from or if they are not verified.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Richards1983

Thanks as always kceire.

The documents were provided to me by my solicitor via the vendor's solicitor. It seems odd to me that my engineer then had to go and chase the same documents - at considerable cost to me - and thereby end up with precisely the same documents.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks as always kceire.

The documents were provided to me by my solicitor via the vendor's solicitor. It seems odd to me that my engineer then had to go and chase the same documents - at considerable cost to me - and thereby end up with precisely the same documents.

Ok, so there’s a fairly reliable chain there. I suppose he is being overly cautious in this instance but surely he could put a foot note to confirm that the info is based on the documents provided to him and attach them as appendices.

Thanks kceire.

To be honest, the issue for me is that I'm being billed over 1,000 euro for pursuing these documents (which are the same as the ones I provided).

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Thanks kceire.

To be honest, the issue for me is that I'm being billed over 1,000 euro for pursuing these documents (which are the same as the ones I provided).

HOW MUCH?????????????????????????????

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

That is REALLY expensive

so in summary, it's pretty common to provide the engineer with copies of floor plans, fire cert etc, (provided to me by my solicitor and to them by the vendor's solicitor) and then for the engineer to go off and get same from county council/architects etc.?

Advertisement