Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance

Options
  • 02-10-2017 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi , I bought my 1st home in 2006 , it needed renovating, finally got the money to renovate in 2014 but my insurer "AIB" kept contacting me to say the insurance couldn't still be "under construction " long story short ceased home insurance with them until I got the house renovated but I can't now get cover due to age of building and mainly because of break in cover

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

TheDeeler wrote: »
    Hi , I bought my 1st home in 2006 , it needed renovating, finally got the money to renovate in 2014 but my insurer "AIB" kept contacting me to say the insurance couldn't still be "under construction " long story short ceased home insurance with them until I got the house renovated but I can't now get cover due to age of building and mainly because of break in cover
    Have you tried contacting either Axa, Allianz or Zurich? I got insurance on a house over 100 years old this year and these were the only companies, that I spoke to, who were willing to quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

My hone is over a hundred years old and no problem getting insured through first Ireland.
    How old is your home?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Skatedude wrote: »
    My hone is over a hundred years old and no problem getting insured through first Ireland.
    How old is your home?
    I didn't try them, will keep them in mind for next time - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 D3don

TheDeeler wrote: »

I am also having a problem getting a quote because of a lapse in cover, I had moved office and never received renewal

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gmgm.cool

What is the best home insurance for new homes (in Dublin).

• Advertisement

Just came across this thread and people above are saying it's difficult to get a home insurance quote when you haven't had home insurance for a few years. This is news to me; I thought an insurance company would be delighted with the business.

What is the justification for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Just came across this thread and people above are saying it's difficult to get a home insurance quote when you haven't had home insurance for a few years. This is news to me; I thought an insurance company would be delighted with the business.

What is the justification for this?

If you own a house and have not had it insured for an extended period of time it sets off alarm bells. It could potentially mean that there is after been an incident which could end up costing the insurer tens of thousands e.g. a flood, fire etc.

If it's a case someone is just after purchasing a house then there is no issue with no previous insurance. If there was no house then there was nothing to insure.

Advertisement