Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MAX BROOKS ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GUIDE

• 06-03-2010 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

so i just finished reading this, have to say it was quite a good book!!

but he did have some flaws, one that springs to mind atm was that he wrote that they cant climb up a rope, yet when at see they can climb up an anchor and haul themselves into your boat!!!! quite an achievement!!

so what did you think of it??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Good spot.

Although pulling yourself onto a small row boat or climbing up a submerged rope isn't as difficult as climbing a rope out of the water. I'd say it was a worst case scenario "just in case" type advice than anything.

I doubt he meant a Zombie could climb up the rope (out of water) of a large ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

'A tome you start reading for fun and then at page 50 you go out and buy a machete just to be on the safe side' - New York Post

Just starting it and already annoying the hubby with "real zombies would never do that" comments.

I decided to read the real life accounts first, then go back to the beginning and take it from there.

Back later with more comments :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

LittleBook wrote: »
    'A tome you start reading for fun and then at page 50 you go out and buy a machete just to be on the safe side' - New York Post

Just starting it and already annoying the hubby with "real zombies would never do that" comments.

I decided to read the real life accounts first, then go back to the beginning and take it from there.

Back later with more comments :)

Besure and come back with you opinion :) if you like the real lifef accounts, you'll love Max Brooks, World War Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

havent got around to world war z yet but love the real life accounts!!!

my favourites were about the castle thing where they locked the zombies in and people came along 500 years later!!! quite good,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

.SONIC. wrote: »
    havent got around to world war z yet but love the real life accounts!!!

my favourites were about the castle thing where they locked the zombies in and people came along 500 years later!!! quite good,
    I don't want to spoil it for anyone,but the 4 zombies wide alley way incident has to be my favourite,slow and calculated is the best answer,not full auto on the badass machine guns.

I prefer WWZ to read as a book,I know that makes no sense,but the survival guide is a good reference,but as for actual reading[i.e on a bus where I do all of mine] it's a but too disjointed.

I think he meant more large container ships,with regards climbing the anchors,not the small dingy's that are illustrated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

you'll love Max Brooks, World War Z

Just treated myself to the audio book for a change :D Brooks' narration isn't supposed to be great but the (all star) cast who are "interviewed" is superb apparently.

I see there's been talk for a while of a film!

And in other Max Brooks news, an amazing coincidence last night when I sat down to watch a 20 year old episode of Roseanne only to see Brooks appear playing "Snarky Customer" :pac:

you'll love Max Brooks, World War Z

so where can i get this???

i looked in my local bookshops and easons in liffey valley, but no luck :(

i asked if they knew of it but they only have the zombie survival guide, and it drew blank looks when i asked for the zombie section!!! supposedly zombies are some sort of humour??? sick sick bookshop:eek:

i asked if they knew of it but they only have the zombie survival guide, and it drew blank looks when i asked for the zombie section!!! supposedly zombies are some sort of humour??? sick sick bookshop:eek:

Think i picked up my copy in Virgin or whatever it calls itself these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

officially I can't say anything about this on boards I think,but I've the survival guide and WWZ in.pdf format if anyone wants them[and has a site that'll host them for me],

i like having the ebook,i'm just odd like that.

Has anyone seen the WWZ graphic novel? it's the book[all of the anecdotes] translated into comic book format, a friend of mine has it and after a quick look through I can tell you it's amazing for both the comic book nerd and the zombie survivalist in all of us.Yonkers looks class in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

officially I can't say anything about this on boards I think,but I've the survival guide and WWZ in.pdf format if anyone wants them[and has a site that'll host them for me],

i like having the ebook,i'm just odd like that.

Has anyone seen the WWZ graphic novel? it's the book[all of the anecdotes] translated into comic book format, a friend of mine has it and after a quick look through I can tell you it's amazing for both the comic book nerd and the zombie survivalist in all of us.Yonkers looks class in it
    oooooh.... thats deadly!

• Advertisement

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    oooooh.... thats deadly!

hey Man,

welcome back :)

hey Man,

welcome back :)
    thanks brother :) its nice to be back. might as well log onto urben dead while Im here :D

this should be a reunion thread :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭anomalous

i got my copy in HMV for 8 euro a real bargain - just started reading it and am already loving it - is the survival guide worth it? i wasnt sure which to get but i think once i finish this ill get the survival guide:)

anomalous wrote: »
    i got my copy in HMV for 8 euro a real bargain - just started reading it and am already loving it - is the survival guide worth it? i wasnt sure which to get but i think once i finish this ill get the survival guide:)

HMV in liffey??

yeah i thought the survival guide was worth it, quite a good read

HMV in liffey??

yeah i thought the survival guide was worth it, quite a good read

no HMV in Galway - i was just in there today and they dont have them anymore though :(

no HMV in Galway - i was just in there today and they dont have them anymore though :(

You can order a copy from them. Great read, well worth the €8 I spent on mine. Even when you finish it you will go back to it. Mine is now it's bog time reading. "any time spent clearly thinking is not wasted time" :pac:

im just finished reading world war z and OMG it was so unbelievably good :D i was pleasantly surprised by how the book progressed but just felt that some stories needed to go on a little longer/be more elaborate but i think the teasing of not being told everything kept me on the edge of my seat and it was the first book in a long while that i just couldnt put down :)

i am a tiny bit obsessed with zombies at the mo though and i think i need a break for a while before i read the survival guide ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ive been waiting for the World War Z graphic novel for ages (have a vivid picture of Yonkers and wanna see if it's similar!)

Where can you get it?

Im gonna go round dublin into the comic book stores and see if its to any avail in there
    otherwise, the the internet!

• Advertisement

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    Im gonna go round dublin into the comic book stores and see if its to any avail in there
    otherwise, the the internet!

tell us if you find it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭hego19

waterstones in jervis have it
    and so does chapters on parnell street they also have to graphic novel version too

in easons its in the humour section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

I got mine in Sub City. It was before christmas but check it out if you don't have it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ive been waiting for the World War Z graphic novel for ages (have a vivid picture of Yonkers and wanna see if it's similar!)

Where can you get it?

looks like some nws drawings on it so dont click on it if your at work

random fan art of the battle of yonkers

http://cghub.com/images/view/14816/

Advertisement