Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is your eyesight?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

L: -9.5
    R: -10.5

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Don't know my prescription but I'm as blind as a bat...

Need my glasses for everything, if I squint I can almost read things but thats it. Was so bad last year in England my glasses broke and I walked into a pole... oh well haha.

I have a slight turn in my right eye and astigmatism in both. Needed an operation at 2 years old to correct the turn and it's slowly creeping back up on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

L: -9.5
    R: -10.5

:(

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

L: +5.75 Cyl -1.75 Axis 170
    R: +5.75 Cyl -1.75 Axis 180

And to make matters worse my left eye is lazy...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Something like -6.5 in the left and -4.75 in the right (with Astig).

Without my glasses I can move around without bumping into stuff, but all the details are gone. I wouldn't know who I was talking to or if I was pouring paint into my tea instead of milk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im -7.25 in both eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Can't remember exactly what my prescription is but it's around -4.75 or -5.00 in both eyes with Astig....I can make out things without them but just as a general blur e.g. if I were talking to someone without them I wouldn't have a clue who it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

R: +4.5 | 0.25 x 75
    L: +2.5 | 0.5 x 145

Right eye is lazy, get double vision without my glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

Pet wrote: »
    R: -4.75
    L: -5.00

What's this about high-index glass?

new to this forum! im an optical lab technician so briefly in layman terms:

1.59 is "normal index" so its not "thinned down" its bog standard plastic lenses which are fine for prescriptions from roughly +2.00 to -2.50 depending on the frame and distance between your pupils

1.6 is "mid-Index" its the next "step" up from 1.59 and makes roughly 2-3mm in thickness difference-again pending on script and frame

1.67 is the next step up and is "high index" it again reduces thickness

1.74 is the next lense and is "very high index" and reduces the thickness even more

Then there are options of glass polycarbonate etc.

With a "plus" prescription (the thickness is in the centre of the lense and gets thinner toward the outside) you could also get a smaller blank size , standard plastic blanks are 65mm but you could choose a smaller frame and get a 55mm blank with would reduce thickness but it depands on your pupil distnace, im not sure about specsavers or other opticians but i know we choose the smallest blank free of charge to give the patient the best possible lense at standard cost.
    With a minus script small blanks arent done as the thickness is on the outside on the lense and is thinnest in its centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BreeVdK

Left eye +2.25
    Right eye +2.75

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

-5.25 in both eyes, handy for the contact lenses. Everything's a lovely blur without my glasses or contacts although thankfully the rate of detioriation has stopped (for now).
    Even at -5.25 I still have to get lenses pared down a bit to prevent them being too thick.
    Still not as bad a mate of mine who is about -11 in both eyes and had to get his lenses manufactured in Switzerland to get them pared down enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

-4.25 in both eyes with a prism needed for the left eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Both eyes, i wear contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Left = -5.00
    Right = -5.75

I used to think my eyesight was really really bad but upon reading this thread I realise that they seem to be almost 'normal' among shortsighted people! I wear my glasses all the time, except for when I'm sleeping obviously. I have contacts but I rarely wear them because I've had glasses since I was 4 and feel unrecognisable without them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

ciaran76 wrote: »
    -3.75 in right eye
    -3.0 in the left eye
    Snap :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Stargal wrote: »
    Snap :eek:
    It's fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Me last Christmas -
    R: -2.5
    L: -2.25

Me this chistmas, thanks to laser:
    R: -0.5
    L: 0.0

I can read three lines beyond the 20.20 line (or 6.6 as they call it now!?)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

-4 & -4.25

Use my glasses all the time, am another person that swears by the high index lenses. Found a pair that I used to wear in school and OH MY GOD there is a huge difference in both weight and thickness! :)

Slightly off topic but also need the following to get me around:-

- prescription swim goggles (remember trying to memorise peoples swim suits...and making some very embarrasing mistakes)

- Prescription wrap around sunglasses (tried skiing with contacts and goggles and ended up ripping lenses in my eye. Ouch)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

-6.25 in each eye (sob...) :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

L: -1.0
    R: -0.75

Hopefully going in to get contacts this week and if my prescription hasn't changed, it's off to the laser man :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Currently at +3.75 in both for me.

Why are so many people here "-" numbers, is it actually more common or can those with "+" numbers just not find their way about the interweb as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

robinph wrote: »
    Currently at +3.75 in both for me.

Why are so many people here "-" numbers, is it actually more common or can those with "+" numbers just not find their way about the interweb as well?

When I'm ordering lenses for the opticians that I work in I notice that I need way more + lenses from observation. So by and large I'd say there are more plus.. but then again, they're mostly for reading purposes by and large.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 StinkerbelleSix

Left: -11
    Right: -8.5

Can't even see my hand stretched out in front of me without my contacts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Both eyes are -2.50

The bf is something like -5.75 and -5.00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

-4.00 Left
    -3.75 Right

Wear disposable contacts nearly everyday, I put on the specs if my eyes are feelng really tired in the morning. Started using dailies about 4 years ago and find them extremely comfortable, used to do the daily cleaning and sterilising routine now i just chuck em out everyday. Still considering Laser surgery :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Sorry if it's a bit OT but could someone explain or link me to something that explains this:

Vision must be not less than 6/18 in each eye.
    Corrected to not less than 6/6 in one eye and 6/9 in the other.

I assume corrected means glasses or contacts?

Also how good would 6/18 be (I know that's vague but would it be considered exceptional or just average etc for someone without glasses?)

What are the numbers based on?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

-1 left and -1.5 right.

Wanted to get laser surgery but the skin on my eye is too thin :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

When I'm ordering lenses for the opticians that I work in I notice that I need way more + lenses from observation. So by and large I'd say there are more plus.. but then again, they're mostly for reading purposes by and large.

Is the + what would tend to come on later in life with the general old age deterioration of your eyesight so meaning the higher numbers of those type that your ordering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

-4 in the left
    -3 in the right.

I thought I was bad but it's heartening to see that there are plenty of others far worse than me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

RichyX wrote: »
    -1 left and -1.5 right.

mine used to be around that range years ago, happy days, then went to -2 something, just back from optitions now, the detearation continues,

r -3
    l -3.25

oh well

Advertisement