Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway tornado/waterfront fake

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MissPuscifer

Red Nissan wrote: »
    You know something, you got all your answers last night, I asked a question that you were unable to answer. Before I saw the interview I posted a reply, the interview supports my statements.

You could not convince me last night and you called it my failing, well today it is your failing if you can't see what is in the file that you sent.

I could see manipulation but I had no way of knowing who did it, you? Either deliberately or accidentally in re-saving the file.

We now know there are several files in the wild. I only looked at the one you sent. I believed that you might have been the wife, sister, daughter or girl friend of the file poster and you knew it was a fake and you knew which insert was used ~ you failed to convince me that your Photoshop knowledge led to the discovery of the duplicity.

I have to go out about nine for an errand.

Firstly, I attach a file which I have drawn over so you can see the shape I saw that helped me identify the copy and paste.(Everyone else can see this, I'm intrigued as to why you cant.) My Photoshop knowledge led me to acknowledge that it is a very easy effect to create. By using layer modes and some softening of edges... (there is also a tell tale halo around the funnel that showed it came from an image with a brighter background, that was difficult for the restaurant owner to get rid of)

Secondly, I received no answers from you about where you are seeing the artifacting. Can you tell where the image bounds are for the "insert", as you call it? If you can see the artifacts you should be able to tell me that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MichaelOMeara

Hi guys, I spotted that it was Misspuscier that rattled me!! She is pretty accurate and has been all the time along (drink on me if your in Galway). Although it was really intended to be a joke of course I'm not going to complain about the marketing. I told the local paper about it at a pretty early stage as with any joke it would get a bit boring if drawn out ;)
    I don't normally use PS in this way as food photography is my thing (contributor to Getty Images & istockphoto.com) but the real thing that made this work was the Wednesday tornado weather report, a lot of people really wanted a twister!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

Hi guys, I spotted that it was Misspuscier that rattled me!! She is pretty accurate and has been all the time along (drink on me if your in Galway). Although it was really intended to be a joke of course I'm not going to complain about the marketing. I told the local paper about it at a pretty early stage as with any joke it would get a bit boring if drawn out ;)
    I don't normally use PS in this way as food photography is my thing (contributor to Getty Images & istockphoto.com) but the real thing that made this work was the Wednesday tornado weather report, a lot of people really wanted a twister!

Oh to live in a society where such an admission might elicit a hint of embarrassment..or dare I say it shame..

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MissPuscifer

Fair play to you. If I hadn't come across the original picture I wouldn't have noticed :) The initial prank doesn't bother me whatsoever, it was only the widespread acceptance that got to me, and the fact that rte used it without confirming it.
    Great to hear from you! And I'm not really ever in galway, so a virtual cheers will have to do for now :)
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Although it was really intended to be a joke of course I'm not going to complain about the marketing. I told the local paper about it at a pretty early stage as with any joke it would get a bit boring if drawn out ;)

Well, it's like this, you posted your picture, it was however credited to another photographer, a student, whose credibility was vouched for that allowed his image to be accepted into the weather community as genuine.

It was initially called a fake and the integrity of the photographer was the accepting point. It was much later that we found out here that it was in fact your own photo.

The evidence put forward was too weak and too many images could have been used that would have fitted as well, that I believed you put up a first time poster to announce to the world, but fair enough for coming forward yourself.

However, technically, it was not your image that went viral and before I knew it was your image, other people were adamant that it was faked, so there are two versions at least and in all these cases we have found that as one poster takes the image they may "enhance" it more so it can be quite legitimate looking or made to look quite faked for a legitimate image, depending on their agenda.

The first thing we do is cry is fake TBH.

Was it you who found Shergar a few years ago as well?

I used do fine art photography with a 5x4" as well as being an assistant to a food photographer, so you don't have to say anymore. Mum's the word. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement