Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is your eyesight?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Miss_Moneypenny

I have a "lazy" right eye am shortsighted in left eye (-3). I wear one contact lens because you can't correct the sight in my right eye using lenses. When I cover my left eye I can only see blurred images and distinguish colours, but can't read any of the letters on that thing at the optician's. Must actually find out the number for my right eye. My contact lenses are half price - everytime I see an ad for contacts I automatically divide it in 2:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Skally-wag

I'm -5 in both eyes, therefore I cannot cope without wearing my contacts!! Only wear glasses in the evening after i've taken out my lenses or when i'm not leaving the house.. hate wearing glasses to be honest!! Think i'll get laser in a few years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

wow, it's good to know there are other equally blind people out there!

I'm -10, and -10.5, can't remember which is left and which is right, I often end up ringin the opticians to check, dur!

Been wearing glasses for around 14 years, lenses almost 10 but only really for goin out, feel more comfortable with glasses on.

I would love to get laser surgery, but unfortunately am outside the range. it doesn't depend only on prescription, there are other factors eg corneal thickness. I was pretty upset when I found out I couldn't get it, but more recently found out I have an eye disease which means they will continue to get worse, and I may eventually lose sight completely, how scary is that! Suddenly glasses don't seem so bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

jameshayes wrote: »
    L -5
    R -5.5

2 years on, 5 pairs of glasses later and now i'm

Right Eye : Sph -6.50, Cyl -1.75, Axis 25
    Left Eye : Sph -6.50, Cyl -0.50, Axis 120

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nov_babe

-6 on both. easy to remember.

Use contacts fpr five or six months and then switch back to glasses for a while. Am considering laser but will have to wait for a while...fundage and all that.:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PodgeL5

-4.5 both eyes:o

only started wearing contact lenses, so far so good:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Left: -5.50
    Right: -4.75

Am going for a sight test on Saturday and will probably be told that my eyesight has worsened slightly. Have started to notice my sight is slightly less sharp wth my glasses on or contacts over the last couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jenniwenni

+6.00 left eye
    +8.00 right eye

Not too many people are pluses, I wonder why that is.

I also have severe astigmatism. Right eye is also lazy, so basically I am blind in one eye. I wore patches as a child, but I used to rip them off as soon as I was out of range of my mum -I'm paying for that now!

Its terrible for judging distances. Especially when pulling out of junctions. I think the oncoming car is much closer than it is. So many beep the hell out of me at a T Junctions for taking too long to pull out.

I always wear my contacts, I hate my glasses, it's like wearing a couple of magnifying glasses on the end of my nose. I get them made really thin and light, but they still magnify.

I went to optilase a few months ago and they wouldn't touch me :(.

KevR wrote: »
    Left: -5.50
    Right: -4.75

Am going for a sight test on Saturday and will probably be told that my eyesight has worsened slightly. Have started to notice my sight is slightly less sharp wth my glasses on or contacts over the last couple of months.

As I suspected, my eyesight has worsened.

I'm now
    Left: -6.00
    Right: -5.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

KevR wrote: »
    As I suspected, my eyesight has worsened.

I'm now
    Left: -6.00
    Right: -5.50

Me too :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 student2B

jenniwenni wrote: »
    +6.00 left eye
    +8.00 right eye

Not too many people are pluses, I wonder why that is.

HEY!! ME TOO!! +6 and +7! I can get around fine (squinting!) without glasses but my eyes are crossed so i wear glasses all the time to avoid strange looks! Its true that its more common to be short sighted than long sighted I suppose it makes more sense to be able to see things close to you but not far away right? rather than being able to see things far away but not close to you which i still dont understand how is possible!
    Its terrible for judging distances. Especially when pulling out of junctions. I think the oncoming car is much closer than it is. So many beep the hell out of me at a T Junctions for taking too long to pull out.

:eek: really? is this when wearing your glasses? never noticed that before!

I asked my optician about laser too and she said it wouldn't work! i think its because im a + ...they better develop new technology soon! its really annoying in the summer as i prefer wearing glasses and you cant just throw on a pair of sunglases when the sun comes out...i suppose i could get a pair of prescription shades..ugh im sure there pricey though hmm

When you're short sighted your cornea is bigger than normal and when you're long sighted your cornea is smaller than normal.

With laser eye surgery for short sighted people they 'burn off' a thin layer of your cornea to reduce it to the normal size (hence correcting your vision).

I'm guessing laser surgery is not possible for long sighted people because it's not possible for them to enlarge/add a thin extra layer to your cornea with a laser. They can only shrink it if it's too big.

That's my general understanding of it anyway. I'm no expert and i'm sure someone else could give a better technical explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jenniwenni

student2B wrote: »
    HEY!! ME TOO!! +6 and +7! I can get around fine (squinting!) without glasses but my eyes are crossed so i wear glasses all the time to avoid strange looks! Its true that its more common to be short sighted than long sighted I suppose it makes more sense to be able to see things close to you but not far away right? rather than being able to see things far away but not close to you which i still dont understand how is possible!

:eek: really? is this when wearing your glasses? never noticed that before!

I asked my optician about laser too and she said it wouldn't work! i think its because im a + ...they better develop new technology soon! its really annoying in the summer as i prefer wearing glasses and you cant just throw on a pair of sunglases when the sun comes out...i suppose i could get a pair of prescription shades..ugh im sure there pricey though hmm

God I could not walk around without my glasses at all, I wouldn't be able to see a thing.

I think it is the lazy eye that makes me bad at judging distances. That is also why they would not do the laser surgery on me.

For some reason, having the lazy eye makes me really good at target practice. My hubby and I went shooting on holiday and he could not get over that even though I was as blind as a bat, I was a deadly shot! Go figure.

If you get your glasses from specsavers, get your free second pair tinted. that's what I did, you only pay for the tint then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Limerick1981

I have a hard contact lense for my right eye, I have a condition in that eye called "keratoconus" whereby my cornea is basically shaped like a rugby ball which makes my vision in that eye blurred and distorted, the lense really helps my vision but naturally it is not perfect. The vision in my other eye is fine so I don’t have a lense for that.

On various occasions I have lost the lense whereby it may have popped out and I would not be able to locate it. When I lose the lense I obviously have to replace it and order a new one. Given that the lense is made to order for my right eye it is not a standard lense

My optician is specsavers and the usual cost of the lense on previous occasions was €115. I recently lost the lense and had to order a new one. I was told on the 17/8/09 it would be €115 euro and €5 postage, that was fair enough. I then received a phone call from specsavers on the 18/8/09 to say that the lense price had actually gone up to €200. I was shocked and annoyed, typical rip off Ireland. Don’t get me wrong your eye sight is very n.b and I understand that i am lucky to have my vision but an >50% mark up on the lense is ridiculous considering that manufacturing is probably moved abroad, we are in the height of a recession and have wage cuts etc and yet prices everywhere are rising. €200 for one lense is pricey.

Does anyone know if you can order lense online, made to order if I get the dimensions from the optician? I presume that way I could get the lense at a cheaper price or would specsavers have deals made with the manufacturer? The last time i had to get the lense it came from England and the dimensions were on the package i recived it in. Anyone know if you can buy lenses online or get them made to certain dimensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Not sure but just wondering if a lot of people are buying their lenses online and do you need to send a prescription to buy the lenses this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Johnnyjump wrote: »
    Not sure but just wondering if a lot of people are buying their lenses online and do you need to send a prescription to buy the lenses this way?

Nope; you don't. I went into my optician a while ago, he checked my eyes, I paid him, and he gave me the prescription. The online retailers do not ask for the prescription, but do ask what your prescription is. Fill in the answer and that's it.

PS: Daysoftlenses seem to be the cheapest, and I've just ordered with them for the first time. But see the other thread on cheapest contacts for more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 brndonnie

Just got my prescription from the optician
    R: +4.00/-2.00*40 V.A 6/6
    L: +7.75/-1.75*155 V.A 6/12-1

I am also red/green colour blind and more imporantly have a toxoplasmosis scar in my right eye that adjoins the optic never. The scar has left permanent floaters in my field of vision a cruel twist of faith that it happened in my "good" eye.

Im due to sit a standardised exam in the next few months that is administered over 4 hours via computer. Spending this much focused time looking at a computer screen is very difficult (headaches, concentration, eye strain etc) for me. Therefore I am seeking an accomodation of extra time and additional rest breaks with the providers.

Does anyone have any opinions on the likely success or thoughts on the above?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Me Me

Bout -8 in both eyes, partially blind top vision in left eye..

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

I'm -8.50 in both eyes, giant thick glasses. When they break I just get the same thick friends, cant handle the lenses thinned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

-5.00 both eyes, wearing glasses since I was 11, contacts since I was 15. Recently changed to dailies instead of monthlies and they have changed my life, because I don't need to cart around solution and cases everywhere! I resent how expensive it is for short-sighted people to buy glasses, I wish high index lenses were standard for prescriptions like mine!:( But it could be worse I suppose, at least glasses and contacts exist! Going to get lasered as soon as I gather the €€€'s! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I heard the lazer eye surgery is amazing.Would you consider it.My cousin has been saving for it and is going to get it done after Christmas.
    I have 20/20

The lense people and the glasses people will hate everyone lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

caseyann wrote: »
    I heard the lazer eye surgery is amazing.Would you consider it.My cousin has been saving for it and is going to get it done after Christmas.
    I have 20/20

The lense people and the glasses people will hate everyone lol :D

;)

Laser is not 100% successful for everyone check your facts before been so smug about laser (serious eye surgery in case you didn't know). We have had a few people coming to us after getting this brilliant laser needing glasses again cos it didn't work for them. It works out well for some but others can experience problems with glare and dry eye. Like any surgery it comes with risks. So no I'm not worried about all these laser clinics. In reality I think they are more worried about us glasses sellers then the other way around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

endplate wrote: »
    ;)

Laser is not 100% successful for everyone check your facts before been so smug about laser (serious eye surgery in case you didn't know). We have had a few people coming to us after getting this brilliant laser needing glasses again cos it didn't work for them. It works out well for some but others can experience problems with glare and dry eye. Like any surgery it comes with risks. So no I'm not worried about all these laser clinics. In reality I think they are more worried about us glasses sellers then the other way around

Who was been smug :confused:
    Who said it works for everyone :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 willy_wonka

-8.00 and -6.50, always go for the high index, cost me a fortune though usually twice the cost of the frames. can't stand the thickness of standard plastic lenses!!!

anyone know if you can claim for high index lenses on your med 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Do you mean on your medical card?

If so you are entitled to a higher allowence when you have a high prescription (not for high index lenses). The standard fee is about €42 towards new glasses. I don't have the exact figures here but if you are between +/- 6 to 8 sphere you get an extra allowence of about €12 per lens but if your beyond an 8 sphere you only get about and extra €8 per lens

Advertisement