Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New glasses, one eye good, the other slightly blurred ???

• 26-06-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭

Long story but I've had 2 eye tests within the last couple of months. They turned out to be what seems to me to be very different. Especially the Cyl and axis. And the glasses are for reading only btw.

Test 1. R. Sph +0.75, Cyl +0.75, Axis 10
    L. Sph +1.50, Cyl +0.25, Axis 180

Test 2. R. Sph +0.50, Cyl -0.75, Axis 83
    L. Sph +1.25, Cyl -0.75, Axis 100

I went with test 2 purely because it more closley resembled, (though a little stronger in the sphere value) a test I had around 3 years ago but never got around to getting the glasses at the time! Brought my prescription and my own glasses to an opticians to get the new lenses in my own frames. I have them a few days now and if I cover the right eye, the left eye sees text clearly. If I swap over and look through the right eye then the text is very slightly blurred and I think appears a little smaller than through the left eye. So reading with the glasses is feeling a little odd, ever so slightly like watching a 3D film without the special glasses!!

Now I don't really have much experience of glasses and how they should be but surely what I see through one lense should be the same as what I see through the other? Or will I get used to them? Have they been prescribed in such a way to re-train the muscles in my weaker left eye??

I've already checked with the optician where they made up my new glasses and they have been made to prescription, so no problem there.

So what should I do? Wear them and get used to them or go back to where I had the eye test and explain the problem?

Sorry for the longwinded convoluted post but any advice would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I've transposed the first prescription for you. Some opticians use a plus cyl and some use a minus cyl but a simple recalculation gives the following prescription

R +1.50, cyl -0.75 axis 100
    L +1.75, cyl -0.25 axis 90

They are very different the two prescriptions you should really go back and tell them you are still not seeing clearly. They will do a recheck for you. It looks like your right lens is either too strong or too weak. Good luck and let us know how you got on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks for the reply endplate, can't say I understand it but really appreciate it! :D

BTW, on test 1 I think the optician said something about the prescription being for distance but I would be using them for reading. But if I looked up from reading to see the person across the room then I would not get that slight distortion you would get with reading glasses. Does that make sense to you??!

I'm going to see the optician about the prescription tomorrow (test no. 2) and I'll let you know what happens.

I'll need to get the glasses redone anyway because the lenses that were put in seem to be quite thick and don't quite fit the frame, AND so heavy that after wearing them for a few minutes I have a red gouge on the left side of my nose where they rest! It really gets quite sore!

Many thanks again for your advice! :)

Good luck and let us know how you got on.

Well I went back to where I had the eye test (no. 2!) and they retested me and you were dead right endplate! The right lense was wrong!

My new prescription is...

R Sph +0.75, Cyl -0.75, Axis 83
    L. Sph +1.25, Cyl -0.75, Axis 100

They have also left out anotehr bit of the first prescription I forgot to mention. For Near Right and Left it was +0.75 and that is now blank on the new prescription.

And as it was their error they are replacing the lenses at no charge! :D

Though I am still confused about the first test I had giving such a different prescription to the second... oh well, doesn't matter so long as test no 3 is ok!!!

Great your sorted out. Good luck with the new glasses

endplate wrote: »
    Great your sorted out. Good luck with the new glasses

Well.......... picked them up today, brought them home, put them on and guess what!

They are actually worse, WORSE, than the other ones. Both eyes are now blurred. OMG, i can't believe it. :eek: I am spitting with rage. I've been without my glasses for nearly 4 weeks now, relying on my first ever reading glasses that I got around 10 years ago but they are better than nothing. They are certainly better than what I got today.

And advice on how to handle it when I go back in tomorrow? At this stage I want my money back - all of it. Can I ask for compensation for getting mucked around like this?? Don't really want anything other than a pair of reading glasses that I can see through! Flippin 'eck, how hard can it be?! :confused:

• Advertisement

Are you blurry in the distance i.e. driving, watching TV etc, if your wearing reading glasses with the correct prescription they should blur the distance but be clear for reading. If this is the case persevere but be aware that you have to remove them for distance work.

If they are blurry for both reading and distance there is possibly an issue.

Don't rush back to your optician yet sometimes people's eyes need time to adapt to new prescriptions. What I mean is your brain is used to a certain level of clarity but now your glasses have an updated prescription and need time to adapt. Keep trying the new glasses over the next week and if you are still uncomfortable you are more than entitled to go back.

They're just for reading endplate. And they are blurry for reading! Right eye worse than the left. I really don't think it's something I will get used to, I mean it is blurry. Any other time I got new specs there was never a problem.

I think I will go back today and ask for my money back and go elsewhere and get another test.

It's beginning to feel like it's me! Am I doing something wrong in the eye test???! :o I keep failing!!! :rolleyes:

Btw, the lenses are a bit thick and clunky, they idn't even sit or fit into the frome properly, I could easily pop them out if I tried!. Cheaply done I think. Could that be the problem?? You see in the beginning I went to Vision Express for the eye test and then another optician to have the lenses made up for my own frames. These came back blurry but were made to prescription so back to Vision express for a retest. New prescription and glasses sent off by Vision Express to where they had previously been. Have them now and they are the same clunky lenses despite my asking them in Vision Express if they would be like they were before and they said no. But they are. :( AND I paid Vision express an extra £41 to have them made thinner.

Sorry to go on an on but I'm just not at all happy with any of it. I want a full refund of everything i've spent since getting my first dodgy prescription from Vision Express and start again. I am entitled to that surely?

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. Keep us posted with how you get on

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. Keep us posted with how you get on

Well I went back the next day with the intention of seeing the manager but he wasn't there. A "team leader" dealt with me and offered to do another eye test and see what that showed... I said no thanks I would like a refund of everything I had paid Vision Express and also what I had paid the other optician to get the first set of lenses (made to VE's incorrect prescription)

She said they could refund what I paid them but the manager would have to check with head office about the other refund and he would ring me the following day. He did and refused to refund me what I paid the other optician. He suggested I go back there to ask for the refund! :eek: As if!!! They did what they were paid to do, it's all Vision Espress's fault I have no glasses!

So I got in touch with customer care on the website and my concerns have been "forwarded to senior management". So fingers crossed!

Will I tell you the outcome or have I bored everyone to tears?!! :D

(and am going to a regular optician next week to have yet another eye test! :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Heh, please do tell us the outcome. I love to see corporate types actually take responsibility once in a blue moon.

• Advertisement

Absolutly let us know

I'm guessing head office has been on to my local Vision express ad I've just had the retail manager from there, on the phone to me, different manager to the other day! Anyway, he was oh so helpful and humble but his solution is for me to go back in, they will check the glasses on me and see what the problem might be and make new lenses "as thin as you want"

I said I would have to think about it and get back to him! I have my eye test with a "normal" (!) optician tomorrow.

What should I do??!

Okaaaaaaaay! Just back with my brand new prescription! :D

and had a very thorough eye test, I didn't feel a bit rushed as I did in Vision Express. I never knew the Express bit related to the speed at which they deal with the customer!!! :eek:

And I think I know why my second pair of glasses from VE were worse than the first. The person who filled out the form on their computer system only filled in the Distance bit, she never put in the +0.75 (which was on the first prescription from them) in the Near bit!!!

Sooo, my new prescription is

Right
    Dist: Sph +0.75, Cyl -0.25, Axis 105
    Near: Add +100

Left
    Dist: Sph +1.25, Cyl -0.25, Axis 95
    Near: Add +100

And the second test from Vision express was

Right
    Dist: +0.75, Cyl -0.75, Axis 83

Left
    Dist: +1.25, Cyl -0.75, Axis 100

But I'm still very confused about all this. :confused:

Anyone care to try and enlighten me before I go in to see the manager in vision express again tomorrow?!! :D

Yeah missing that amount of add or near will leave you struggling to see small print clearly. The add is an addition to your normal prescription you simply add the add(+1.00) onto the sph value to give you your reading prescription. Your reading glasses prescription is now according to new RX (prescription) as follows

R: S:+1.75 C:-0.25 axis:105
    L: S:+2.25 C:-0.25 axis:95

Yeah missing that amount of add or near will leave you struggling to see small print clearly. The add is an addition to your normal prescription you simply add the add(+1.00) onto the sph value to give you your reading prescription. Your reading glasses prescription is now according to new RX (prescription) as follows

R: S:+1.75 C:-0.25 axis:105
    L: S:+2.25 C:-0.25 axis:95

Thanks endplate. I went back to VE with my new prescription and using that they are making up super thin lenses, UV filter, scratch resistant, transitions... the lot! I'm in a bit of a panic now though... that +2.25 for my left eye seems very very strong. Considering these will be replacing this (my old specs)...

R +0.25 -0.50 x 81
    L +0.75 -0.50 x 104

:confused:

I'll be morto if Vision Express present me with my fab thin lenses and they still not right.

Really appreciate any advice. :)

edit: BTW, does the cyl and axis have much of a bearing on the lenses because I seem to be getting different values on all my (many!) prescriptions.

That's great news hope these work out for you. Don't worry about the high RX (prescription) it's for reading. If you look up while wearing them everything will appear blurred. That is normal.

The reason possibly for the different cyl and axis values you are seeing is down to the Optician using their expertise in deciding what rx is giving you the best clarity. They don't always depend on the machines to give a rx they spent years learning their skills to depend on machines only. They listen to the responses from the patients to different rx's and decide afterwards what they think is best for the individual. If you notice with your different prescriptions each time that were not a million miles apart.

Again good luck with the new specs and tell us how you got on

Again good luck with the new specs and tell us how you got on

Thank you! Thank you!

Just got a call from VE and they have my specs ready for collection. Will let you know how they are. I'm full of trepidation in case they ae still not right! Keep telling myself that the prescription was from a mature optician and the priciest in the town so they should be ok! :D

So would different cyl and axis values change the sph values?? And/or vice versa?!

A million thanks for all your advice!!! :)

Picked up new specs. I can see perfectly through them. Everything appears huge! No blurring! Only problem is that they are still digging into my nose. I've had them on now fow for less than half an hour and all I can feel is weight on the bridge of my nose.

These are the frames http://www.wantglasses.co.uk/s/rayban/rx5088.htm

Before I got the new lenses I had no such problems with these frames.

And the lense is 1.6, that's thin isn't it? Why do they feel so heavy?? I can't wear these. It is just too uncomfortable. I can't believe it. Should I go back to Vision Express yet again???

......I can hear that ad ringing in my ears.... "Shudda gone to SpecSavers!!! :D

sudzs wrote: »

......I can hear that ad ringing in my ears.... "Shudda gone to (Censored by endplate) :D

Hah better still you should have visited here:D

You need to give yourself time with the glasses they will feel different for a short time. Every part of the glasses your wearing is pretty light

Hah better still you should have visited here:D

You need to give yourself time with the glasses they will feel different for a short time. Every part of the glasses your wearing is pretty light

LOL! I'll give them a try. I'm bending and reshaping them in the hopes of getting them back to the way they were before they were straightened out by Vision express. They never hurt my nose before so I am of course blaming them!! :D

Was going to go back to see if they could fit them (do a bit of expert bending!) but that thought is too depressing. They were only ever going to be my second spare pair anyway.
    you should have visited here

Seriously?? You would want me as a customer???!!!! :rolleyes:

;)

I will pass that site on to my sister in Co. Dublin who is looking for new specs at the mo!

And thank you, thank you again for all the help and advice! :)

• Advertisement

Glad you got it sorted. I had a pair of glasses from a similiar type place to Vision Express and the same, my left eye was so blurred that I had a blind spot, the eye was watering all the time, and I had to close it to concentrate on things like the numbers on the front of the bus approaching. This was my one and only experience with a high street optician, I now pay the extra and go to the optician that has been doing my prescription for 15 years, never got a dud pair of glasses from them.

Reason this thread caught my eye (yes, only my right eye) is because I broke my glasses last February, and because my glasses cost about 600 a pair, haven't been able to afford new ones, and I'm stuck with the old blurry eyed pair again.

Advertisement