Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbours sky sat

• 30-05-2020 4:17pm

So I live in the so called link detached houses where the houses are linked through garages, garages onto the next person's tv room.

Well anyway got home the other day and I notice the neighbour has put a sky satellite up, it is put on their wall but over my garage roof.

What annoyed me is
    1. They went onto my roof, ie Property without even asking my permission
    2. They put it so low the lnb is nearly touching the roof tile which makes access to that area a lot more difficult and a new hazard to maneouver around, potentially cutting yourself off it
    3. Its actually on my property, albeit I dont use it very often as I am not on that roof, sky wont install on the roof of their house over safety but had no problem taking the easy route and working off my house.

What would you even do in this situation, I am fairly annoyed about not even being asked

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

So I live in the so called link detached houses where the houses are linked through garages, garages onto the next person's tv room.

Well anyway got home the other day and I notice the neighbour has put a sky satellite up, it is put on their wall but over my garage roof.

What annoyed me is
    2. They put it so low the lnb is nearly touching the roof tile which makes access to that area a lot more difficult and a new hazard to maneouver around, potentially cutting yourself off it
    3. Its actually on my property, albeit I dont use it very often as I am not on that roof, sky wont install on the roof of their house over safety but had no problem taking the easy route and working off my house.

What would you even do in this situation, I am fairly annoyed about not even being asked

Have you a sledge hammer? Failing that sharpen your pitch fork!

Have you a sledge hammer? Failing that sharpen your pitch fork!

Always one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Unless it was blocking a window, I would leave well enough alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭sdanseo

OP, the effect on you in actual real terms is negligible or zero other than a hurt ego. Don't get me wrong I'd be a little annoyed too.

Would suggest to ask the neighbour politely that if they're doing any work in future you need a heads up and let them know as casually as you can that it was frustrating not to be asked in advance.

You'll know from the outcome of that conversation whether they're the type that doesn't give a feck about their relationship with their neighbour, or if they genuinely figured it would make no odds and perhaps wrongly didn't feel the need to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Neighbours should be there for one another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That's when good neighbors become good friends.

Just a friendly wave each morning, helps to make a better day

🙈🙉🙊

sdanseo wrote: »
    OP, the effect on you in actual real terms is negligible or zero other than a hurt ego. Don't get me wrong I'd be a little annoyed too.

Would suggest to ask the neighbour politely that if they're doing any work in future you need a heads up and let them know as casually as you can that it was frustrating not to be asked in advance.

You'll know from the outcome of that conversation whether they're the type that doesn't give a feck about their relationship with their neighbour, or if they genuinely figured it would make no odds and perhaps wrongly didn't feel the need to ask.

Yeah I don't even mind too much them using it, but they should have said it. Plus the fact they blocked the access to the back of roof by putting it so low, laziness out of sky as well.

Also hypothetically speaking what if the sky guy put his foot through the roof and injured himself, he'd probably claim off my insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

you could try a wife swap and go from there.

• Advertisement

Just a friendly wave each morning, helps to make a better day

It does but I'd have more respect and ask. I was changing a side window and i asked my neighbour on the opposite side last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

What annoyed me is

Burn their house down , probably burn a few more neighbours houses too , just to take the eye of yourself.

Ultrflat wrote: »
    you could try a wife swap and go from there.

Nah wouldn't go there

It does but I'd have more respect and ask. I was changing a side window and i asked my neighbour on the opposite side last year

With a little understanding you can find the perfect blend

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Nah wouldn't go there

You could get a paper bag ask her to wear it and have Carmen Electras face on it :cool:

Burn their house down , probably burn a few more neighbours houses too , just to take the eye of yourself.

Take the eye?

I assume you mean edge,

Ultrflat wrote: »
    You could get a paper bag ask her to wear it and have Carmen Electras face on it :cool:

You've put thought into this idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,336 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Charlie19 wrote: »
    That's when good neighbors become good friends.

Closer each day

Take the eye?

I assume you mean edge,

Off yourself , wouldn't want to be an arson suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Always one

The person who doesn't ask is also the one who'll sue for compensation if they fell through the garage roof

• Advertisement

99nsr125 wrote: »
    The person who doesn't ask is also the one who'll sue for compensation if they fell through the garage roof

Yeah exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Ask neighbour over for bbq, proceed to intentionally walk/jump/dive into satellite dish. They’ll take the hint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

If you want to be petty, give the dish a thump each time you walk past. Over time, it will be out of alignment and won't be able to pick up the satellite. If it's overhanging your property and getting in your way, ask them to move it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

OP, ignore this advice. It might sound sensible on the face of it, but you should never burn your neighbour's house down if it's attached to your own. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Risingshadoo

Just remove it and install it in some other location. All's fair in love and war right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Hah all the houses around me are kinda awkward-looking and sprawled all over the place. I don't own a TV myself and doubt I'll ever get one actually, but there is a Dish plonked on me Roof alright and if it is possible - I've a funny feeling it's serving a few Houses around me! One Neighbour one side who happens to be dark-skinned, jumps the Wall nowandagain and he hits a clatther wallop off it. I was a bit stunned at first but am used to it now. I wouldn't cause friction with a Neighbour over a Sky Dish though.

Advertisement