Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do's and don'ts for first time buyers

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

Does anyone know if when buying your first home the bank wants evidence that you have the money for solicitors fees, stamp duty etc when it comes time to draw down or get a full offer.

Would it be enough to provide a letter from Parents saying that they are covering all of those costs and they will pay them directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Dylan94 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if when buying your first home the bank wants evidence that you have the money for solicitors fees, stamp duty etc when it comes time to draw down or get a full offer.

Would it be enough to provide a letter from Parents saying that they are covering all of those costs and they will pay them directly?

Your parents will probably have to sign an affidavit relinquishing all claims to the house if they are contributing money to the purchase.

I had to supply proof of funds showering we can cover the deposit plus the other fees but I cannot say if all banks want this

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

Dylan94 wrote: »

They will expect to see evidence of funds for solicitors fees (presumed to be €2,000 in my case) and stamp duty alongside your deposit before moving to AIP.

I'm not sure if a letter promising to pay these for you would be enough. What would definitely work is them transferring the money to you and then providing a letter stating this is a gift and they don't expect repayment, as this option was offered to me during my mortgage application process.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

FYI, gifts of up to 3k euro from a parent are exempt from inheritance tax. Technically parents on both sides could gift 3k each, and it's all ok.

Loans from parents could complicate things. The bank might see them as having some ownership in the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

As far as I know, even with a payback clause the banks want an affidavit that the person who gave the money had no claim in the house. It’s a simple contract that the lender has to sign. And it’s difficult to hide really, a large amount of money being lodged in a bank needs to be accounted for, and you need to show where all large amounts come from. It took me dad 5 mins in all to sign the affidavit for the bank.

I’m noticing now I have more cash when I’m not paying for subscriptions so I can afford to splurge on new online shops once in a blue moon!

We didn’t do any holidays or big presents, people were very understanding though about it. Bearing in mind we went drawdown January, we did small Christmas presents, and of course his birthday is a week after Christmas so we forewent birthdays last year as we were buying a house! Most if not all our Christmas presents we received were house related. It’s funny, it’s like with having kids, birthdays and christmases become help for that!

We were planning a holiday for this September but obviously that didn’t happen. We were going to use a holiday site that allows you to pay bits off at will.

One good tip I can give though, we moved in February this year, we are still putting in what we were saving + rent into our joint account that mortgage and bills come out of, it means we are always in the plus as what we were saving and paying in rent was a lot more than our mortgage. So we always have a surplus, we are going to use that surplus for house insurance and such.

Myself and himself have been talking about going away a lot but I think realistically we know, as much as we would love to take a week away somewhere (not now obviously) the house is our biggest dream. We've made plans a couple of times to go away or go on a weekend break and trust me, I would love nothing more. Maybe next year if we've reached what we needed and think a week away to destress would work, then I won't say no haha. We recently talked about how much we were putting to the rent and we were shocked at how much we would be paying less on a mortage. It's crazy how much easier it is to rent and yet you're paying more but we had no choice but to rent. Mind you, as horrible as it is to rent, and from reading the replies on this read, I've realised that we've made it work by renting and saving so we've been lucky and renting in Dublin as well which isn't possible for a lot of people.

I'll take up that advice as well for continue the way of putting money away for the rent and savings. That actually sounds like it would be easier and I would still be keeping track of my money but I guess it wouldn't be as strict. I think it'll be more knowing that, it's my own home I'm putting this money towards and not paying someone else's mortage.

Our families aren't really huge on celebrating Christmas. Might pop in for an hour say hello and back off home so I guess they wouldn't be too hard up on not receiving anything from us. Not that we are stingy and wouldn't arrive with presents, especially for the kids but it seems like they are older now and aunts and uncles etc have gotten to the point where they are just happy to see faces than receiving anything but I'll definitely make a note nearer the time to let them know just so it doesn't look like I've dropped into their house for free food haha.

I've even cancelled my gym membership. It wasn't like I was going much but it was nice to have an option haha. I wasn't paying too much for a membership but I've notice that since it's not coming out of my account, I've been able to confidently add a little extra to savings if there are times that I'm able too. Mind you, nothing like a walk outdoors and workouts at home that pretty much does the same job as a gym.

• Advertisement

FYI, gifts of up to 3k euro from a parent are exempt from inheritance tax. Technically parents on both sides could gift 3k each, and it's all ok.

Loans from parents could complicate things. The bank might see them as having some ownership in the property.

That's what I was worried about. I've it in my head that if we recieve money from family as a gift, would that mean, if complications did arise for mortage payments (I can promise it won't after the stress of saving and finally get a mortage the last thing we will do is ruin it for ourselves) would they get in trouble or would they have ownership. My parents have said they will help if needed but I think there's a lot of pride in myself and partner that we would rather do it ourselves and not ask for help but I won't say no to a new kettle or toaster haha.

guyfawkes5 wrote: »
    They will expect to see evidence of funds for solicitors fees (presumed to be €2,000 in my case) and stamp duty alongside your deposit before moving to AIP.

I'm not sure if a letter promising to pay these for you would be enough. What would definitely work is them transferring the money to you and then providing a letter stating this is a gift and they don't expect repayment, as this option was offered to me during my mortgage application process.

So that means they would rather you showed you saved enough for deposit and fees yourself rather than asking for a lend off a parent?

I think I'm understanding the gift recieved as from what I read it's more of a help towards rather than someone paying for you. Shows how much I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Wesser wrote: »
    Buy a house that meets your needs.

Simples.

Forget about moving up to a fancier place or will it hold its value or gain money etc.

Just buy a house that meets your needs and if the value falls it doesn't matter.

But your needs and wants from a property will change over time...and until you own your own place you never know...

I had numerous things I didn't hold much of an opinion on when I bought my first house, but now I'm looking to move already. Won't be moving anytime soon...

Things like garden size, garden oritation, detached Vs end of terrace, poor use of space(same indepmic here in Ireland)...

It’s actually 3k per person so the op could receive 6k from his parents and their partner another 6k from the ops parents so 12k overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭anplaya27

Dont trust anyone.

• Advertisement

anplaya27 wrote: »
    Dont trust anyone lol

Straight to the point. I love it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 39 stresshead101

This has been a very interesting read.

Firstly, good luck with your house buying process! It's definitely a journey full of emotions but so worth it in the end! Myself and my partner have our keys a month now and our process was filled with many bumps, but it really is a great feeling!

One thing that may make the process a little less stressful is to make a set arrangement to save the deposit and extras.

Myself and himself set up a joint current account (which is now used to pay our mortgage) and decided on a fixed amount that we would save each month. When we opened our account, we made two single deposits of what we had saved already for our 'house fund' and then saved a set amount at the same time every month. We were able to save extra in our personal accounts whenever we had it and every now and again we would make a single deposit to the house. This meant that we had our own savings that we could use for guilt-free special occasions.

If your aim is save your deposit and other fees over 18 months, definitely sit down and calculate how much you *need* to save per month and then work off that. Everything extra is a bonus then, and it just takes so much stress away!!

In relation to the actual house hunting, one thing I read that always stuck with me was..
    "Buy what you can't change, and change what you can"
    Basically, sit down with himself and write a list of things all that you want out of a house. Then separate them into things that you can't change (eg. SW facing garden, rear entry, off street parking, etc.), and things that you can (eg. triple-glazed windows, modern kitchen, carpet stairs, etc).
    When you go looking, know that everything on your list won't be met but look for things that you really want and wont be able to fix later. You can change a kitchen or carpet stairs, but you cant make a North facing garden sunny.

You won't enjoy living in a house if only your basic needs are met. Something to think about.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    But your needs and wants from a property will change over time...and until you own your own place you never know...

I had numerous things I didn't hold much of an opinion on when I bought my first house, but now I'm looking to move already. Won't be moving anytime soon...

Things like garden size, garden oritation, detached Vs end of terrace, poor use of space(same indepmic here in Ireland)...

We've had a couple of ideas of what we would love from a house. Our expectations are a little bit high but I feel that we can meet them a little but if we do our research properly. We've realised that if we further our search outside of Dublin, it's likely we could find something we both love. Him with the big back garden and me with the spacious rooms. We know that we don't want to be too far outside Dublin and close enough that we can still travel to see friends and family and they can come to us. Also for our jobs as well. We don't plan on leaving our jobs as we are happy enough.

Understandably opinions change over the years and people do decide that they are bored of their houses so that's why we plan on buying a house we both know we can have a future in. Raise a family and have a life where we life rather than buying for the sake of it. My parents bought their house over 20 years ago and they have loved it and have no plans on moving so I know its possible to find a home and know its a forever home. Plus I don't want the hassel all over again. Saving and getting our first mortage will be stressful enough as it is.

This has been a very interesting read.

Firstly, good luck with your house buying process! It's definitely a journey full of emotions but so worth it in the end! Myself and my partner have our keys a month now and our process was filled with many bumps, but it really is a great feeling!

One thing that may make the process a little less stressful is to make a set arrangement to save the deposit and extras.

Myself and himself set up a joint current account (which is now used to pay our mortgage) and decided on a fixed amount that we would save each month. When we opened our account, we made two single deposits of what we had saved already for our 'house fund' and then saved a set amount at the same time every month. We were able to save extra in our personal accounts whenever we had it and every now and again we would make a single deposit to the house. This meant that we had our own savings that we could use for guilt-free special occasions.

If your aim is save your deposit and other fees over 18 months, definitely sit down and calculate how much you *need* to save per month and then work off that. Everything extra is a bonus then, and it just takes so much stress away!!

In relation to the actual house hunting, one thing I read that always stuck with me was..
    "Buy what you can't change, and change what you can"
    Basically, sit down with himself and write a list of things all that you want out of a house. Then separate them into things that you can't change (eg. SW facing garden, rear entry, off street parking, etc.), and things that you can (eg. triple-glazed windows, modern kitchen, carpet stairs, etc).
    When you go looking, know that everything on your list won't be met but look for things that you really want and wont be able to fix later. You can change a kitchen or carpet stairs, but you cant make a North facing garden sunny.

You won't enjoy living in a house if only your basic needs are met. Something to think about.

Thank you so much for this post and a huge congratulations on your new home :-)

Luckily we've already decided on how much we can save each month and I think it helps greatly that we are saving separately as it doesn't seem as pressurising to find out if the other has saved more or less. We pretty much have decided that from our own accounts we save a set amount and every now and again we inform each how much we have. Funnily enough it has encouraged us more as we can say we have X more amount rather than saying I personally only have X amount. Once we've hit what we needed then of course when the time comes to get a mortage it'll be set jointly but for now I think the encouragement from both our savings is exciting is more.

This time last year when we made the decision on saving we were so stuck on what we were doing or how to save or what to save but we continued to put by whatever we could. There wasn't an exact amount saved each week but since the start of this year we sort of knuckled down and said right this is what the situation is but after that we ended up lost again because we weren't sure how much we actually had to save. Thanks to this thread though, it's been made so much easier we actually feel we could reach our target by next year if we keep sticking to what we are doing and of course the advice and tips from this thread has me on such a positive high that I know if it's possible for a couple with no children, 1 child or 10 children and still able to rent then it's absolutely possible for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

We got AIP a year ago, went sale agreed in June, drew down in February about an hour before the letter of offer extension expired and got keys start of March.

If you're buying and a title issue is discovered, think heavily about the delay this could cause. We knew it would delay the sale by 6 weeks at least but wouldn't have thought our September closure date would move 6 months in total. Worth it now but we lived at home. This scenario would be even more of a nightmare with rent involved.

AIB and their app were a dream to deal with the entire time, I really don't think it's necessary to have a broker especially for a straightforward application. After each viewing we immediately made a list of pros and cons before we could allow an asking price or nice estate agent doing the viewing to ignore flaws. If there's more than one viewing on a property you want to make an offer on, get a knowledgeable family member to go to one. Or ring and ask if you can get another viewing. It's a huge purchase involving a lot of money so there's no harm in pushing to be certain before putting in an offer. Another pair of eyes can spot things that will need a lot of money to sort.

Not being the highest bidder often doesn't mean disaster. Have a max price in mind and stick to it. We had someone go over us at the last minute but still got it as we were FTB.

We got AIP a year ago, went sale agreed in June, drew down in February about an hour before the letter of offer extension expired and got keys start of March.

If you're buying and a title issue is discovered, think heavily about the delay this could cause. We knew it would delay the sale by 6 weeks at least but wouldn't have thought our September closure date would move 6 months in total. Worth it now but we lived at home. This scenario would be even more of a nightmare with rent involved.

AIB and their app were a dream to deal with the entire time, I really don't think it's necessary to have a broker especially for a straightforward application. After each viewing we immediately made a list of pros and cons before we could allow an asking price or nice estate agent doing the viewing to ignore flaws. If there's more than one viewing on a property you want to make an offer on, get a knowledgeable family member to go to one. Or ring and ask if you can get another viewing. It's a huge purchase involving a lot of money so there's no harm in pushing to be certain before putting in an offer. Another pair of eyes can spot things that will need a lot of money to sort.

Not being the highest bidder often doesn't mean disaster. Have a max price in mind and stick to it. We had someone go over us at the last minute but still got it as we were FTB.

Congratulations on your home :-)

Do you think being FTB can be a positive or negative thing? By that I mean, would we be more walkovers to other buyers or would sellers try and take advantage of that and make us try and bid higher? Or is it a case of, the house is X amount, we love it, we would like to buy it and it's up to the estate agent to sort everything else out?

As you can tell, I've absolutely no idea how it works. I've read various threads about people falling in love with a house then someone pulling the wool from under their feet and they've had to back away because someone else has pretty much said they will happily pay more than what the price actually was. Is this often the case that a house is advertised as X amount but realistically the seller wants more? Is it really that competitive?

As usual, on an evening and with nothing else to be doing. I find myself online looking at potential houses and I showed my partner a house and we both fell in love with it. One more bedroom that we wanted which was perfect. I mean, huge back garden that my partner has always said he wanted because he loves gardening and building plus it looks like the back garden takes all of the sun so I could happily sit outside. Personal drive way instead of parking on the street. The house itself wasnt huge but not tiny either so we could still menuover around. The advertisement said it needed no renovations as its been done over the years and I know I shouldn't go by what the pictures say but it genuinely looks like you could move in straight away and not have to worry about major issues and still add our own bits and pieces over the years. The price the seller was asking for was so shockenly low and the advertisment didn't mention renovations and it said it had all modern features so it looked like the house was looked after over the years. But that usually brings me to a question of, is it low because the seller expects more? In saying that, location wise, my partner reckons its so cheaper because its further outside of Dublin and for that reason alone, I would happily pay the asking price.

I have my partners head done in the last few days because of my constant researching. I just want to know that I'm doing this all correctly. We've sat down and done our maths. We know exactly what it is we want. We have decided that 18 months, maybe a month or two after to get exactly what he need for deposit and fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It's seen as a positive thing because FTB aren't in a chain. If you are selling a property before buying another this can have problems and delays. If the buyer wants a quick sale they will often choose cash buyer or FTB over those in a chain.

Your offer will depend on how bidding is going or if it has begun. If it hasn't begun, bid under the asking. Not so low that they won't treat it seriously. 10k under would have been the standard but I'm not sure how the market has affected this now. Often a property has 'the asking price' and 'the real price/take it off the market price' they are waiting for a bidder to reach but this won't be revealed until you're bidding already. Again, I would imagine it will be less competitive now and sellers would be more eager to take an offer than to hang around hoping for a magical offer that could well be unobtainable.

Good luck with your search.

It's seen as a positive thing because FTB aren't in a chain. If you are selling a property before buying another this can have problems and delays. If the buyer wants a quick sale they will often choose cash buyer or FTB over those in a chain.

Your offer will depend on how bidding is going or if it has begun. If it hasn't begun, bid under the asking. Not so low that they won't treat it seriously. 10k under would have been the standard but I'm not sure how the market has affected this now. Often a property has 'the asking price' and 'the real price/take it off the market price' they are waiting for a bidder to reach but this won't be revealed until you're bidding already. Again, I would imagine it will be less competitive now and sellers would be more eager to take an offer than to hang around hoping for a magical offer that could well be unobtainable.

Good luck with your search.

Perfect responce. Thank you so much :-)

Febreeze wrote: »
    Myself and himself have been talking about going away a lot but I think realistically we know, as much as we would love to take a week away somewhere (not now obviously) the house is our biggest dream. We've made plans a couple of times to go away or go on a weekend break and trust me, I would love nothing more. Maybe next year if we've reached what we needed and think a week away to destress would work, then I won't say no haha. We recently talked about how much we were putting to the rent and we were shocked at how much we would be paying less on a mortage. It's crazy how much easier it is to rent and yet you're paying more but we had no choice but to rent. Mind you, as horrible as it is to rent, and from reading the replies on this read, I've realised that we've made it work by renting and saving so we've been lucky and renting in Dublin as well which isn't possible for a lot of people.

I'll take up that advice as well for continue the way of putting money away for the rent and savings. That actually sounds like it would be easier and I would still be keeping track of my money but I guess it wouldn't be as strict. I think it'll be more knowing that, it's my own home I'm putting this money towards and not paying someone else's mortage.

Our families aren't really huge on celebrating Christmas. Might pop in for an hour say hello and back off home so I guess they wouldn't be too hard up on not receiving anything from us. Not that we are stingy and wouldn't arrive with presents, especially for the kids but it seems like they are older now and aunts and uncles etc have gotten to the point where they are just happy to see faces than receiving anything but I'll definitely make a note nearer the time to let them know just so it doesn't look like I've dropped into their house for free food haha.

I've even cancelled my gym membership. It wasn't like I was going much but it was nice to have an option haha. I wasn't paying too much for a membership but I've notice that since it's not coming out of my account, I've been able to confidently add a little extra to savings if there are times that I'm able too. Mind you, nothing like a walk outdoors and workouts at home that pretty much does the same job as a gym.

We are in the house 5 months now, and because we’re putting away every fortnight more than we need for mortgage, bills, etc we’re now in the position that if we did want to go away on holidays and weekends away it’s possible, hopefully when all this is over anyway!

You’ll soon find a routine. We’re lucky as even when saving we had enough fun money left over so we’ll use that and not the money in the mortgage account - just means if we have extra we can put in less the month before we go away for spending money! We’re by no means minted - 2 civil servants, we’re not stingy, we are just very pragmatic about money, luckily I’m not much of a drinker so if we go out for a night out, work do, family do, etc I won’t drink and drive us home so that saves taxi money, stuff like that has saved us a lot really.

My family is the same, nothing is ever expected, and when we were saving for the house, a lot of people were just happy that we showed up! We got small gifts from family but never expected anything. Our parents jointly gifted us the kitchen and that was more than enough for the next 10 christmases!

Yea, gym membership was the first to go! Unfortunately the dogs trust DD had to go too, but in time I’ll maybe start that one up again.

It’s amazing to get out of the renting trap, still getting my head around that I can paint whatever I want on the walls and drill holes and won’t lose a deposit :pac:

It’s funny how when your money goes into your own house the feeling of accomplishment and pride you feel. I understand now why my mam always gave out about my room!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Don't get a fixer upper. A homebuyers report is not a clean bill of health. Get a house built within the last decade if possible. Avoid buying the most expensive house you can get a loan for, if you can.

• Advertisement

We are in the house 5 months now, and because we’re putting away every fortnight more than we need for mortgage, bills, etc we’re now in the position that if we did want to go away on holidays and weekends away it’s possible, hopefully when all this is over anyway!

You’ll soon find a routine. We’re lucky as even when saving we had enough fun money left over so we’ll use that and not the money in the mortgage account - just means if we have extra we can put in less the month before we go away for spending money! We’re by no means minted - 2 civil servants, we’re not stingy, we are just very pragmatic about money, luckily I’m not much of a drinker so if we go out for a night out, work do, family do, etc I won’t drink and drive us home so that saves taxi money, stuff like that has saved us a lot really.

My family is the same, nothing is ever expected, and when we were saving for the house, a lot of people were just happy that we showed up! We got small gifts from family but never expected anything. Our parents jointly gifted us the kitchen and that was more than enough for the next 10 christmases!

Yea, gym membership was the first to go! Unfortunately the dogs trust DD had to go too, but in time I’ll maybe start that one up again.

It’s amazing to get out of the renting trap, still getting my head around that I can paint whatever I want on the walls and drill holes and won’t lose a deposit :pac:

It’s funny how when your money goes into your own house the feeling of accomplishment and pride you feel. I understand now why my mam always gave out about my room!!

I genuinely think me and you live the same lives except you have a house haha! I'm like yourself. I barely drink. If there is any family do's, I'm the volunteered driver and I happily do it. My partner is the same. He would go on a night out I would say every 4 months with his friends from work and will be home early enough because like me, he would rather just have a couple of drinks, call it a night plus he does find he watches what he spends when he does go out. When it comes to budgeting now, I buy what I need rather that what I want and that's helped massively epically doing the food shopping. I batch cook a lot so the fact I don't need to do the shop every couple of days helps and also also being so cheap!

He's found that since cancelling his gambling sites, Paddy Power, the usual, he's saved loads but again he wasn't a huge gambler but has notice a change. If the big races were on or just an odd one here and there but I've explained to him that not using the accounts for the time being will help us and I have to say fair play to him because it was one of his little things to enjoy. Now, he would rather clean so I got a good deal from that haha!

I know myself once I get a house, it'll take me ages to understand I can paint and drill holes anywhere I want. The house I'm currently renting now, it looks so bare and looks like we haven't bothered doing anything to it but we physically can't and in a way I'm glad because I know the ideas I have for our new home would mean I can test and trail whatever I want too. It'll be an exciting time nonetheless.

But I definitely love your idea of still putting money away as its like I'm still renting so it means I'm still paying a mortage and still putting away money for whatever we want and need.

Don't get a fixer upper. A homebuyers report is not a clean bill of health. Get a house built within the last decade if possible. Avoid buying the most expensive house you can get a loan for, if you can.

That's exactly what we are hoping for in terms of a newish house. We've realised that a complete fixer upper isn't going to be worth all the saving only to find out that so much has to be done and leave ourselves in a position where we have to take loans out or borrow from parents. From this thread, we've learned so much its been great.

Febreeze wrote: »
    I genuinely think me and you live the same lives except you have a house haha! I'm like yourself. I barely drink. If there is any family do's, I'm the volunteered driver and I happily do it. My partner is the same. He would go on a night out I would say every 4 months with his friends from work and will be home early enough because like me, he would rather just have a couple of drinks, call it a night plus he does find he watches what he spends when he does go out. When it comes to budgeting now, I buy what I need rather that what I want and that's helped massively epically doing the food shopping. I batch cook a lot so the fact I don't need to do the shop every couple of days helps and also also being so cheap!

He's found that since cancelling his gambling sites, Paddy Power, the usual, he's saved loads but again he wasn't a huge gambler but has notice a change. If the big races were on or just an odd one here and there but I've explained to him that not using the accounts for the time being will help us and I have to say fair play to him because it was one of his little things to enjoy. Now, he would rather clean so I got a good deal from that haha!

I know myself once I get a house, it'll take me ages to understand I can paint and drill holes anywhere I want. The house I'm currently renting now, it looks so bare and looks like we haven't bothered doing anything to it but we physically can't and in a way I'm glad because I know the ideas I have for our new home would mean I can test and trail whatever I want too. It'll be an exciting time nonetheless.

But I definitely love your idea of still putting money away as its like I'm still renting so it means I'm still paying a mortage and still putting away money for whatever we want and need.

Himself is the same, he will go out every few Months with friends and such or work mates, especially as were in Kildare and he usually goes into Dublin, so I’d rather spend the tenner petro over the €60 taxi! It is very helpful. Plus our broker said our lifestyle of spending €50 in Eddie rockets or TGIs, cinema, etc looked better than every weekend spending €100 on alcohol, said it looks better. Obviously a bank can’t judge, but they do!

We also found they query taking cash out, so we just ran everything through the bank accounts. Easier to justify €70 in Penney’s than is was to withdraw €100 and justify it. Some may say different, but we kept the bank accounts healthy, kept necessary DDs, bought stuff through it. Was more transparent.

And if you have a resolute they will ask for statements for that too.

It’s just knowing that it’s yours, it still hasn’t sunk in yet, but we out curtains up last week and after the first hole was drilled and we got over the “oh ****” moment it was very freeing!

Himself is the same, he will go out every few Months with friends and such or work mates, especially as were in Kildare and he usually goes into Dublin, so I’d rather spend the tenner petro over the €60 taxi! It is very helpful. Plus our broker said our lifestyle of spending €50 in Eddie rockets or TGIs, cinema, etc looked better than every weekend spending €100 on alcohol, said it looks better. Obviously a bank can’t judge, but they do!

We also found they query taking cash out, so we just ran everything through the bank accounts. Easier to justify €70 in Penney’s than is was to withdraw €100 and justify it. Some may say different, but we kept the bank accounts healthy, kept necessary DDs, bought stuff through it. Was more transparent.

And if you have a resolute they will ask for statements for that too.

It’s just knowing that it’s yours, it still hasn’t sunk in yet, but we out curtains up last week and after the first hole was drilled and we got over the “oh ****” moment it was very freeing!

I even went extra and cancelled my Revolute account. Although I do accept the savings option with the revolute app is very good and its great for savings loose coins as they would say, I found i was spending more than I needed to so I could round up my savings. Maybe when this is all done and Im sat in my new home with a cup of tea (some would say wine but again I barely drink so tea excites me just as much haha!) ill probably sit down and see about getting revolute again. That's definitely nipped for now.

I can't wait for that "ohhhh **** we can actually do what we want" moment. My first freeing moment will probably be the bedroom and sitting room. Our room and sitting room now is so basic and I'm dying to get my hands on some paint and curtains and frames and just go the whole hog and not feel one bit guilty. My partner is dying to get his hands on a garden and build his own little man shed.

I actually won't know myself.

We went down to my parents house the other day, social distant greeting of course, and they are more excited than we are. Mind you they are just happy to know we've gathered as much information as we could especially from this thread. They said when they were buying a house it wasn't half as dramatic as it is now. But hey, that's the fun part I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

You almost have to go to great lengths to show you did not need the money.

It is worth bearing in mind that mortgage providers are in the business of selling mortgages and there is a 'Mortgage Advisor' attached to every branch with a sales target to hit every month.

Trust me, underwriters are not that bothered if you stop going to the cinema and start shopping in Lidl- they factor living costs regardless.

In other words and within reason, it is easier than you think to get a mortgage and you are in a better position than you may believe.

You almost have to go to great lengths to show you did not need the money.

It is worth bearing in mind that mortgage providers are in the business of selling mortgages and there is a 'Mortgage Advisor' attached to every branch with a sales target to hit every month.

Trust me, underwriters are not that bothered if you stop going to the cinema and start shopping in Lidl- they factor living costs regardless.

In other words and within reason, it is easier than you think to get a mortgage and you are in a better position than you may believe.

Do you reckon?

They would rather see you can pay them off and not at all that bothered about what exactly you spend your money on or is it just more so see that you can pay and still afford to live? I'm a little bit confused.

I do get that some days I tend to panic a little bit thinking we cant afford to save because we've rent etc but watching what we have done the last few months in terms of saving, watching what we spend our money on, thinking wisely about what we do need, we are still able to live so i think my main issue lies on what the banks actually want to see, what would prove to them that we are a good candidate for a mortage and not just two young couples saving for the fun of it and chancing our arms, do they want to see how much you've saved or is it a case of what you can afford? Or both?

I know I've asked about 20 questions there but I'm just a little bit confused as to how easy it is to get a mortage if it seems pointless to cancel a lot of subscriptions, go to brokers or save as much as we need, switch shopping stores etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coughdrops

You don't need to cancel everything - when they look at your accounts, they will expect to see *some* things like shopping and leisure activities, if you can afford them. As long as it is not leaving you broke at the end of the month, and you've budgeted your savings too.

IME it is better to have a consistent saving pattern too - even if it is a small amount each month, and you top it up when you can afford a bit more, that shows you budget for savings. E.G. if you want to save €500 per month, but some months you can't afford that, I'd save €350 per month and the months you have the extra €150 add it in.

Your rent will count towards your affordability too.

When you are getting close to having your deposit saved, spend the 6 months before being a bit more careful on unnecessary spending, but you don't have to cancel everything e.g. your gym or Netflix (I know some people want to, to save faster, that's fine too of course!)

coughdrops wrote: »
    You don't need to cancel everything - when they look at your accounts, they will expect to see *some* things like shopping and leisure activities, if you can afford them. As long as it is not leaving you broke at the end of the month, and you've budgeted your savings too.

IME it is better to have a consistent saving pattern too - even if it is a small amount each month, and you top it up when you can afford a bit more, that shows you budget for savings. E.G. if you want to save €500 per month, but some months you can't afford that, I'd save €350 per month and the months you have the extra €150 add it in.

Your rent will count towards your affordability too.

When you are getting close to having your deposit saved, spend the 6 months before being a bit more careful on unnecessary spending, but you don't have to cancel everything e.g. your gym or Netflix (I know some people want to, to save faster, that's fine too of course!)

Oh perfect!

Exactly what I was hoping to gather from this. Of course all advice, opinions, tips and tricks are all taking into consideration and I've learned loads, believe me.

So far, all is well in the savings. If found I've more than enough left by the end of the week as I get paid weekly so the day before pay day and I've still a decent enough, even if its €20. I'll throw that into the savings as well. Treat night is once a week so that's our "big splurge" because obviously we can't go out properly. Luckily I'm not a huge shop a holic so it doesn't phase me if I don't splurge on clothes but I will admit, I've seen some great sales online but again, I refrained as to me it honestly seems pointless buying loads in a sale when I know I wont even wear half the stuff I bought plus it works out handy that the wardropes in my current house is tiny so I have no reasons to buy clothes to squeeze into a tiny wardrope!

Mind you, I know ikea will be opening up soon so I'll have to refraine from buying "new house bits". 1) there will be nowhere to even put them in this house and 2) I will end up buying and orange peeler I'll never use just because its in IKEA for €2 haha!

People are overthinking the whole preparing to purchase imo. Consistent saving is pretty much all you need to have and then it’s just down to your major outgoings like kids, other loans and of course your salary to calculate the amount.

I wouldn’t be willing to give up or curtail most of the stuff some people are doing or jump through the hoops many are. I got mortgage approval as a single applicant a few years ago but didn’t buy at the time in the end but I did nothing to prepare for it except lodge money my paddy power account in cash rather than from my bank account. I was going out 2/3 nights per weeks, loads of eating out, buying things I wanted etc etc but I was saving a lot too and had far more than 10%. Nothing was questioned and I got the approval no problem.

I’ll be going for a self build mortgage in the next year with my wife and to be honest I’m not even convinced it’s worth avoiding having gambling or lotto on my statements as I don’t think it will be an issue. Ok I’ve made the effort to top up betting using PayPal as statements from PayPal are not usually requested but lotto I have to use my irish bank card.

I’ve pretty much been consistently saving all along so I’m not particularly worried about getting a mortgage due to any of my spending habits etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

DONT :

Take a monster of a sh*te that results in the same stench in the property when you go to a viewing after getting on very well with the estate agent.

Advertisement