Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours being a nuisance since Covid-19

Options
  • 09-05-2020 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭

My neighbours are Romanian and they are having parties/BBQ nearly every second day which don’t go on past 10pm so at least sleep is ok but start at 2/3pm and having all their kids over which keep ringing our doorbell.

It started a few weeks ago and it has gone on every second day sometimes daily constantly.
    I’ve rang the guards twice and it hasn’t done anything.
    It’s really affecting my mental health.

I’m close to being in a punchup with one of the adults.
    It’s non stop noise. Noise noise noise. Screaming running around banging off front door shouting.
    Ringing our doorbell.
    Went mad at them 3 times last night.
    Rang it at 10.30pm. Latest I’ve seen them out.
    What do I do?
    Move out?

The problem is, I’m a ground floor apt and my front door faces theirs and every time I open my door there’s 3 or 4 kids/adults standing in front of me.
    They block other people’s cars in with theirs.

Maybe this always happened but I was in work but I don’t think so.
    I think someone next door met another Romanian man and his kids mix with her kids.
    There is literally so many of them.
    It’s a 2 bed apartment and there’s about 30 of them.
    Now they don’t all live together. Cars just start showing up early in the day and before you know it you have 10/15 kids and 8/10 adults.

The guards came twice.

The first time they came 6 hours too late as the party had stopped.
    The 2nd time the guards came and the Romanians went inside their apartment and kept quiet. But the people didn’t disperse.

But the following day it started all over again.
    Yesterday the doorbell was rang like 5 times in total.
    There is no social distancing you literally have to squeeze by the kids when going to car.

Any suggestions?

Thought I would be out of this apartment by now but unfortunately not due to c-19.
    Though the area is generally fine and the neighbours have only started doing this during week days and lockdowns began.
    Didn’t mind it the odd time at the weekend because they did usually say hello etc. Everyone else around us is lovely and the kids are lovely. It’s just this one family pissing everyone off. It can’t be just me they are annoying. I’m just in the unfortunate position of living on their heavy traffic volume doorstep.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Not much to add other than to keep ringing the guards everyday regardless of whether they turn up or not.
    That sounds awful.
    Hopefully for your sake the weather turns soon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If the neighbours are renting, it's worth investigating the RTB Third party dispute resolution services

In the mean time keep ringing the Gardai and log dates/times of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Take a video of it if possible. Down to station, ask to speak to the Duty Sargent and have the complaint logged. Do this every time. If it persists then ask for the Superintendent for the area or go higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Disconnect your doorbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭student7890

Options;

1. ignore all noise, invest in earphones, sound proofing, be out of the place a lot.

2. look for other accommodation and move out

3. stay and document all annoyances: appeal to landlord, management co, guards

4. fight back (I won't be taking queries on this one)

5. all of the above

Beam me up Scotty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Hi Op,

I would get onto the Management company or agent, log the constant noise nuisance issues, house rules do exist for apartments. If they are non resident individuals more than 4 constantly visiting the apartment, thats a major breach of the covid-19 social distancing rules. That said your dealing with a Roma family, they dont exactly abide by the rules of society, it will only get worse.

Go down the road of compiling all the issues you have had with this family , get onto the management company all the time.

Anti -social behaviour by them blocking in other residents cars with there visitors and the ringing of your doorbell is obviously an antagonising tactic to provoke you.

Id seriously look at getting out of there if your renting, invest and wear ear phones and as weather is good, get out for walks and dis connect your doorbell asap. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

kravmaga wrote: »

Snip...... That said your dealing with a Roma family, they dont exactly abide by the rules of society, it will only get worse.......Snip

Where did the OP say Roma?

KevRossi wrote: »
    Take a video of it if possible. Down to station, ask to speak to the Duty Sargent and have the complaint logged. Do this every time. If it persists then ask for the Superintendent for the area or go higher.

Sigh, why does everyone think that this is an answer?

Superintendent won't speak to you. Simple as.

Sergeant might if there is one, no such thing as a duty Sergeant though and here / she certainly won't take the case on themselves.

It's a noise complaint, not a criminal offense so Gardai can do sweet fa. In fact the op is lucky that he's getting a car to even call. It's a courtesy more than anything else.

As for covid, this issue has been raised. Gardai have no power to make people leave a private premises or to socially distance. The powers that were enacted left a million holes.

Here's how to deal with it;

A, do continue to log calls with the Gardai and note it. If there's a community Garda for your area, have a chat and see if they can help. They may be about to issue an asbo if there's enough complaints. Probable not but you never know.

B, contact the landlord if it's rented. It should be registered with ptb. If it's not then maybe another neighbor knows them. Most landlords want trouble tenants like they want a hole in the head so will usually act.

C, finally you can complain to the Ptb but by God will you be left waiting.

D, record all of this. Dates and times, videos if appropriate, photos and so on.

I feel for you op, had it myself many years ago. Lot worse than you sadly as it was 24/7 but I did eventually get them evicted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod

folks, I've deleted a few off-topic posts before the thread gets completely derailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Newbie20

My neighbours are Romanian and they are having parties/BBQ nearly every second day which don’t go on past 10pm so at least sleep is ok but start at 2/3pm and having all their kids over which keep ringing our doorbell.

It started a few weeks ago and it has gone on every second day sometimes daily constantly.
    I’ve rang the guards twice and it hasn’t done anything.
    It’s really affecting my mental health.

I’m close to being in a punchup with one of the adults.
    It’s non stop noise. Noise noise noise. Screaming running around banging off front door shouting.
    Ringing our doorbell.
    Went mad at them 3 times last night.
    Rang it at 10.30pm. Latest I’ve seen them out.
    What do I do?
    Move out?

The problem is, I’m a ground floor apt and my front door faces theirs and every time I open my door there’s 3 or 4 kids/adults standing in front of me.
    They block other people’s cars in with theirs.

Maybe this always happened but I was in work but I don’t think so.
    I think someone next door met another Romanian man and his kids mix with her kids.
    There is literally so many of them.
    It’s a 2 bed apartment and there’s about 30 of them.
    Now they don’t all live together. Cars just start showing up early in the day and before you know it you have 10/15 kids and 8/10 adults.

The guards came twice.

The first time they came 6 hours too late as the party had stopped.
    The 2nd time the guards came and the Romanians went inside their apartment and kept quiet. But the people didn’t disperse.

But the following day it started all over again.
    Yesterday the doorbell was rang like 5 times in total.
    There is no social distancing you literally have to squeeze by the kids when going to car.

Any suggestions?

Thought I would be out of this apartment by now but unfortunately not due to c-19.
    Though the area is generally fine and the neighbours have only started doing this during week days and lockdowns began.
    Didn’t mind it the odd time at the weekend because they did usually say hello etc. Everyone else around us is lovely and the kids are lovely. It’s just this one family pissing everyone off. It can’t be just me they are annoying. I’m just in the unfortunate position of living on their heavy traffic volume doorstep.

I do feel for you. We have neighbours that are a bit annoying too but nowhere near on the scale you’re talking. I think tensions are just heightened at the moment, everything seem worse and you never have a situation where nearly everyone is at home all the time. I imagine yours isn’t the only example of tension between neighbours right now.

Maybe you could do a couple of small things to give them a taste of their own medicine? Put some disgusting sticky substance on your doorbell, that might sort that problem. With the car situation, could you box them in one day to draw their attention to how inconsiderate it is? When they ask you to move let them know this is the crap you’re dealing with regularly. I normally wouldn’t be suggesting starting a war with your neighbours but they are clearly antogosing you so I don’t see any harm in hitting back.

Speak to the other neighbours in the area and see if they are feeling similarly. If they are ye might be able to sort something out between you all. As others have said you need to try and contact the management company / landlord. Though unfortunately sometimes they just don’t want to know. Worth getting onto them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Cheers for all the helpful posts.
    I don’t think they are trying to antagonise me as some of the adults are unaware of the kids doing the nick nacks.
    What stops me complaining to the adults about the nick nacks is I don’t want to cause agro.
    One of the guys I’m friendly with I’ll have a chat with him next time I catch him on his own.

Now in saying that I have had multiple complaints to the neighbours but they have always been friendly afterwards and accepted the complaint. Even some of the kids will say hi etc.

But my patience has been worn thin recently especially with everything going on.

Tonight we had 2 nick nacks. Also I’d like to point out that I haven’t been answering the door because this is what they are looking for up until last night my OH gave out to the little girl around 12 years of age. She then started shouting and walking towards the door and my OH slammed the door and got afraid that she nearly caught her fingers in the door, I was in the shower. Gladly nobody was injured.

The door bell ringing has gone on for some time now but I’m just totally fed up. And when I get really angry I stop myself from complaining to the adults because some of the older men appear to be quite dodgy, and I’m ready to lose my head so I usually talk myself down.

I done nick nacks as a kid but I think the kids are hitting us as it’s right where they hangout. These kids age from 6-7 to 12-13 years of age.
    I think it’s actually the younger ones. Parking my car is a total nightmare as the kids keep running behind the car some without realising will stand there staring from my parking space which is funny when they eventually realise and then they apologise when I get out of the car and this actually doesn’t annoy me, I just laugh.

But it’s a mix of everything is just grinding us down. Today we came back from the park and as we parked one of the kids flew past the back of the car on a bike as I was reversing and I jammed on. The parents didn’t even say anything and the adults were all standing around. When we get out of the car they all just stare at us which is quite intimidating especially for my OH. I usually just stare back.
    Then one of the friendly ones can sense agro and just said Hi I replied with an alright mate. Clearly pissed off.

Sorry for the long winded post here. The situation is a bit mad. I think I’ll try get in touch the LL.
    The couple that used to live above told me that when the Romanians moved into that apartment beside me they stopped paying the rent immediately and forced the LL into taking HAP.
    So that’s the type of people we’re dealing with. Same LL owns the apartment above and the Romanians beside me.

The couple that used to live above told me that when the Romanians moved into that apartment beside me they stopped paying the rent immediately and forced the LL into taking HAP.
    So that’s the type of people we’re dealing with. Same LL owns the apartment above and the Romanians beside me.

That's gossip. Plain and simple. A person's friends neighbor....

As for covid, this issue has been raised. Gardai have no power to make people leave a private premises or to socially distance. The powers that were enacted left a million holes.

Yes they do have the power, plenty of cases of them sending people away and dispersing people from houses under the covid restrictions. Just google it.

One example: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%25C3%25AD-deal-with-big-increase-in-house-parties-amid-coronavirus-1.4239423%3Fmode%3Damp

“Most dispersed without incidence” i.e. the guards sent people home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I know it's difficult but apart from mixing family hubs and lack of social distancing they seem to be within the law. Their family gathering ends by 10:30pm. This seems to be normal noise if someone is having a family barbecue. Noise you would normally put up with once a week or once every few weeks. Obviously the issue is they seem to be having them daily.

House around the corner from me has several parties every year. Loud parties with a DJ no less. Worse in the summer as we need to have windows open and their party swells out into the garden. Sometimes it's still along Sunday morning! Gardai would get several calls each time. It's been brought up with community meetings with the Gardai. Gardai say that once called all they can do is knock in & politely ask them to lower the music. They can't enter or force them to reduce volume.

I believe part of the new emergency powers given to the Gardai is to be able to enter a private home and break up large gatherings. I was under the impression that under this legislation they can literally send people home or arrest them for breaking the large gathering rules

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wouldn't wish to be in your position op.

But ...

Apartment living in a nut shell.

Yes they do have the power, plenty of cases of them sending people away and dispersing people from houses under the covid restrictions. Just google it.

One example: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%25C3%25AD-deal-with-big-increase-in-house-parties-amid-coronavirus-1.4239423%3Fmode%3Damp

“Most dispersed without incidence” i.e. the guards sent people home.

For someone who hasn't quoted any law nor linked to any law or article that mentions a legal power being utilised, you seem very confident of your position.

We can ASK, we cannot demand and then arrest. It's a private premises. There is a difference between you voluntarily complying with a request and you complying with a lawful demand made under threat of arrest. There's also a big difference between you travelling to the beach and being found on the beach and being inside a private home.

The powers granted to Gardai relate ONLY to essential travel in public and does not touch private premises or density of people. You cannot be arrested for not staying 2 meters from people on that alone. You cannot be arrested in your mates home for breach of covid regulations purely utilising Garda powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The powers granted to Gardai relate ONLY to essential travel in public and does not touch private premises or density of people. You cannot be arrested for not staying 2 meters from people on that alone. You cannot be arrested in your mates home for breach of covid regulations purely utilising Garda powers.

I was mistaken re Gardai new emergency powers and telling people to go home. Thanks for clearing that up.

That's gossip. Plain and simple. A person's friends neighbor....

My neighbour who lived directly above me told me this.
    There is only a block of 4. My landlord is different from the other 3 apartments which share the same LL.
    He had the same Landlord and was friendly with him.
    The problem is he moved out 6 months ago.

Not sure how I can get the LL’s details.
    The tenancies aren’t registered. Any of the 3 apartments around me which are rented by the same LL.

What’s the best idea now? Report this?

On a plus note there seems to be a bit of silence today.
    Although not counting my chickens yet as they started late yesterday.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I know it's difficult but apart from mixing family hubs and lack of social distancing they seem to be within the law. Their family gathering ends by 10:30pm. This seems to be normal noise if someone is having a family barbecue. Noise you would normally put up with once a week or once every few weeks. Obviously the issue is they seem to be having them daily.

See this is it in a nutshell.
    Hopefully I’m back in work soon and not still working from home. And then I can move out quicker. Might actually ask my LL does he know the LL that owns the 3 apartments around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

On a plus note there seems to be a bit of silence today.
    Although not counting my chickens yet as they started late yesterday.

OP, you might want to investigate some telephone based counselling for yourself.

Seriously, you're giving out about kids doing nick-nacks, and according the first post non-stop-noise - which stops by 10:30pm (very reasonable) and starts late some days.

If there wasn't a whacking big pandemic destroying some people's lives and everyone's lifestyles, I'd just be telling you to drink a cup of cop-on. But there is. So ... do something to sort out your own stress levels. Your neighbours behaviour does not justify your reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

For someone who hasn't quoted any law nor linked to any law or article that mentions a legal power being utilised, you seem very confident of your position.

We can ASK, we cannot demand and then arrest. It's a private premises. There is a difference between you voluntarily complying with a request and you complying with a lawful demand made under threat of arrest. There's also a big difference between you travelling to the beach and being found on the beach and being inside a private home.

You are only permitted to leave your place of residence for a lawful reason under the emergency powers. If you are found away from your lawful residence and refuse to leave and return to your residence you can be arrested. Irrespective of whether you agree to leave or must be arrested, the penalty on conviction is 6 Months imprisonments and/or a class C (€2,500) fine. The power of arrest is in the Health Act 1947 but understandably would usually be a avoided.

Marcusm wrote: »
    You are only permitted to leave your place of residence for a lawful reason under the emergency powers. If you are found away from your lawful residence and refuse to leave and return to your residence you can be arrested. Irrespective of whether you agree to leave or must be arrested, the penalty on conviction is 6 Months imprisonments and/or a class C (€2,500) fine. The power of arrest is in the Health Act 1947 but understandably would usually be a avoided.

Good man. Your close but your not right.

Lawful purpose isn't mentioned for starters.

It's actually the "Health Act 1947 (Section 31A-Temporary Restrictions) (Covid-19) Regulations 2020"

Third, this little nugget:
    "(b) if the person does not have a home or is not residing in his or her home, such other premises, if any, at which he or she is currently residing, whether on a permanent or temporary basis;"

Fourth, the owner of the property is not staging an 'event' unless it's for reward too my knowledge although I have to admit I'm not 100% on that.

Like I said, the law was written in a very amateur manner and primarily based on people using common sense and a bit of civic responsibility. More fool the minister on that score.

OP, you might want to investigate some telephone based counselling for yourself.

Seriously, you're giving out about kids doing nick-nacks, and according the first post non-stop-noise - which stops by 10:30pm (very reasonable) and starts late some days.

If there wasn't a whacking big pandemic destroying some people's lives and everyone's lifestyles, I'd just be telling you to drink a cup of cop-on. But there is. So ... do something to sort out your own stress levels. Your neighbours behaviour does not justify your reaction.

You haven’t read any of my other posts.
    Cheers!
    I thought it was illegal to be having mass gatherings and not respecting social distancing while putting people’s lives at risk.
    I can’t even leave the apartment without 4 kids and sometimes adults squeezing by me and these kids and adults that don’t even reside opposite me.

This apartment is their gathering spot for all the family and family friends to have bbq’s and party all day long. Pretty frustrating while trying to work from home and respecting the rules set out by the government.
    Drink a cup of cop on yourself and give your head a shake.
    Nobody else’s kids are out on the road. And when they are the parents Are out with them watching them closely for an hour or 2.

Also try opening your front door to a bbq 2 foot from you with smoke blowing into your hallway.
    And I am not exaggerating they done this last year as it was raining and our door ways are under a tiny gap for cover. Youll never understand the situation no matter how much I type.
    May you continue to stew in you’re own ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

sadly this is apartment living, they're stopping early enough to allow you sleep, its annoying but theres very little gardai can do. Disconnect the doorbell and you'll have a much easier life.

sadly this is apartment living, they're stopping early enough to allow you sleep, its annoying but theres very little gardai can do. Disconnect the doorbell and you'll have a much easier life.

Yes I understand this.
    I’m complaining more so of them not obeying social distancing which effects me. And it’s quite disrespectful.
    They’ll just bang on the door if I disconnect the bell.
    I’ll let the land lord know the Garda have been at the premises more than once in the last few weeks and that there’s different people living in the apartment every few weeks.
    Enough is enough.
    Gave them so many chances at this stage in the last 3 years or so. Thankfully there’s no night time antics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Yes I understand this.
    I’m complaining more so of them not obeying social distancing which effects me. And it’s quite disrespectful.
    I’ll let the land lord know the Garda have been at the premises more than once in the last few weeks and that there’s different people living in the apartment every few weeks.
    Enough is enough.
    Gave them so many chances at this stage in the last 3 years or so. Thankfully there’s no night time antics.

What led to the first call to the guards and did things escalate after that? I ask just as calling guards may put some people into line for a while but may make others even worse and actually go out of their way to annoy you more.

I am not for a moment suggesting you were wrong to ring them (even before your answer) or are not 100% correct to be at the peak of frustration btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Good man. Your close but your not right.

Lawful purpose isn't mentioned for starters.

It's actually the "Health Act 1947 (Section 31A-Temporary Restrictions) (Covid-19) Regulations 2020"

Third, this little nugget:
    "(b) if the person does not have a home or is not residing in his or her home, such other premises, if any, at which he or she is currently residing, whether on a permanent or temporary basis;"

Fourth, the owner of the property is not staging an 'event' unless it's for reward too my knowledge although I have to admit I'm not 100% on that.

Like I said, the law was written in a very amateur manner and primarily based on people using common sense and a bit of civic responsibility. More fool the minister on that score.

I didn’t suggest that lawful purpose is statutory language:”; the relevant phrase is “reasonable excuse” which term is to be construed on an inclusive basis based on the individual instances given. At no point has the OP suggested that the people who are attending at the house have no residence. The fine I cited is for those attending; I did not suggest that there was any “event”. The draconian rules are such that any person may not be absent from their place of residence at a whim.

Edit: I’ve just realised you are a guard. Your power of arrest arises under section 31A(10) of rte Health Act 1947 (as amended by the recent Health (Preservation and Protection and other Emergency Measures in the Public Interest) Act 2020) which requires you to take various actions to tell them to disperse, insist on the provision of name & address etc before you can proceed to arrest without a warrant.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I didn’t suggest that lawful purpose is statutory language:”; the relevant phrase is “reasonable excuse” which term is to be construed on an inclusive basis based on the individual instances given. At no point has the OP suggested that the people who are attending at the house have no residence. The fine I cited is for those attending; I did not suggest that there was any “event”. The draconian rules are such that any person may not be absent from their place of residence at a whim.

Edit: I’ve just realised you are a guard. Your power of arrest arises under section 31A(10) of rte Health Act 1947 (as amended by the recent Health (Preservation and Protection and other Emergency Measures in the Public Interest) Act 2020) which requires you to take various actions to tell them to disperse, insist on the provision of name & address etc before you can proceed to arrest without a warrant.

Could you, by any chance just trust me on this? It is my job after all and I have read the instructions and legislation regarding my powers along with the decision of the AG, dpp and Garda legal section. If not, there's not much more I can do really as I have already explained it as best I can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Yes I understand this.
    Enough is enough.

Op can you just confirm are they Romanian nationals or Roma gypsies ?

Apparently there is a few SJW,s /sensitive types posting on here and are very offended and upset at the use of the word Roma.

You know you can file an ASBO with local Garda station if you log all the anti social issues they are causing you and any other neighbours in the apartment complex.

Op Ive sent you a PM

• Advertisement

Could you, by any chance just trust me on this? It is my job after all and I have read the instructions and legislation regarding my powers along with the decision of the AG, dpp and Garda legal section. If not, there's not much more I can do really as I have already explained it as best I can

I won’t trust you on it anyway, the rules clearly give the power to arrest people who are away from their home without reason and who are not observing social distancing rules.

You either aren’t really a guard or are have a poor understanding of the rules. The people in the op are breaking multiple rules, likely outside 2/5km from home for an invalid reason, leaving home for an invalid reason, gathering in groups not from the same household, visiting another house etc etc.

Advertisement