Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Bus Service Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

To be fair Bus Éireann/Translink have a whole lane to themselves too.

Dublin Coach would be with all the other operators in Zone 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AX636

Wexford bus is now where translink use to be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Any update on the proposed route from the airport to Raheny and Clontarf etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was reading on Reddit this morning that there was a anti-migrant protest and a car accident which had been located near one of the roundabouts at Dublin Airport yesterday.

A small group of protestors had blocked the road leaving a whole pile of traffic in front of them. A video clip in the Reddit discussion was showing a Wexford Bus coach and a double deck bus being blocked in traffic.

Was anyone on this thread going up to Dublin Airport yesterday?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Aircoach are beta testing a new app which is far improved over the last one. Unlike the previous one, it's linked to the same booking engine as aircoach.ie and offers the same pricing and you use tickets in the same way.

It seems to support push notifications as well to update you on the status of the service and your coach, since someone tried to send a test update through earlier today that I got that seems I wasn't meant to as it was labelled with test!

As an Aircoach customer, you can expect a service that aims to continuously improve its passenger experience. Now, we’re giving you the opportunity to actively participate in the testing of our new App and to input into the final launch version. As a valued Aircoach customer, you are invited to join the test group and be one of the first to put our new app through its paces!

Review an improved and intuitive booking process with enhanced functionalities from journey tracking to additional wallet, quick checkout, and customer account features.

It’s a prime opportunity for you to show us how you’re using the Aircoach App and what we can do to improve your Aircoach experience. Join the Test Group now and let your voice be heard!

Apple Devices - https://testflight.apple.com/join/dD8RVAjS

Android Devices - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aircoach.android

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Apparently an Aircoach coloured tourismo was spotted in the Mercedes MUTEC dealership on the Long Mile Road, so they're not far off from being delivered I'd imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

as i under stand the belfast ones are Due Any time now 5 were will have route branding on them for the 705x

Have they ordered any for use on other routes as well, or is it just the 5 for the 705x that they've ordered as of now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

• Advertisement

Surely any that get sent up to the North should be branded for the 705X? It's not as if they are going to be allowed to operate on any other route.

Lets hope they decided to go for a better spec of vehicle than the Panthers with comfort and legroom that is suited to intercity trips. The Panthers are not suitable for anything other than the non intercity routes in my book.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hopefully these new coaches end up on the Cork route too. Other then the very nice toilet, I'd agree that that Panthers aren't really well suited to intercity service. Given the competition they now face from Citylink/GoBus with nice new Volvo 9900's on the Cork route, they definitely need new coaches to compete.

Citylink / GoBus are likely to be increasing their offering on the Dublin to Cork route in the coming weeks as well from what I have heard.

Of course Aircoach need to up their offering on that route and the Panthers are nowhere near good enough for intercity travel, but it's no co-incidence that CityLink have chosen to invest heavily in premium coaches on Dublin to Cork but hasn't gone for the same approach on the Galway route where they are dominant.

Airport Hopper - Free Travel Pass

Can someone tell me what the current situation is with the free travel pass is and whether operators are permitted to require patrons of their services to pre-book their travel and also pay a fee for the privilege of doing so?

According to the NTA the license for the service continues to be owned by Dualway and according to the Department of Social Protection, both of the routes are included in the free travel scheme that is administered by the state.

However Airport Hopper are now claiming that to travel with a free travel pass, you need to pre-book which means that there is no way of getting out of paying a €3 fee as they are seemingly excluding the walk up option. It also raises questions about companion passes.

https://www.facebook.com/AirportHopperDublin/posts/pfbid02aX539jzWfRFBdKgyY3xEF9AtvprMhgqGmSni5mx88Vxjn2b6QEW4oNfdo2UgzqtFl

The Aircoach Derry - Belfast International Airport - Belfast - Dublin Airport - Dublin service is moving to the coach park at Belfast International airport as of 23rd April.

Also it has been revealed that Aircoach paid €2.7m for Airporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

One of the lads I follow on tiktok is a driver for First in Great Yarmouth, hes been sent to Dublin for a month with a few others. Hes been trained in on the staff shuttles.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Which just highlights how hard it is to recruit bus drivers here.

I have noticed that Aircoach have also been running a "we are hiring" display on their coaches

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It’s no easier over there either to be fair.

Some further news about Aircoach, going by the Tapatalk forums and facebook. They have gotten around 15 MCV Evora electric single deckers to replace their bendy fleet on staff & car park duties. There's currently a Nolan coaches mini-bus on hire for the shuttles as well due to the amount of breakdowns with the bendy buses

• Advertisement

They're not electric. They're conventional diesels on B8RLE.

The electrics will follow in the medium term.

So they are getting normal single decks to replace bendy buses? That's going to work well.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Yeah they struggle as is with the bendy buses so I wonder will the frequency increase at all to account for the smaller buses.

It's an interim measure. The existing fleet has been run pretty much 24 hours a day 364 days a year for 15 years and is increasingly unreliable.

There will be fully electric vehicles to follow but there needs to be infrastructure works at the airport and operator end before this can happen. Also there is a fairly long lead time on the vehicles.

I believe the Blue carpark will increase from 3 buses to 4 buses on at a time and the red will increase to 6 buses up from 5.

Are these fully electric vehicles going to be bendy buses? Just cant see how replacing bendy buses with normal single deck buses will work unless there's a major frequency upgrade, which lets be honest isn't going to happen with the staff shortages.

Its a disgrace Joe!

The rigids they use for the staff carpark have been ending up being used on the red carpark increasingly in recent months due to bendys being off the road these buses have barely any luggage racks and are completely unsuitable for the red carpark.

Quickpark used to use a mix of rigids and bendys when it was open. All the carparks have been under serious pressure since quickpark closed particularly the blue.

The problem is that if they bought diesel articulated vehicles as an interim measure they would have little resale value or ways to use them. So doesn't make sense to buy new ones for an interim period.

No doubt these vehicles will be deployed back in UK once the electric fleet arrives. Remember that First who own Aircoach also own the UKs most popular second hand bus dealer.

New Aircoach Mercedes. (Photo Irish Transport Forum)

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement

Believe to be three delivered to the Dublin operation so far.

Advertisement