Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas FM to pull 'Baby it's Cold Outside'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Will santa be allowed to say HOE HOE HOE next year or there after?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,371 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Will santa be allowed to say HOE HOE HOE next year or there after?

Definitely a micro aggression.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Irish station also have.

yeah but not because of its content, one of the dj's is doing the current AMA and confirmed as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,831 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

The Irish station also have.

Go to the AMA thread and you'll find the reason why Christmas fm here aren't playing it .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Go to the AMA thread and you'll find the reason why Christmas fm here aren't playing it .

Yes and its less juicy than is been made out!

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Partially quoted from other thread
    The Official thinking here is that we'll be open to playing an updated version of this song if someone was to modernise it to not be a male asking a female to reconsider and make it more relevant / easier to explain to kids who listen. Thats not Pro-Feminism in my opinion, but we've loads of other amazing songs we can play and its just not worth the hassle or our focus.
    In the original movie, the roles are switched halfway through the song. So it's not a male asking a female to reconsider..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Suckit wrote: »

In the original movie, the roles are switched halfway through the song. So it's not a male asking a female to reconsider..

The strange thing is, Baby it's cold outside is actually about women owning their sexuality, not 'date rape'. It's essentially sexual liberation, not supposed 'rape culture'.

The people trying to ban it are those who do the 'slut walks'. They don't get that it's very liberal, ahead of it's time in many respects.

https://www.indy100.com/article/baby-its-cold-outside-consent-song-drink-spiked-feminist-feminism-christmas-misogyny-8084571

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Back in 1997ish, we won a big goodie bag from the old Vrigin Radio 1215mw.

It was the only station we could get in the tractors and the breakfast show was looking for "PC" lyrics to a Robbie Williams song as it would cause issues in the USA.

Original words

"My breath smells like a thousand fags and when Im drunk I dance like my dad"

We phoned in with " My breath smells like a million smokes and when im drunk I dance like my folks".

Never checked to see if RW used it! We did get the goodie bag and a verbal warning for misuse of the work phone however!

Just reword it but not make it over PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

more snowflake nonsense.

Its a song ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Suckit wrote: »

The image does seem slightly rapey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

It's not even that cold outside to be fair.. Something something Global warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Floppybits

theguzman wrote: »
    Next to get the chop is Fairy Tale of New York over the inclusion of the word "******". These type of people won't be happy until all Christians are executed I think.

If only we were that lucky not to have fairytale of new york inflicted on us every 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Next to get the chop is Fairy Tale of New York over the inclusion of the word "******".

Next on the list is Eartha Kitt, apparently, for portraying women as being materialistic and Mariah's in the their crosshairs too for having the cheek to want a man person.

I had actually thought this one was taking the piss, especially given her comments on I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, but nope, bizarrely she's completely serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Next on the list is Eartha Kitt, apparently, for portraying women as being materialistic and Mariah's in the their crosshairs too for having the cheek to want a man person.

I had actually thought this one was taking the piss, especially given her comments on I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, but nope, bizarrely she's completely serious.

Surprise surprise the comments are disabled for her videos.. Can't take ridicule. These people scare me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Of course she is. She is like the left version of Alex Jones. Made famous mainly by the threats of rape and murder made against her following her stupid game trope videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

touts wrote: »

Grandma got run over by a reindeer - Clear case of Elder abuse

I think this song should be banned. By all radio stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I wonder when they will be editing the rapey scenes from the Bond movies. Has to be the next big outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭3DataModem

greencap wrote: »
    ok. actually a bit rapey. but only cause its a theatrical performance.

Really, nobody was following anything but the tune up until these loons started their shyte.

was anyone actually imagining these semi-rapey shenanigans?

that video is 10 times more graphic than anything i'd pictured when the song was in my head.

This movie is Neptune's Daughter, and the song is actually performed twice by two different couples with the words / roles reversed.

I wonder when they will be editing the rapey scenes from the Bond movies. Has to be the next big outrage.

James Bond, the spy, who upon reflection engaged in what I now deem to have been unwanted sexual activity with me(my book will be in all major retailers before this storm in a teacup blows over).

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Next to get the chop is Fairy Tale of New York over the inclusion of the word "******".

I can see this coming down the line and I'm surprised that it hasn't happened already. If you or I used that term in work today, we'd be in excrement up to our necks. I'd be delighted as I've grown to dislike the song over the last few years. "Do They Know It's Christmas" should be banned also. Something odd about drunk first world folk belting that out like it's a pop tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

"The Official thinking here is that we'll be open to playing an updated version of this song if someone was to modernise it to not be a male asking a female to reconsider and make it more relevant / easier to explain to kids who listen. Thats not Pro-Feminism in my opinion, but we've loads of other amazing songs we can play and its just not worth the hassle or our focus."

More mealy-mouthed, annoying and jumbled than the American station's reasons. Okay if a women does it, sexual harassment if a man does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Next: the Supreme Being aka God, criticized for non consentual behaviour in Galilee c. 0 AD.

Next: the Supreme Being aka God, criticized for non consentual behaviour in Galilee c. 0 AD.

He also forced Mary to have the baby, surely her choice should have been respected.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

SingleMalt wrote: »
    This is a song that should be embraced by feminists as it is not about a woman being 'manipulated' by a man but rather it is about a woman trying to break free of social convention. She wants to stay & have some fun but is afraid of being judged by family & society.

Exactly, and at that time the phrase "what's in this drink?" didn't refer to roofies or date rape, more like "this is stronger than I thought" / "I can't hold my drink".

I love Baby It's Cold Outside. I have the She & Him version on my Christmas playlist.

What I object to is the overplaying of the 70s / 80s Christmas songs - Shakin Stevens, Slade, Wizzard, Wham etc. Just sick of them. I know the popularity of Christmas songs peaked at that time, which is why there's so many of them, but there's been Christmas songs and albums since then - Smith & Burrows, for one. Why can't shops etc play those?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

P_1 wrote:
    That horiffic Slade song would be nice.

P_1 wrote:
    Actually for the sake of everyone who has had to work retail can we just ban the lot?

Don't know how somebody can stand at a counter and listen to dreadful xmas songs for over a month. Would drive me crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

TCM wrote: »
    Don't know how somebody can stand at a counter and listen to dreadful xmas songs for over a month. Would drive me crazy.

I used to work in retail and the shop had one Christmas CD, which was played, on repeat, from 8am to 9.30pm every day, for a month before Christmas. I can still remember the tracklisting and I grew to hate every one of those songs. It took me years to get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Well.... she does call him a cheap lousy ******, clearly hate speech and should be banned as a result.

What a load of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭setanta1000

biko wrote: »
    Snowflakes ruining everything

Except Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Catholic Church did a lot of banning in its heyday. They also spent a lot of time telling people there was only one way to think on the issues of the day and that anyone who differed from it should be excluded from social discourse.

The 'tolerant' politically correct types can't see any similarities but they seem just the same to me.

Can you define what 'tolerant' politically correct type are exactly? And are you seriously comparing the what the Catholic church done to this non-issue?

Advertisement