Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad bed in rented house!

Options
  • 01-12-2005 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Hi, have just moved into a rented house and realised that the bed is quite crap! it is very creaky, lumpy and NOT a double bed...its more like a single and a half!! was wondering if the landlord has any obligation to buy a new one or do i have to buy one myself?

cheers. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

If the bed aint broken im afraid not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Bitsie

maybe i should try ask him to go halves on one then!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Ask him to buy one first.

If he says no, then try the 50/50 route.

I think he would have some sort of obligation to provide an acceptable level of comfort regarding furnishings.

i dont think so.Why rent the room is you knew the bed was creaky and old.

You don't sleep in a bed on a trial basis before you decide to rent a room do you?

I'm a landlord. I would replace a bed no problem for a tenant.

• Advertisement

Relax culchie im a landlord too.If the bed is in bad condition then replace it by all means.

If its stopping him from having a good nights sleep then ring the landlord and see what he says.

I was just saying that the poster should have checked out the condition of the bed first before moving in.

yes but it is hard to find out what the bed is really like until you spend a night sleeping in it! you dont know what it is really like just sitting on the corner of the bed to test it!

ye i know.Ring the landlord and find out if anything can be done about it if its that bad.So Apologies if i sounded harsh in my earlier post.

no its ok, i do understand where you are coming from too, thats was i am asking in the first place as i wasnt really sure if i would be cheeky by asking!

plus the house is owner occupied so he cant avoid me that easy!

• Advertisement

if the owner lives in the house, show them the bed and see what they say. Nothing worse than not getting a good nights sleep.Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I keep track of everything I buy and normally have a set limit of when I am going to replace things like beds. Ideally I would change the mattress after every tenant but it is simply too costly for yearly tenants. Not many people think about the bed they sleep on that much

well if you had a new tenant that just moved in and they showed you their bed was lumpy and creaky would you replace it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Don't go 50/50 either get landlord to buy it or buy it yourself,if you buy it yourself it is yours and you can bring it with you after if you want.

yeah see thast the thing about buying it myself......im not sure as i dont really have an extra €400 at the moment and what if i move out in another year or so, then what do i do witht he bed?

galwaydude wrote:
    Relax culchie im a landlord too.If the bed is in bad condition then replace it by all means.

I didn't realise I wasn't relaxed. Must get a decent bed and sleep better ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Bitsie wrote:
    well if you had a new tenant that just moved in and they showed you their bed was lumpy and creaky would you replace it?

Probably but if they say 50/50 in an owner occupier situation I think that is fair. It is not quite the same as just landlord and tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is the problem with the mattress or base. Would you buy your own mattress?

the problem is both i think , the mattress is lumpy but must be the base thats creaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daraghmack

galwaydude wrote:
    If the bed aint broken im afraid not.

Break it so!!!!

• Advertisement

ah cant be doing that! seeing as he lives in the house with me then i can show him myself what its like.

Advertisement