Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-04-2019, 19:29   #1
raher1

Volunteering aboard

Hi
I am unemployed and I like to volunteer aboard, is it hard.
I have some skills in IT and farming.
Advertisement
23-04-2019, 19:32   #2
spurious
Category Moderator

You can get the EU to sponsor you and pay you a small allowance while you do it.

https://www.vsi.ie/volunteer/longterm/evs.html
23-04-2019, 19:57   #3
CelticRambler

Very much depends on what you mean by "volunteering" and "abroad"!

Every year, I take charge of a motley crew of volunteers at a festival in France, all of whom find it a worthwhile experience - some of them so much so that they come back year after year after year. Is it hard? Well, it all depends on what you're expecting. One year, I had two lads competing against each other to see who could do the longest shift. The winner was doing 17.5hrs by the fourth day ... but he's now a team manager in his own right! Had a girl from Sligo come over with absolutely no French, and by the fourth day was chatting away to the natives in their own language. So it's as hard and/or rewarding as you make it.

I've looked at the VSI opportunities for myself, but even though I've got a very good set of "transferable skills" I rarely match what they're looking for ... so I concentrate now on looking after my own volunteers. Mid July, if you're interested in giving it a shot. PM for further details (or search my post history! )

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion