Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Commercial van

Options
  • 28-10-2020 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi there,

So I am looking to get a van. I have looked into getting insurance and have been told I cannot get commercial insurance as I am not a tradesperson (I'm a teacher of a practical subject which I thought would be okay)

Can anyone advise how this may work? Do I have to get private insurance on the van instead of commercial insurance? Is there any other way of me getting commercial insurance?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have a look at this car crash of a thread from earlier today

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058126195

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭listermint

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Have a look at this car crash of a thread from earlier today

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058126195

definite car crash.

What irks me about this whole thing is you have idiots who come on and say ' are you trying to get a van to save a few hundred on tax. when they are obviously to the fact that you have to bring a poxy van into CVRT every year (EVERY YEAR) for the lovely sum of 110Euro.

I think the NCT every other year is far cheaper, coupled with the lower tax rates on new diesel non commercial vehicles. Who is trying to save or pull a fast one on any of that.

People might need a bloody van simply for what they do. It doesnt have to be commercial requirement thats what makes the system in this country messed up, its a joke of a system and the fools who always jump to 'pulling a fast one' or thinking someone wants to drive a '1.9 litre' lumbering van to speed up their life is equally as laughable.

No ones saving money. These are vans not crewcab 4x4s. have a bit of sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

listermint wrote: »
    definite car crash.

What irks me about this whole thing is you have idiots who come on and say ' are you trying to get a van to save a few hundred on tax. when they are obviously to the fact that you have to bring a poxy van into CVRT every year (EVERY YEAR) for the lovely sum of 110Euro.

I don't get it, ask a question and you'll be accused of all sorts, the majority of us aren't 'around' the system much so look for some guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

Thanks lads, having a read of that thread now and I can understand the car crash element to it!!

My reasoning for the van is to try and somehow convert it to a bit of a camper for myself. (Not sure if this is seen as moral or immoral!!)

There is a separate tax category for campervans and it’s even cheaper.
    Insurance is cheap too.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think it needs to be converted to a camper for that to apply however. I would be hoping to go that route once I have all the work on it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/25622658

Above is prob too new and expensive but an electric mpv is the way to go in future . Take out the seats and put them back in for NCT. 120 euro tax.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

The state of that yoke!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

The state of that yoke!

Us taxi drivers may disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

vandriver wrote: »

What would even be better for a taxi would be the new Nissan serena e-power. Electric with a petrol generator ( commonly know as a Rex /range extender ) If I needed a ‘van‘ I would be looking at importing one of them.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement

80sDiesel wrote: »
    What would even be better for a taxi would be the new Nissan serena e-power. Electric with a petrol generator ( commonly know as a Rex /range extender ) If I needed a ‘van‘ I would be looking at importing one of them.
    The new london taxis use that technology,£60 k though.

If you take New York as an example, they basically had no other option for 7 years but to buy them.

I’m taking ‘us’ as US. Probably incorrectly.

If you take New York as an example, they basically had no other option for 7 years but to buy them.

I’m taking ‘us’ as US. Probably incorrectly.
    Us as in me and the other lads!
    However the writing is on the wall.Theres over 10,000 of us doing huge mileage in the city centre,belching out various diesel fumes.It can't last.

Us as in me and the other lads!
    However the writing is on the wall.Theres over 10,000 of us doing huge mileage in the city centre,belching out various diesel fumes.It can't last.

How much mileage would you do in an average day? Would the range limit out you off? I’ve heard they’re not that comfortable either.

How much mileage would you do in an average day? Would the range limit out you off? I’ve heard they’re not that comfortable either.

Pre-covid about 180 km a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Pre-covid about 180 km a day.

Kia e-niro ( also not cheap )

None of which helps the O.P.

Aren't there some insurance companies out there that will insure vans privately ?
    How big a van do you want to go ? Something vw,caddy size , or more transporter / transit ?
    Or bigger again .. could you get a crew cab ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Yeah I think it needs to be converted to a camper for that to apply however. I would be hoping to go that route once I have all the work on it done.

Chat to dolman or richardson insurance about buying a current commercial van with the potential of conversion to mainframe camper/RV.

If a teacher, Woodward/construction, then axa would cover small van upto 0.5tonne to carry light tools to school-college and cover as S,D&P but if you looking for camper size van then best go direct to camper insurers 1st.

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Chat to dolman or richardson insurance about buying a current commercial van with the potential of conversion to mainframe camper/RV.

If a teacher, Woodward/construction, then axa would cover small van upto 0.5tonne to carry light tools to school-college and cover as S,D&P but if you looking for camper size van then best go direct to camper insurers 1st.

Yeah it would be a larger van so not sure if axa would do it.

Will take a look into your other suggestions, thank you.

Just to update this, I was able to get a someway reasonable quote with insuremyvan.ie. Would have been a lot cheaper if I had a no claims bonus but anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

lads, if you want to operate a man with a van , where would you get insurance for that?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

Just to update this, I was able to get a someway reasonable quote with insuremyvan.ie. Would have been a lot cheaper if I had a no claims bonus but anyway.

Hi. I did the same with them a few years ago and found them by far the most reasonable. I was similar to you (I think) in that I was still keeping my normal private car as well so it meant having to start a completely new NCB for the 2nd policy. But luckily enough, as well as having my own policy, I was specifically named on my wife's policy too and they saw this as being separate and allowed me to use that essentially as named driver experience. I can't remember the exact numbers but I think it almost halved the number at the time.

So, if by any chance you're a named driver anywhere apart from your own car, it might be worth mentioning.

Advertisement