Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus service - main dealer

Options
  • 26-10-2020 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Looking to get my 152 Focus (182ps 1.5 petrol) serviced. Sitting at 54k KM at the moment.

Has a full main dealer history, I only have it since January but it was due a 12 month service last month.

The Joe Duffy Ford website has the following Ford essential service:

Ford Essential Service provides high-quality essential checks and maintenance from our Ford-trained technicians, as an alternative servicing option outside the Ford Scheduled Service portfolio, including:
    Ford Video Check
    Oil & filter change
    Air or pollen filter change

Coming in at 159, with an extra 20 euro off on the website. From the service history, I can see that the plugs (presumably spark?) were done in the last service.

Will the above suffice? I do know I need brake pads on the rear, but looks like they'll be mad money in main dealer so might try get them done elsewhere or off a local.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Go to a good indy.

Car is out of warranty, no need to be bringing to a main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Go to a good indy.

Car is out of warranty, no need to be bringing to a main dealer.

To be fair, €139 won’t get you far even with an Indy. No real advantage though beyond the service stamp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

IMO keep it at the main dealer for a service when the price difference is this low and its a relatively new car - it will translate in to an easier sale if you are selling it in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

colm_mcm wrote: »
    To be fair, €139 won’t get you far even with an Indy. No real advantage though beyond the service stamp

Exactly what I was thinking. With my older car (09 fiesta) I brought that to Atlas in Finglas for work on it, but looking back I think they had a huge window to see me coming.... But even a service with them is 175.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Just make sure whats quoted gets changed and not just oil and filter as sometimes what one thinks is a full service is not.We have had cars booked in for oil and filter change only and they want to know how this and that is also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Exactly what I was thinking. With my older car (09 fiesta) I brought that to Atlas in Finglas for work on it, but looking back I think they had a huge window to see me coming.... But even a service with them is 175.

That would be for a full service though

khaldrogo wrote: »
    That would be for a full service though

Isint the above not the same/similar, apart from spark plugs not being replaced? I assume they would still check other fluid levels and that would fall under the "video check" ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

That's a rare engine here.

If the main dealer does whatever is needed at that price why not?

That's a rare engine here.

If the main dealer does whatever is needed at that price why not?

I only realised how rare after I bought it. Irish car too which I was delighted with when I got it!

Yeh absolutely , I think I'll go for it and see what happens. As I said I know I need rear pads, but other than that, new oil, filter and air filter as well as the usual checks should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

colm_mcm wrote: »

Appreciate that but they can and will charge more for extra work, some even just do it and others will pay it.

I was more so stating at this point just go indy for it all, it will be less time consuming too as having to go to 2 different places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Speed_Alive

I got that service done too at a Ford main dealer recently for my Mondeo.

I was thinking maybe someone local but to be fair the main dealer experience was great. Decent price and they did a proper service and were very transparent with what oil & filter etc they were using. Also comes with a printed out multi point health check and a video of the mechanic checking over your pads/discs/tyres etc. They give it a quick car wash too at the end.

Worth it for the price to be fair, not going to get much cheaper anywhere local.
    Maybe pads/discs change yeah you will get cheaper elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Also you can avail of Fords breakdown service if you service the car as per service interval. Handy if you don’t have it in your insurance and can cancel AA costs if you’re a member. Can be used in Europe also, not that you need it at present.

@Speed_Alive - did you book this service online? I had a nightmare trying to book, its kind of turned me off them tbh, but I eventually got booked in for Tuesday.

I booked in online for Monday morning, it got cancelled the next day. I rang and asked why (even tho email said someone would contact me) and they said there was no availability, so I asked when was the next available and that I'd book online. I was told Thursday, so I proceeded to book online again, which it was then cancelled again. I booked online for Wednesday, once again it was cancelled.

I gave them a ring and wanted to find out what the story was, they proceeded to book me in for thursday with a courtesy car which was free when booking online which would be handy, as I sometimes need to pop to the office throughout the day.

On the phone they wanted 25 for insurance costs apparently, so I left it, which they could then book me in for the Tuesday. Not much point having online booking, if they cancel practically every appointment you make.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

139 for a service from a main dealer is an absolute steal. Sounds mad but it’s probably a loss leader. Aim to try and up sell other bits.

Fred in the shed will change your oil for that kinda money and not have a clue what else they’re looking at

Advertisement