Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switzerland

• 24-10-2020 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭

Can I ask all the knowledgeable people here is there any advantage in being in Switzerland in regards to buying a watch?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Someone posted a link to an article about a journalist having to pay tax to get his watches into Switzerland for a day, and then an export fee to get them back out again.

So just watch out for that if you are in Switzerland and do buy a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

From what I've heard the answer is no. Reputedly one of the most expensive countries to buy a luxury Swiss watch is Switzerland.
    Probably to do with local taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Thanks lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Well the flag is a big plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

RMDrive wrote: »
    Well the flag is a big plus.

tenor.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I hear it's the places that don't have a VAT system that has the best deals for buying new - Middle Eastern countries, Hong Kong etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I hear it's the places that don't have a VAT system that has the best deals for buying new - Middle Eastern countries, Hong Kong etc.

The Canary Islands are exempt from VAT but you pay local sales tax of about 7%, so on your next visit to Lanzagrotty you can browse the boutiques and pick up an Omega or a Tudor. Technically you should declare it at customs if you paid more than €440, which I'm sure everyone here would do. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The Canary Islands are exempt from VAT but you pay local sales tax of about 7%, so on your next visit to Lanzagrotty you can browse the boutiques and pick up an Omega or a Tudor. Technically you should declare it at customs if you paid more than €440, which I'm sure everyone here would do. :rolleyes:

Interestingly, if you live in the Canaries and have residencia and NIF sorted.
    You can claim back your VAT on purchases made whilst visiting Ireland.

It's a while since I lived there and long before I ever had any interest in watches, but my business partner over there made quite a few high value purchases from Keane's back in the early noughties and got a lot of VAT back.

I claimed a lot of VAT back myself then too ;) but none on watches or jewellery as I was only a wee pup at the time.

I think when I lived there, the IGIC rate was only 5% and it gave a nice competitive edge on alcohol, jewellery and luxuries to local retailers.
    It went up to 7% a while back but still gives a nice bit of advantage to the Canaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭flanzer

Does this €440 rule work for online watch purchases too, from outside the EU? For example, if I bought a watch from Gnomon Watches in Singapore, valued at €430, would I have to pay any taxes on arrival?

There are different rules between importing via post and carrying on person through a port. So buying even a 35 euro watch from outside the EU currently the law provides that you should be paying VAT on import is it is being sent to you.

An Post/Revenue are saying that they will be abolishing the Eur27 VAT exemption in the future too - so that even a Eur10 springbar remover from China will get 2.30 euro VAT imposed on the item...along with a 10 euro collection fee too. I believe it's part of trying to encourage people not to purchase 5-10 euro small items from China etc.

Of course the Chinese suppliers have already set up warehouses within the EU so net effect is that we should get smaller items from Chinese sellers a bit quicker in the future (prices may have a rise a little for that warehousing cost in Poland though)...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Best time I found to go to the Canaries is during Ramadan, shop in the evening after dinner before dark. Very easy to haggle then.;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

From my experience of working in Geneva, whatever value you might (might!!!) get from buying there, you'll lose on food, drink and accommodation. It's ferociously expensive.

OldBean wrote: »
    From my experience of working in Geneva, whatever value you might (might!!!) get from buying there, you'll lose on food, drink and accommodation. It's ferociously expensive.

I heard busking in Geneva pays well :P

UN internships are unpaid too so you get interns sleeping in tents while working there:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33893384

Advertisement