Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5Km Radius Cycle routes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭mvt

Went up Cruagh to view point and down by the hellfire on Wednesday at about 2. 5 cars passed me from Lidl on the old court road to the view point and saw three pedestrians am walking into Masseys it was great not to have cars. Leaves and rain made it a bit sloppy mind you.

Am lucky to have the Phoenix park with in my loop & it is also looking fabulous atm with the colours.
    On a slight aside am a terrible desender in general but the sight of masses of wet leaves scare the bejasus out of me:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

mvt wrote: »
    Am lucky to have the Phoenix park with in my loop & it is also looking fabulous atm with the colours.
    On a slight aside am a terrible desender in general but the sight of masses of wet leaves scare the bejasus out of me:o

Once the majority of leaves have fallen up until they regrow is when I’m happiest descending because you can see what’s coming better. Sunny summer weather is great for the road surface but can’t tell if a car is coming or anything when the overgrown trees and hedges block the view

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭dahat

55km around mostly backroads with muck, leaves & farm ****e on the bike now. Lovely spin all the same and once the mess clears up it will be a nice quiet spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Phoenix park, strawberry beds and Lucan in my 5k. Can link up for some nice loops. Phoenix park is also a great place with the mountain bike. Plenty of trails, hills and rooty bits to keep me ticking over until I can get back to the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭cletus

So, I went out this morning to start covering all available roads to me. The map below is part 1 of the lockdown madness. Roads in blue have been covered, roads in red are yet to be done.

Some of them are behind gates and not accessible, and, looking at the map, I think I got a few that aren't actually registering. Either way, progress has been made

530433.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

You've got an easier job than me! *

*Not centred on my actual house

:D:D

Flip side of that, you have a wider variety of roads than me.

My picture above is not the actual 5km radius, just what I covered this morning. I'll grab a 5km screenshot shortly

Here we go...

530452.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

A nice bit of bog- snorkelling for you!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I don't fancy going through some of the estates and rat runs near me. Some are perfectly safe compared to what they used to be, but it's not something I'll be trying

I have about 50% of the park in my 5km. 1 very short climb and the airport for all out spring efforts so I'm okay. Smart trainer and old bike will do for now though

• Advertisement

Something else tht might be of use, if you register on wandrer.earth, you can download map sections, and when you go to the map field while cycling, it will show all previously uncycled roads, without having to create routes for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyKq

cletus wrote: »
    Something else tht might be of use, if you register on wandrer.earth, you can download map sections, and when you go to the map field while cycling, it will show all previously uncycled roads, without having to create routes for them

Thank you thats really useful. Im concerned my default route brings me just outside the 5Km limit. This wander.earth is just what I need

So, in my continuing quest to collect all roads, tracks, and trails, I ended up crossing two fields, which turned into hike-a-biking...

530768.jpg

...and ended here. This is definitely neither a track nor a trail

530769.jpg

This morning was also the perfect opportunity to try out my new Altura Pocket Rocket jacket. Worked a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fugs!!

I did a lovely 75km within my 5km yesterday. Very enjoyable and a lovely day if a bit windy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that looks like a post crash photo. 'and i went over the handlebars and face planted the tree'

that looks like a post crash photo. 'and i went over the handlebars and face planted the tree'

:D:D:D

The annoying thing is that there was a right of way there, and its just been allowed to grow over. I might go to the other end of it and see how far I can get

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

So, in my continuing quest to collect all roads, tracks, and trails, I ended up crossing two fields, which turned into hike-a-biking...

530768.jpg

...and ended here. This is definitely neither a track nor a trail

530769.jpg

This morning was also the perfect opportunity to try out my new Altura Pocket Rocket jacket. Worked a treat

I often walked that lane out from the town when I was a young lad (not today or yesterday), my cousins live down the end of it, I think it went out of use when Woodview was built.

nilhg wrote: »
    I often walked that lane out from the town when I was a young lad (not today or yesterday), my cousins live down the end of it, I think it went out of use when Woodview was built.

It was still walkable, at least between Woodview and Yellow Lough and out into the field, untill a year or two ago. I used to bring my kids out that way to pick blackberries and fly kites

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

It was still walkable, at least between Woodview and Yellow Lough and out into the field, untill a year or two ago. I used to bring my kids out that way to pick blackberries and fly kites

I think it would have been a public right of way, I'm surprised it was let overgrow but I suppose nobody walks anywhere any more.

With a short extension it could be a nice walkway out to Kilanthomas woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

nilhg wrote: »
    I think it would have been a public right of way, I'm surprised it was let overgrow but I suppose nobody walks anywhere any more.

With a short extension it could be a nice walkway out to Kilanthomas woods.

These kind of lanes are the forgotten victims of what happens when young kids no longer want to get drunk or smoke fags in secret

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

One advantage of going around in circles within your 5km radius is having your own house as the tea stop.

....plenty of indoor seating, no masks required, no need for cash/card and free refills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

And a resident grumpy female like a certain popular stop south of Dublin?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

One advantage of going around in circles within your 5km radius is having your own house as the tea stop.

....plenty of indoor seating, no masks required, no need for cash/card and free refills.

100%, the standard of coffee in a lot of the places is very ordinary but if you have some half decent coffee of your own win win. That said, my grinder has given up the ghost.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭alentejo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,742 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

alentejo wrote: »

I'm not reading the comments on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

loyatemu wrote: »
    I'm not reading the comments on that!

This is my favourite
    "Ridiculous my partner relies on this shortcut getting to and from the train station on his weekly journey from Ashbourne to Portlaoise to see his kids. One of lifes little pleasures denied again! I suppose he should start cycling…"

Fabulous excuse not to see the kids. Surely there is another road to the station

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So, I figured I'd give a shot at cycling every single road inside my 5k radius. This is the first planned route. It's only about 8 miles long, but I figure there's a better than average chance of going insane if I do any more than that in one go

530275.jpg

I live near you. I think you're underestimating 5km

You can go nearly as far as Clonbullogue, Bracknagh and Edenderry from there,

Have a look here
    https://2kmfromhome.com/

Set the distance to 5km and centre it on your house to see where you can go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,742 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

breezy1985 wrote: »
    This is my favourite
    "Ridiculous my partner relies on this shortcut getting to and from the train station on his weekly journey from Ashbourne to Portlaoise to see his kids. One of lifes little pleasures denied again! I suppose he should start cycling…"

Fabulous excuse not to see the kids. Surely there is another road to the station

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Here we go...

530452.jpg

You have that set to 2km. Change the setting to 5km at the top of the screen

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    You have that set to 2km. Change the setting to 5km at the top of the screen

I'm pretty sure that's at 5km. You'll only get about half way to Edenderry inside a 5km radius

531145.jpg

Advertisement