Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lean-to roof: solid polycarbonate

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭TimHorton

rje66 wrote: »
    This is something I did recently. Works for me. BTW its glass.

What brand/colour is the paint , Looks really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭rje66

TimHorton wrote: »
    What brand/colour is the paint , Looks really well.

Johnstones, think colour is ghostwriter. I can check .

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shazaaaaam

DIY KING wrote: »
    So think I have flue sorted so need to get going on finishing roof. Managed to source 2 large sheets of 6mm clear polycarbonate so going with that. I have single sided glazing tape to use at perimeter to give a good seal. Do I need to place anything between the poly and top of Intermediate timber rafters ?

Hey DIYKING! First off - fantastic work on the Lean-to.

I'm planning something similar myself at the moment and would love to see how you got sorted with the flue so that I can see if it would make it feasible for me to continue with my existing plans and also to explain it to an RGI engineer when the time comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Project nearly finished. Will post a few pics when complete. See attached diverted flue which goes up through roof. Check the boiler manual. It should specify max flue length and number of bends. Check TGD Part J diagram 16 for seperation distances to windows, doors, vents etc.
    I have fitted CO sensors also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shazaaaaam

Thanks for the quick reply and the photo - that looks perfect for what I need too.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 patrickowens1

Hello,

Reading with interest.... Did you get this project finished and could you post some pics please? Did you go with the solid poly in the end? Cost? Supplier? Anyone else with pics to post or advice?

I also thought the corrugated or twinwall doesn't look as nice and would prefer solid (although I'm reconsidering due to cost!). Similar to your response above I'm also finding equivalent toughened glass a lot more expensive (even in 4mm, which is structurally enough for my 666mm rafter spacings). Would be approx 1200 ex vat from online quotes! Although could probably save a bit by ringing around.

I'm currently building a 4mx4m lean-to pergola at the back patio door, out of PAO larch. Was intending to cover with 6mm clear polycarbonate and was quoted as follows - 6mm sheets 4000mm x 2050mm @ €367.45 per sheet ex vat (Access Plastics). So only one joint running longitudinally down a 10% fall. I couldn't get 4m lengths anywhere else in Ireland.

I've just sent off some requests from UK suppliers mentioned above for 6mm clear poly and also to "Rockwell meridian" who were mentioned on another thread.

Anyway, would appreciate any pics and feedback. Thanks a mill.

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Rover365

I got 6mm solid polyguard from roofingmegastore in the uk (prebrexit) although only went with them as they do 6m lengths. Product was clear amber. Got the glazing bars etc all in the one order. Id say it will be cheaper to buy in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭ratracer

That looks lovely, and I hope to do something similar in the spring. Did you lose much/ any noticeable light coming into the room in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Rover365

Thanks, no i was worried that it would make the room it is outside darker but it hasnt. Its a dining room on the north side of the house so darker than other rooms anyway but the pergola hasnt made any difference.

I did use steel beams (with cladding) for the main structure to allow longer spans and greater spacing reducing the amount of columns and rafters which im sure has helped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Hope these photos help. 6mm solid clear uv coated both sides (4050 x 2050) from Plastic Solutions Dublin - nice lads and very helpful. Bit of a makey-uppy overhang detail at joint of 2 sheets but worked out fine. Basically one sheet 19mm above the other - gap created by 2 x 1 treated battens on top of rafters.

Might have said already but do not underestimate the challenge in getting the big size sheets up into place.

Advertisement