Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I destroyed my dehumidifier?

Options
  • 07-10-2020 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

Had painters in for a week. Ran the dehumidifier for the time they were here. Now there is a chemical smell from it that would kill a horse, too strong to switch on. Filter is clean. Have I wrecked it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

It's probably condensed the solvents or other chemicals that have evaporated from the wet paint and it's concentrated up in the machine.

If you could put the machine on a porch or in a garage or something, with the door open, and run it on a humid day e.g. a drizzly day and let it run for a long time, it may clear it out by condensing lots of water through it.

The smell you're getting will be coming from the evaporator coils, not the filters as that's where the chemicals will have been deposited.

Just bear in mind those chemicals are not necessarily very good for you, so make sure the machine is well clear of them before using it in any enclosed spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Thanks. Was thinking along those lines myself. Brought it out to the garage and ran it for an hour but then got to worrying that I might be damaging it further by continuing to run it.

Will give it a longer run this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

I doubt you'd do it any damage running it, it is likely going to help it flush out the evaporator surfaces.

It's quite possible you won't get the smell out of it, but it's worth a try. I'd leave it running for 3 or 4 hours with as much humidity as possible i.e. pick a day that's good and damp.

Put a soaked duvet beside it. Should give it a work out. Hopefully the machine can be salvaged.

Overnight in the garage reduced the paint smell, I'd guess around 70% to put some sort of a figure on it. Will leave it running another night.

• Advertisement

No good. Will have to be a new unit. Lesson learned, keep dehumidifier off when painting.

Advertisement