Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drug driving blood test

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

They can do the roadside test and if it fails, if they still believe there's something not right, they can still bring you back to the station for a blood/urine test. The Drager is something that when used, if positive, gives more than enough probable cause to bring you back. Even if it fails, if there is enough evidence for impaired driving, you can still be brought back. The Dragers test for alcohol and a separate one for cannabis (and possibly cocaine? Can't recall). Most other drugs wouldn't have a roadside test, but instead if enough evidence of impaired driving is there the Garda can still make the call that they believe you're under the influence and arrest you for the purposes of the full test. Drager is an instrument to help get to that stage, but it is not always required (albeit should be used if available).

Re: The Garda PM'ing you, not something I would ever have done. Official correspondence or phone calls only. Anything other than that, to me, would be beyond the requirements of duty. If he wants to be friendly, wait until after the case. Never made a friend from someone I ever arrested though, even though I had some friends who would get arrested!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

Why are you contacting the guard in the first place through private message?

He told me i could contact him at any point if i had any questions etc I then noticed he is friends on facebook with a friend of mine so dropped him a message and we have had a few chats since.

At this stage i know how many kids he has and everything lol We're like best pals haha

Jokin aside. I am taken back about how friendly and open he is with me. He has shared some info regarding his private life which is strange. I genuienly just think he is a really nice guy that sympathises with me

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭phildub

baalad wrote: »
    He told me i could contact him at any point if i had any questions etc I then noticed he is friends on facebook with a friend of mine so dropped him a message and we have had a few chats since.

At this stage i know how many kids he has and everything lol We're like best pals haha

Jokin aside. I am taken back about how friendly and open he is with me. He has shared some info regarding his private life which is strange. I genuienly just think he is a really nice guy that sympathises with me

The Garda is not your friend I would be cautious about messaging him, anything you have said to him can be brought up in court as he has proof. Also he lied when he said the case would be adjourned, if he did not show up your solicitor could request a strike out, the judge might give him another chance and adjourn it but if he failed to show up the next time it would be stuck out, so if he really wanted to help you he would and he knows this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

phildub wrote: »
    ...so if he really wanted to help you he would and he knows this

And open himself up to being reprimanded in the process? Maybe it was a more done thing in the past, but nowadays if you don't turn up for court you'd better have a great excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭phildub

And open himself up to being reprimanded in the process? Maybe it was a more done thing in the past, but nowadays if you don't turn up for court you'd better have a great excuse.

I've seen it happen plenty of times, I was just saying if he really did want to help him he could, he clearly doesn't want to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

Of course he does not want to really help me.

I think he just got to know me a little bit since the arrest and he believes that i am a decent person as oppose to taken the view that iam this little reckless drug driver thats always in trouble etc

And for that reason he is showing a little sympathy!

Advertisement