Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oven element on while grilling?

Options
  • 30-10-2020 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Odd one, I recently replaced the oven element as the old one had given up, on removal could see it was heavily warped etc. It was 10 years old.

Replacement was very straightforward but now I’ve noticed that while grilling at full temp the new element around the fan oven is on full whack too. This can’t be right can it?? I know little about Eletrical wiring but this can’t be energy efficient, have I made a balls of something unknowingly?

Any intelligent input appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

Prob just the design of the unit. I doubt you affected the operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭con747

minotour wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Odd one, I recently replaced the oven element as the old one had given up, on removal could see it was heavily warped etc. It was 10 years old.

Replacement was very straightforward but now I’ve noticed that while grilling at full temp the new element around the fan oven is on full whack too. This can’t be right can it?? I know little about Eletrical wiring but this can’t be energy efficient, have I made a balls of something unknowingly?

Any intelligent input appreciated.

You mean you had two separate elements with two separate controls and the new element is turning both on now? That is not right, you must have connected something wrong.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

con747 wrote: »
    You mean you had two separate elements with two separate controls and the new element is turning both on now? That is not right, you must have connected something wrong.

Yeah that’s the long and short of it alright, will take it out and go again, I have pics of the original element wiring at least

Cheers

Yeah that’s the long and short of it alright, will take it out and go again, I have pics of the original element wiring at least

Cheers

Was it just a 2 wire connection

I thought i saw something similar on a oven where the lot came on with the grill

Most of them are 13amp models I think so they should have changeover?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭con747

Cheers

Someone here with better knowledge on them should be able help you out. :)

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

JimToken wrote: »
    Was it just a 2 wire connection

I thought i saw something similar on a oven where the lot came on with the grill

Most of them are 13amp models I think so they should have changeover?

Thanks, yeah standard 2 pin connection, simply swapped out the element, not much to it. Can’t say for certain it didn’t always turn on both and maybe we just noticed now as it’s a new element? Note the fan doesn’t come on with the grill, just both elements

Thanks, yeah standard 2 pin connection, simply swapped out the element, not much to it. Can’t say for certain it didn’t always turn on both and maybe we just noticed now as it’s a new element? Note the fan doesn’t come on with the grill, just both elements

Thought I saw something similar

You'd be a genius to mess up a 2 wire swop

Advertisement