Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal PIR for lighting

Options
  • 30-10-2020 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Hi - looking for a bit of advice on internal PIR detectors.

Currently have a utility room that leads to a bathroom I wanted a pir in the utility and another in the bathroom to automatically turn on the lights.
    Only problem is the bathroom would definitely need an override switch as someone in the bath doesn't want to be waving their arms about every 3 mins!

My electrician wasn't too sure on if and how this was possible (he also thinks im mad looking for these! but thats a different story).

In theroy I would like the existing light switch to function as an over ride and when turned to 'off' the pir takes over.

The blow spec mentions 'Manual over ride with automatic reset after 8 hours' Is this what im looking for?
    Or can anyone recommend a spec that would achieve the above?

https://www.eurosales.ie/products/id-23823.html?name=pir&type=simple&page=5

Appreciate any info!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

I would just use key switches and pirs in the walkways etc

I would skip the bathroom for the reason you mentioned, not sure does condensation affect their operation too.

What I did in my own place was added battery pirs for bathrooms

They do for short toilet use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Do you need the bathroom light to turn off when you turn off the switch? If not you can just put a switch in parallel to the PIR and it will stay on.
    If you want the switch in full control you can get what you have there or use a contactor.

alan4cult wrote: »
    Do you need the bathroom light to turn off when you turn off the switch? If not you can just put a switch in parallel to the PIR and it will stay on.
    If you want the switch in full control you can get what you have there or use a contactor.

I guess the problem would be that they wouldn't bother changing from auto

Then you have the hazard of the light going off

Could be wrong ,maybe there's a solution

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have a PIR in my main bathroom and en suite. Works very well.
    I went for the Philips Hue one, no restrictions on where it can be mounted.
    Simple quick install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

JimToken wrote: »
    I guess the problem would be that they wouldn't bother changing from auto

Then you have the hazard of the light going off

Could be wrong ,maybe there's a solution
    There is no auto, the light is either always on or PIR controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you wanted you could wire a timer switch in parallel with the PIR. Once you press it light stays on for 60 minutes (or whatever).

I call the pir-auto and the lightswitch- manual there

A bathroom is a hazardous location, all it takes is 1 unexpected outage and an accident

If you have a manual override of the pir what's gonna happen, the householders will ignore it a lot of the time

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A bathroom PIR might be alright but it's going to be staying on a lot longer than you need for toilet use for a start

If you have under 5 watts if lighting that automatically switches off does it really matter?
    A bathroom is a hazardous location, all it takes is 1 unexpected outage and an accident

Outages are few and far between but in my case what done actually makes it safer. The reason is that following an outage all lights come on by default.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    If you have under 5 watts if lighting that automatically switches off does it really matter?

Outages are few and far between but in my case what done actually makes it safer. The reason is that following an outage all lights come on by default.

Pirs are safer , I have them all over my place except bathrooms

Pirs are safer , I have them all over my place except bathrooms

They are OK if you can be guaranteed they won't go off while you're in the bathroom

They are OK if you can be guaranteed they won't go off while you're in the bathroom

Nothing worse than falling asleep on the pot and waking in darkness.........

Advertisement