Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint Sprayer

Options
  • 29-10-2020 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for recommendations for a paint sprayer. I'm looking to prime and paint some skirting and architrave before fitting. Some of the sprayers I see online mention fences and decking, would these be suitable for more precise spraying? This will be for my own domestic use so I don't need something over-engineered and expensive, but I don't want something cheap and ineffective either.

All advice welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

https://www.sprayman.co.uk/product/graco-gx21ff. Also, go on a course so you dont end up in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Technique

£795+vat!!

Might invest in a good paint brush instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've done fences, wardrobe doors, kids cot and skirting with a £40 sprayer from Aldi. Will be doing bedroom doors next. I did the fences first to get a feel for it and build confidence, its bloody simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭CaptainCoPilot

I have a good airless sprayer, have to say its excellent.

However, I rarely use it on skirting board, for 2 reasons. I find if you spray before fitting you run the risk of chipping the paint doing cuts and using fixings and have to touch it up once its installed. Also, the fan of a sprayer is generally much wider than a skirting board so you waste a lot of paint.

I also find painting skirting post installation a fairly quick task.

I use the sprayer for doors and larger pieces of furniture because you cant beat the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

However, I rarely use it on skirting board, for 2 reasons. I find if you spray before fitting you run the risk of chipping the paint doing cuts and using fixings and have to touch it up once its installed. Also, the fan of a sprayer is generally much wider than a skirting board so you waste a lot of paint.

I use the sprayer for doors and larger pieces of furniture because you cant beat the finish.

Hey, do you have a link for the sprayer?

I hand painted all the doors upstairs before we moved in. It was a pain in the arse but made easier as we had no carpets down at the time.

Almost 3 years later and I still haven't gotten to the downstairs ones and I'm not doing them by hand again.

• Advertisement

What is the make of the airless? You should be well able to dictate the width of the fan and also the aperture to restrict paint flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

cloneslad wrote: »
    Hey, do you have a link for the sprayer?

I hand painted all the doors upstairs before we moved in. It was a pain in the arse but made easier as we had no carpets down at the time.

Almost 3 years later and I still haven't gotten to the downstairs ones and I'm not doing them by hand again.

You'll wreck the place downstairs if you haven't experience of using a sprayer. And even an experienced sprayer would hardly spray doors in a house your already living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

You'll wreck the place downstairs if you haven't experience of using a sprayer. And even an experienced sprayer would hardly spray doors in a house your already living in.

I wouldn't intend doing them in place or even in the house.

I do all my spraying in residential settings , vast majority of which have the clients living there. If you have the knowledge about the correct products, ability to use those products at low pressure and technique, its possible. But you know, there are many, including a few on this thread that think, if you can piss you can spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Technique

Is there a specific paint that needs to be used in a sprayer? As it's bare timber, I'll also need to use a primer first.

• Advertisement

For airless, no, though depending on the base , ( water , oil, solvent), you will have to use different things to clean the machine with after. If you are going water base, then Tikkurila Akvi ( not Akva) is great on new timber. You will then, after filling, sanding and cleaning, have to use a shellac primer for the tannins. This is a pain to clean the machine after. Then 2 topcoats ( again tikkurila Helmi is a great product and is one of the more forgiving paints for a newbie to spray.. If you want any help just drop me a message. The main thing is to bone up on the safe operation of an airless. The tyres on your car will be 35 - 40 psi. The paint will be coming out at 50 times this.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭CaptainCoPilot

I have the Graco handheld (plug in version). Its a great sprayer, have had no issues with it. It is thirsty for paint but the quality of finish is exceptional. It is expensive though, think I paid around €500 for it over a year ago. Can only spray with water based (suits me). There is a version that sprays solvent base but is more expensive (different motor I believe that is protected from sparking).

You need to change the nozzle to adjust the amount of paint and fan width. I have a limited quantity of them.

I use it mainly for painting furniture etc in a dedicated section of the garage, I don't use it in the house. If I want to paint a door I take it off, remove the hardware and spray it in the garage, then rehang it.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

I've seen some great videos on youtube, etc, of this sprayer being used both on skirtings, walls, etc, and it looks really good https://www.screwfix.ie/p/wagner-control-150m-300w-electric-high-efficiency-airless-paint-sprayer-230v/400GT?gclid=CjwKCAiA-f78BRBbEiwATKRRBIgC5evTWrduNoqwXftp5_JhBvYavj220gxxF_vjbLKyB8hiFAa1wBoCLUMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's supposed to have very little overspray and be easy to load, clean. Was thinking about buying one myself :)

Advertisement