Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a slim magnetic door contact

Options
  • 29-10-2020 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭

Any ideas where I might get a replacement for the broken contact in the attached photo?

I picked up one contact on eBay, but it doesn't fit the gap available. The replacement is 13mm high, and my broken one is about 8mm high.

All the replacements that I can find online seem to be 13mm.

Any idea where I'd find a nice slim one?

531003.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Many electrical/alarm wholesalers will sell you a slimline contact, often pre-wired. so you will have to put a junction away from the door to join to the existing cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Many electrical/alarm wholesalers will sell you a slimline contact, often pre-wired. so you will have to put a junction away from the door to join to the existing cable.

Thanks. I was hoping to just replace the contact and not effect the other side or any of the wiring, given my very low DIY skills.

Is this feasible?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

Thanks. I was hoping to just replace the contact and not effect the other side or any of the wiring, given my very low DIY skills.

Is this feasible?

Here is a link to the suppliers list.

The sensor comes in 2 parts so I'm presuming its the magnet you need replaced if you have no intension on going near the wiring side.
    If wiring side, take a picture before taking apart so you know which wire is going into new contact connections.

altor wrote: »
    Here is a link to the suppliers list.

The sensor comes in 2 parts so I'm presuming its the magnet you need replaced if you have no intension on going near the wiring side.
    If wiring side, take a picture before taking apart so you know which wire is going into new contact connections.

Thanks, the nearest I can find on any of those sites is this one;

https://rspl.ie/shop/hkc-rf-contact-wireless-contact-white-or-brown/

though the magnetic contact is 10mm, which is probably still borderline too high for me.

All suggestions as to where I can find a contact, to avoid having to go near the wiring side, would be very welcome.

Thanks, the nearest I can find on any of those sites is this one;

https://rspl.ie/shop/hkc-rf-contact-wireless-contact-white-or-brown/

though the magnetic contact is 10mm, which is probably still borderline too high for me.

All suggestions as to where I can find a contact, to avoid having to go near the wiring side, would be very welcome.

That is a wire free version of a contact.
    Unless your system can add wire free you would have no other option than to use the wired version.
    That is unless you wanted to add a quick bridge and go down that road.

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    That is a wire free version of a contact.
    Unless your system can add wire free you would have no other option than to use the wired version.
    That is unless you wanted to add a quick bridge and go down that road.

Thanks, definitely don't want to be dealing with bridges- way beyond my capability.

I've broken out the magnet from the replacement unit that was too big and taped it to the door, as a temporary fix.

Any solutions for a more permanent option would be welcome.

Thanks, definitely don't want to be dealing with bridges- way beyond my capability.

I've broken out the magnet from the replacement unit that was too big and taped it to the door, as a temporary fix.

Any solutions for a more permanent option would be welcome.

Any picture?

Here's how it looks now

531349.jpg

Advertisement