Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mushroom fixings keep bending!

• 30-10-2020 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Very frustrated here, I'm dry lining some external walls and in some of the rooms which seem to be 9" cavity the metal mushrooms keep bending when halfway in.
    They are 8 X 140 as it's 50mm board.

Any advice?

I'm using a brand new 8mm sds bit and clearing the hole...

Argh!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'm thinking of just buying some 110s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Triboro

Drilling deep enough?

Yeah, it's a 210 drill bit and is getting into the cavity.

On a hunch I used a vice grips to pinch the last inch of them, haven't had a problem since and they are holding firm.

Useful tip if the same happens to anyone else, removing the bent ones is a royal pain in the ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The way these are manufactured they are not necessarily all going to suit your drillbit, in the main the should but not all. Make sure to clean the drillhole out of dust and debris by moving the drill in and out a few times when done, if you've a hoover near by thats best for clearing the hole.

And simply decent cracks of a decent hammer should do it. Dont half arse it tappy tappy.

listermint wrote: »
    The way these are manufactured they are not necessarily all going to suit your drillbit, in the main the should but not all. Make sure to clean the drillhole out of dust and debris by moving the drill in and out a few times when done, if you've a hoover near by thats best for clearing the hole.

And simply decent cracks of a decent hammer should do it. Dont half arse it tappy tappy.
    Yeah I'm half thinking the problem is that the tip of the drill bit is too narrow, it takes a lot of force to get them in, much more than I've experienced before and they are impossible to get back out, I've had to cut them out with a hacksaw.

I might try another 8mm bit, but it's 300mm so a bit unwieldy to use.

Crimping the ends with a visegrips seems to be working for now anyway and is easier than trimming them all!

A lot of hole patching in my future though, about 10 of the feckers had to be removed and it's not pretty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what brand bit is it . i have a few that create a tighter hole. the ones with the 4 tips seem to work better. .

how did you get on with the plasterboard lift

what brand bit is it . i have a few that create a tighter hole. the ones with the 4 tips seem to work better. .

how did you get on with the plasterboard lift

Yeah my longer one has 4, newer one only has 2.

The lift is a life saver, job would be impossible without it, 50mm pir backed and 9ft ceilings. Can get a full 8x4 board on the ceiling by myself. I think the standalone struts would have been useless, wouldn't fancy going up the ladder with those boards on my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

GreeBo wrote: »
    Yeah my longer one has 4, newer one only has 2.

The lift is a life saver, job would be impossible without it, 50mm pir backed and 9ft ceilings. Can get a full 8x4 board on the ceiling by myself. I think the standalone struts would have been useless, wouldn't fancy going up the ladder with those boards on my head.

just got one myself , not used it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

On another point I only use the plastic ones, I found the metal ones were drawing in dampness ... Clean out the holes well and give them a good accurate crack of the hammer

Advertisement