Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struck off the Roll of Solicitors by President of the High Court

Options
  • 27-10-2020 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

What does that actually mean?

Is this always for negative reasons?

Is this the end of their legal career?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,268 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's not a positive.

Some cases will be for malicious behaviour, others for substandard behaviour, e.g. someone is ill and aren't doing their work expeditiously.

There is a procedure that can be used where the solicitor has to been supervised by another solicitor for a period of years. I'm not sure if that can be used when they have already been struck o.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

One Particular example I know of was a guy Struck off and then almost 30 years later the same lad appears in the Gazette after being found guilty of misconduct. Not a good look ...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

a court report on a recent strikeoff that may be interesting. https://www.irishlegal.com/article/high-court-solicitor-struck-off-for-dishonesty
    what is particularly interesting to me is that they were initially struck off in 2010 but did not appeal until 2019. Unfortunately no explanation is given for the delay.

Advertisement