Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career change

Options
  • 24-10-2019 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am currently a maths teacher in my second year teaching. I love maths but don't necessarily like teaching. I think if I want to get out of it now is the time.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience?

What career options is there for me? I have an A1 in leaving cert maths and a first class honours in my degree (PE and maths teaching)

I was thinking actuary but have had people tell me the job itself is very boring and not a lot of maths is used when qualified.

Any suggestions/advise/past experience would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I'm also interested in this, albeit from a slightly different perspective - that of a maths teacher (honours masters degree in maths education - so degree level maths) with 15 years teaching experience, just feeling like I could use a change and wondering what my options are.

I'm guessing the financial side is less of a concern for the OP, in the short term, than it would be for me. I can't imagine it would be realistic for me to get a non-teaching job on anything close to my teaching salary, but I'd like to know what my prospects are, so anyone with experiences people would like to share would be appreciated.

Not trying to hijack the thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Why not do a MSc Quantitative Finance and move into the banking/finance industry?
    Actuary?
    Accountancy?
    Data Analytics?
    Engineering?

With all respect to teaching (fantastic vocation) a person with a 1H in Maths could expect to earn a lot more than a teacher could.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sean_brenn

Why not do a MSc Quantitative Finance and move into the banking/finance industry?
    Actuary?
    Accountancy?
    Data Analytics?
    Engineering?

With all respect to teaching (fantastic vocation) a person with a 1H in Maths could expect to earn a lot more than a teacher could.

Thank you, I am strongly considering some of the routes you mentioned (especially finance and actuary). I guess I really have to make sure which ever I choose from here I better enjoy (the money helps), so better keep researching!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭poster2525

Check out Springboard courses https://springboardcourses.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BBB25

Hi there, just wondering did you move career in the end? I’m also a maths teacher for 3 years. Trying to get out. Thinking management but don’t know who would take me on. Would love to hear what you’re doing now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement