Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suburban Hedgehog

Options
  • 24-10-2020 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭

Tonight is our second encounter with what I presume is the same hedgehog in a couple of weeks. Our suburban Lucan garden is walled on three sides but the side gate would have ample room for wildlife to enter/exit under.

The family dog takes a noisy but harmless interest in Spikey when he appears, pawing the ground around him and barking, but no more. When he is left alone H2 shuffles off behind the shed.

I don't know if this guy is living in our garden or just visiting. Or indeed if it is just one hedgehog.

My question is, should I let him find his own way in life, or should I transplant him to the local park, which has grass, hedges, a stream, the next time he appears.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Theres a knock a block campaign to pop a little hole in your wall so the likes of this fella has access to more gardens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he or she may be planning on hibernating behind the shed. if you're happy that's a safe place for them, i'd leave well alone and just leave some food out to help them bulk up for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

What type of food?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any sort of dry cat or dog food, preferably with no fish in it. and water too. milk should be avoided.

Advertisement