Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

road tax ???

Options
  • 25-10-2020 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

hi all i am thinking of buying a van that is not a registered as a camper yet
    does any one know the road tax rate for a private van

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is no "road tax".
    What we have is motor tax and the rates can be found on motortax.ie...
    https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/omt.do

If there was road tax we could expect the Councils to fix them. Or hold them accountable for damages incurred due to their state of disrepair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

But to answer the question, tax rates are based on the old system of engine size for commercial vehicles privately.

Under the falsely held I-couldn't-be-bottomed-doing-any-research premise that engine size is directly proportional to emissions and that petrol and diesel are parity toxicity.

The truth is probably closer to; pay more if you can afford more. Like increasing the price of cigarettes "for the children".

I'm all about power to weight me. My beater daily can leave cars 20x the market value behind like no man's business.

Advertisement