Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
16-01-2021, 10:14   #1
batsi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18
CVRT Tests

Hello, I wonder can I get some advice please?
I got my 2003 Hymer B564 A class, tested yesterday as a Light Commercial Vehicle, 3500KG on Registration Certificate, on all previous CVRTs, on Hymers VIN plate and the Tax is E102. It was imported in 2007 and was classed as under 3500 KG by Revenue.
It passed the CVRT and I got the Pass Statement, when I went home I noticed they had classed it as 3900Kg. I rang the test centre and they said they had got that weight from the ALCO Vin plate and their supposed to read the highest weight marked on any Vin plate. The Camper weighs 2800KG and the Hymer Vin Plate shows. 3500KG, 5500KG for towing, Axel 1: 1850KG, Axel 2: 2120KG.
I am have had Campers since late 80s and I have always used this CVRT centre since the tests were required. I don't have a C license and I purchased this Camper in August 2020, after I checked everything.
Any ideas please. Thank you.
batsi is offline  
Advertisement
16-01-2021, 14:42   #2
niloc1951
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by batsi View Post
Hello, I wonder can I get some advice please?
I got my 2003 Hymer B564 A class, tested yesterday as a Light Commercial Vehicle, 3500KG on Registration Certificate, on all previous CVRTs, on Hymers VIN plate and the Tax is E102. It was imported in 2007 and was classed as under 3500 KG by Revenue.
It passed the CVRT and I got the Pass Statement, when I went home I noticed they had classed it as 3900Kg. I rang the test centre and they said they had got that weight from the ALCO Vin plate and their supposed to read the highest weight marked on any Vin plate. The Camper weighs 2800KG and the Hymer Vin Plate shows. 3500KG, 5500KG for towing, Axel 1: 1850KG, Axel 2: 2120KG.
I am have had Campers since late 80s and I have always used this CVRT centre since the tests were required. I don't have a C license and I purchased this Camper in August 2020, after I checked everything.
Any ideas please. Thank you.
The CVRT is wrong.
Motorhomes go through at least three stages of build,
First, the base vehicle, FIAT in your case if it has an ALKO chassis
Second the modification by ALKO when the chassis is fitted
Third (usually last) the body builder, in your case Hymer who generate the vehicles Certificate of Conformity CLICK TO SEE EXPLANATION and sell the vehicle to the market.
It is the final plate, the most recently issued, which is the correct plate, in your case the Hymer plate.

The weight showing at F.1 on the registration cert should be what was recorded when the vehicle was being VRT's but unfortunately the clerk doing the data input may have put in a ZERO or bunch of 5's. It's a mandatory field but often populated with any old number.

If you have the CoC the GVW will be shown on it at line 14.1 as 3,500kg and that can't be argued with, it's basically the vehicle's birth cert.

PS.just noticed you say it's 3,500kg on the registration cert, that's a legal government document about the vehicle, do dont wory about the licence issue. But do follow up on the CVRT mistake.

Last edited by niloc1951; 16-01-2021 at 14:54.
niloc1951 is offline  
16-01-2021, 17:51   #3
batsi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by niloc1951 View Post
The CVRT is wrong.
Motorhomes go through at least three stages of build,
First, the base vehicle, FIAT in your case if it has an ALKO chassis
Second the modification by ALKO when the chassis is fitted
Third (usually last) the body builder, in your case Hymer who generate the vehicles Certificate of Conformity CLICK TO SEE EXPLANATION and sell the vehicle to the market.
It is the final plate, the most recently issued, which is the correct plate, in your case the Hymer plate.

The weight showing at F.1 on the registration cert should be what was recorded when the vehicle was being VRT's but unfortunately the clerk doing the data input may have put in a ZERO or bunch of 5's. It's a mandatory field but often populated with any old number.

If you have the CoC the GVW will be shown on it at line 14.1 as 3,500kg and that can't be argued with, it's basically the vehicle's birth cert.

PS.just noticed you say it's 3,500kg on the registration cert, that's a legal government document about the vehicle, do dont wory about the licence issue. But do follow up on the CVRT mistake.

Thank you for your reply, I think the tester just took the ALKO VIN as the latest one but they won't change it. I have the three VINS as well. Fiat, ALCO and Hymer.
Cheer's, John.
batsi is offline  
17-01-2021, 16:51   #4
niloc1951
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by batsi View Post
Thank you for your reply, I think the tester just took the ALKO VIN as the latest one but they won't change it. I have the three VINS as well. Fiat, ALCO and Hymer.
Cheer's, John.
The ALKO VIN can't be the last one as Alko did not build the vehicle, Hymer did. Your Certificate of Registration confirms that.
I would forget about the tester, he/she obviously doesn't know their stuff regarding motor caravans, take the issue up with the RSA directly at

Vehicle Testing and Enforcement
Road Safety Authority
Clonfert House
Bride Street
Loughrea
Co Galway

Tel: 091 872600
Email: vt@rsa.ie
niloc1951 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
18-01-2021, 08:31   #5
batsi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by niloc1951 View Post
The ALKO VIN can't be the last one as Alko did not build the vehicle, Hymer did. Your Certificate of Registration confirms that.
I would forget about the tester, he/she obviously doesn't know their stuff regarding motor caravans, take the issue up with the RSA directly at

Vehicle Testing and Enforcement
Road Safety Authority
Clonfert House
Bride Street
Loughrea
Co Galway

Tel: 091 872600
Email: vt@rsa.ie
Thank's for the reply.
I will ring them today and update.
Best regards, John.
batsi is offline  
Advertisement
26-01-2021, 14:00   #6
batsi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18
Went back today and they were going to test it as an LGV. They checked the Hymer VIN against the ALCO plate and the VIN was different. I then checked the Hymer VIN on a German site and it came uo as a Hymer Camper. So it looks as if I will have to contact the CVRT again. I also found the first Registration Cert from Germany and it shows the Max weight as 3500kg.

I have just rang Donagheys ( Main Hymer Dealer) in Letterkenny and a very helpful man Jerry told me the plate on the body of the Camper I have does show the Hymer Serial number and that's not the VIN number of the Vehicle. I then rang the CVRT tester and he said he would contact the RSA and get back to me. So I will just wait and see.

Last edited by batsi; 26-01-2021 at 14:02. Reason: Update
batsi is offline  
04-02-2021, 15:56   #7
batsi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18
Everything sorted now, had the test yesterday and passed as LGV. Camper should be classed as 3500kg on the Cert so I wont have a problem with the insurance or the License. I would like to thank you all for your help, without it I would have had a long road ahead of me.

Thanks again, John.
batsi is offline  
(4) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet