Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much can you bend a bus bar?

Options
  • 10-10-2019 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

title, just had a bit of very basic work done adding a few new sockets and some lights and the electican added new mcbs to the board, but last night I heard something like a snap. in the morning I noticed that 3 of the mcbs were after moving now I'm wondering if they just slid out of place or are the new mcbs putting pressure on the bar and in turn after pushing out the mcbs? I've checked inside the cover and nothing appears to be broken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Probably best you throw up a picture

• Registered Users Posts: 14 testings56

Probably best you through up a picture

no probs

http://imgur.com/a/eFOpHXc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Very poor workmanship. Apart from poorly installed busbar that other cable (looks like a 1.5mm sq. PVC/PVC) should not be there. Obviously it would make much more sense only to use dimensionally identical MCBs.

I would be concerned that the connections made with the busbar are not good enough. This could result in over heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

testings56 wrote: »

Looks like discoloration on right side.....

It wouldn't be great to be honest, could come loose or even arc over time.

2011 wrote: »
    Very poor workmanship. Apart from poorly installed busbar that other cable (looks like a 1.5mm sq. PVC/PVC) should not be there. Obviously it would make much more sense only to use dimensionally identical MCBs.

I would be concerned that the connections made with the busbar are not good enough. This could result in over heating.

the wire I think is 16mm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

the wire I think is 16mm

That’s considerably better!
    Better again would be if it was panel flex so that it would not strain the connection with a ferrule crimped on to the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

I’m assuming there is a cover for that distribution board.
    Any chance of a photo of the whole board
    Another example of poor workmanship alright
    Was it was a rec that did this as it’s an criminal offense otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Holy Lord

meercat wrote: »

yes there's a cover I just took it off to see what was after happening when I saw the mcbs were after moving, yes he was a rec, I can take a photo of the board when I get back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

One of the mcb’s has tripped out. Was that the snapping you heard?

• Advertisement

Cerco wrote: »
    One of the mcb’s has tripped out. Was that the snapping you heard?

no that's for an outdoor socket and to prevent deadbeat neighbours driving up my electricity bill that stays off when not in use. I think the general consensus here is that this needs sorting, I ring the electrician in the morning and get this fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

yes there's a cover I just took it off to see what was after happening when I saw the mcbs were after moving, yes he was a rec, I can take a photo of the board when I get back

I'm not being funny but you are not legally allowed to remove the cover from the DB.

That said, the devices are clearly non-compatible and the busbar has been deformed to accommodate these. It's not acceptable and could pose a hazard.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I'm not being funny but you are not legally allowed to remove the cover from the DB.

Thats true.
    However in this case it is just as well that he did as the REC left the board in a sorry state.

Now that the OP is aware of the issue he can get it addressed by a competent electrician (I would recommend steering clear of the previous REC).

Thats true.
    However in this case it is just as well that he did as the REC left the board in a sorry state.

Now that the OP is aware of the issue he can get it addressed by a competent electrician (I would recommend steering clear of the previous REC).

well rest assured the cover is back on and staying on till I get some rec to sort it, I was thinking about calling your man but I'd say I'll get a new rec to take care of it.

thanks for all the advise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Risteard81 wrote: »

That said, the devices are clearly non-compatible and the busbar has been deformed to accommodate these.

Has the busbar been modified?

Bruthal wrote: »
    Has the busbar been modified?

Bent....

Bent....

Many busbars are bent and it is not necessarily an issue. It depends on how they are bent and whether they are designed to be bent or not.

47148860391_4ffe96f3bd.jpg

Many busbars are bent and it is not necessarily an issue. It depends on how they are bent and whether they are designed to be bent or not.

47148860391_4ffe96f3bd.jpg

Yes but the op one isn't even sitting into the MCB properly.

Yes but the op one isn't even sitting into the MCB properly.

I did point this out if you look back (see post #4). However this is different to bending busbars.

I did point this out if you look back (see post #4). However this is different to bending busbars.

I've bent them to fit but they were always connected fully into each MCB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

meercat wrote: »

Otherwise? It should be a criminal offence for a REC to carry out work like that. Another butcher identified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Just goes to show registration of a contractor does not guarantee anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Torsevt

Are u even allowed use uninsulated busbar on new work

Shouldn't it be ip2x

Torsevt wrote: »
    Are u even allowed use uninsulated busbar on new work

Preferred, but not mandatory. Have a loom at the photo I included in post #18, as you can imagine there would not be an insulated version of this. Direct contact will be prevented by the MCC enclosure.
    Shouldn't it be ip2x

It will be once the cover is fitted.

Preferred, but not mandatory. Have a loom at the photo I included in post #18, as you can imagine there would not be an insulated version of this. Direct contact will be prevented by the MCC enclosure.

It will be once the cover is fitted.

Ip2x means you can take off the cover and poke your finger round relatively safely

Its not when the covers on the DB

One is a busbar chamber or enclosure

You would isolate before removing cover

A DB you won't always hence the insulation

Ip2x means you can take off the cover and poke your finger round relatively safely

That is not the definition of IP2X

One is a busbar chamber or enclosure

Yes, in which case it exceeds the requirements of IP2X.
    You would isolate before removing cover

A DB you won't always hence the insulation

In both cases isolating before removing the cover is an option.

That is not the definition of IP2X

Maybe not but the point is you can poke a finger around Inside a new DB

• Advertisement

Maybe not but the point is you can poke a finger around Inside a new DB

Agreed, that is why I said insulated busbar was “preferred”.

I’m not trying to be smart, but it is not possible to to make direct contact with the busbar when the cover is in place. The same applies to lots of electrical kit within an installation. The point is that insulated busbar is not a mandatory requirement.

We have a lot of people (often REC’s) on this forum incorrectly stating what the rules require.

Advertisement