Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retirement due to ill health (help)

Options
  • 09-10-2019 7:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi
    I have been working in the same public job for over 20 years, I now and for the last 5 years found myself suffering from chronic widespread pain syndrome and osteoarthritis of both knees and lower back, I also have chronic tendonitis of ankles and other tendons.
    I have also been on anti depressants for almost 30 years
    Now work was difficult with pain but I can no longer keep up and find myself distressed and wanting to cry
    I cannot keep the smile on anymore I go to work go home and sleep I don't go into town anymore or have a social life of any kind. Wondering would I be accepted to leave on health grounds and would I qualify for invadilty pension. Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

redcatstar wrote: »
    Hi
    I have been working in the same public job for over 20 years, I now and for the last 5 years found myself suffering from chronic widespread pain syndrome and osteoarthritis of both knees and lower back, I also have chronic tendonitis of ankles and other tendons.
    I have also been on anti depressants for almost 30 years
    Now work was difficult with pain but I can no longer keep up and find myself distressed and wanting to cry
    I cannot keep the smile on anymore I go to work go home and sleep I don't go into town anymore or have a social life of any kind. Wondering would I be accepted to leave on health grounds and would I qualify for invadilty pension. Any advice appreciated

You dont seem to have much going on in your life other than work. It may make your depression worse to not have any routine. What would you do if you didn't work? You should talk to your Doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭redcatstar

Zenify wrote: »
    You dont seem to have much going on in your life other than work. It may make your depression worse to not have any routine. What would you do if you didn't work? You should talk to your Doctor.

I've thought about this , one reason not much going on in my life apart from work , is because I have to recover from work to go back into work , I know that may sound strange but it's my reality, I do have a partner , grown children and a grandchild but I see them in my house ,only go out for special occasions,

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

I would probably take some time off before completely giving up. I dont think anybody online is qualified enough or knows about your situation in enough detail to give you a good answer. You need to make this decision with the guidance of both your gp and counselor. You probably also require your gp to sign the paperwork for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,849 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Prioritize your health and wellbeing, take time out definitely.

Research alternative therapy that you can help manage those symptoms such as hydrotherapy which I believe would be very good. I used a company called Hydro Health in Harold’s Cross but on looking now their website is down, twitter too so it might be they are no longer active unfortunately but research for other companies I feel based on my own experience a low impact rehabilitative program such as hydro could add to your wellbeing..

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

Ask to see the Occupational Health doctor in your organisation. They may be able to recommend adaptations to your work environment or an internal transfer that would make work bearable.

Check with your pensions section about what you would be entitled to if you were to retire on health grounds in the next six months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,849 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Advertisement